PDA

View Full Version : FSX Troubles - I Need Some Help Guys

dougal
November 10th, 2010, 01:16
I've got the most bizarre problem...

Couple of days ago I installed several new aircraft - a mix of pay & freeware.

Now, almost every aircraft I start a flight with, immediately shuts down the engines when FSX starts, requiring a restart.

MUCH worse though, once restarted and in the air, they shut down again after a few mins!!!

They seem to be running out fuel even though the tanks are full, as most of the avionics stay on.

The only aircraft not affected are those which appear to have their own engine logic, such as the A2A Accusim models.

Everything from the cessnas to boeings! I've rebuilt the cfg file and deleted ALL saved flights and created a new default flight, but it's still the same.

Any ideas guys?

Hurricane91
November 10th, 2010, 01:37
Doug, were these new aircraft installs for FSX or FS9 portovers?

dougal
November 10th, 2010, 02:28
Most were FSX native, but there were one or two FS9 portovers.

I have since gone through the 'Gauges' folder, painstakingly removing each and every new gauge file, replacing where neccassary with backup originals.

Still it persists:banghead:

dougal
November 10th, 2010, 02:30
I very vaguely remember something like this from someone else, but I can't find it here or on Avsim.

What ring bells is that it MAY have been a corrupt xml file???? But that's just a poor guess.

txnetcop
November 10th, 2010, 02:34
Well I was going to say a corrupt XML file...did you mention you had erased the original fsx.cfg file and let FSX rebuild a new one?

Daube
November 10th, 2010, 02:54
I'd say it might be a problem with the default flight.
What happens if you start a flight with the default Baron, check the fuel payload and swith the plane completely ON with CTRL+E, then save the filght as default ?

dougal
November 10th, 2010, 03:10
Tried all of the above - several times:isadizzy:

Daube
November 10th, 2010, 04:44
Any new modules installed lately ?

Merlin216
November 10th, 2010, 04:58
I dont know if you have ever assigned mixture to an axis, but after I had done so it was effecting my jet engines. I had left the axis in a weird position, and after startup or just a touch of throttle the engines would die. I had the same thing happen in the air after they had been running for a couple of minutes before take off too. I am pretty sure that was fixed after I disabled the mixture and/or the prop pitch axis.

Sounds silly I know, but worth a shot if you have done so.

PRB
November 10th, 2010, 05:41
I dont know if you have ever assigned mixture to an axis, but after I had done so it was effecting my jet engines. I had left the axis in a weird position, and after startup or just a touch of throttle the engines would die. I had the same thing happen in the air after they had been running for a couple of minutes before take off too. I am pretty sure that was fixed after I disabled the mixture and/or the prop pitch axis.

Sounds silly I know, but worth a shot if you have done so.

Not silly at all. This has happened to me a couple of times. Definately go over your control assignments, looking for assignments that FS made to buttons or axis you're not aware of and didn't want.

mal998
November 10th, 2010, 05:47
If all else fails, you can always Restore to a time before the problems showed up. It might be easier to do that, rather than spending a lot of time trying to figure what went wrong with your various installs.

dougal
November 10th, 2010, 07:30
I will check and reset all my axis commands.

I can't 'restore' as I have Win7 Restore turned off to save resourses.

Also, I can't use my FSX backup drive, as this is a NEW backup, made AFTER installing the new addons.

As for modules. Presumeably, most payware addons install modules of sort or another. So probably yes. But how would I know what they are...?

heywooood
November 10th, 2010, 07:38
I recently downloaded and installed the Super Cub amphib. package from Flight Replicas and had a similar problem

Upon aircraft selection (which had its own problem) I found that the engine would not start...no matter what I tried. Selected a different plane from my hangar and - same problem

uh-oh

Finally I went into the 'fuel and payload' selection screen in FSX and saw that the tanks were empty in the Cub...selected 50% fuel and saved the flight - no problems after that.

*the problem I had at initial startup with the FR Cub was that I got an error message when I selected the Red/White Cub..."invalid .air file" - I finally traced it and found that the name of the .air file in the Red/WhiteCub's .cfg contained a typo...I just copied the line from the Yellow Cubs .cfg and it was cured.

hmmm - upon reviewing the OP I see that you have already addressed the fuel situation...it must therefore be a similar disruption of another setting as others here have suggested.

dougal
November 10th, 2010, 14:25
Thank you for the feedback guys.

It turned out to be a hardware controller issue.

I have yoke & pedal PLUS a Saitek X-52 stick plugged in.

There were conflicting settings between the the yoke and the X52.