PDA

View Full Version : STOL/VTOL enhancement for VTOL-capable aircraft

rcbarend
November 9th, 2010, 17:09
Hi,

Note: allthough for general interrest, this post is particularly intended for flightsimmers that:
- Own / enjoy flying the Alphasim/Virtavia V22 Osprey.
- Use my current VTOL addon for it.
- Have some understanding on the flightbehaviour of such a tiltrotor, especially in "conversion"and "helicopter" modes.
- Have some time available for, and interrested in, testing.

In my "quest" for the "perfect" VTOL solution for VTOL-capable aircraft like Harriers, Tiltrotors, and alike, I think I have reached a new milestone for my gauge-coded VTOL-addon :jump:.
Improvements summerised:
- A more realistic hover/VTOL performance.
- Simulation of features like ground-effect and HOGE limitations.
- Reduction of "conversion-mode" limitations. In fact, the entire flightmodel for all stages-of-flight with nacelles/nozzles rotated other then cruise-flight position is now controlled in gauge-code, thus bypassing the limitations of the FSX-flaps modelling that is normally used to simulatate rotated nacelles/nozzles.

As said, my prime focus at this moment is to perfect the flightmodel for the Alphasim/Virtavia V22 Osprey ( I had to start somewhere :)), but I will eventually tweak this addon for other VTOL-capable aircraft as well.

If you qualily as a flightsimmer described under the "Note" above, you can contact me via normal Email (not: the Email/PM system of this forum) for a test package; my Email address is in my addons.
Please, serious (and appropriate, as described) requests only.

And, needless to say, my "VTOL" developments are, and will always remain, freeware (although sometimes packaged in payware aircraft).

Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Lionheart
November 9th, 2010, 18:10
Many thanks Rob for posting this and letting us know.

I had the FSX smaller VTOL tilt rotor in its first release, and I thought that was brilliant. I guess you have updated that several times from what I heard. Loved the ground born taxi feature. That was really impressive.

Keep up the great work.

Bill

mmann
November 9th, 2010, 18:29
After logging many hours on the Alphasim V22 Osprey with your VTOL addon I was convinced that you already had the "perfect" VTOL solution for VTOL-capable aircraft!

Keep up the great work!!

Regards, Mike Mann

PutPut
November 9th, 2010, 20:35
I didn't think it could get better!!:salute::salute:

Paul

Daube
November 10th, 2010, 00:59
Great news !
Last time I tested your VTOL modules, it was to include them to Piglet's Cylon transporter.
One of the main problems was that the pitch angle of the aircraft was determining a fix speed for the aircraft, rather than an acceleration.
Did you change that ?

Lateral-G
November 10th, 2010, 10:20
Rob,

Your VTOL gauges have made the Harrier and V-22 much more fun to fly.

Thanks for all you do!

-G-

rcbarend
November 10th, 2010, 12:37
Great news !
Last time I tested your VTOL modules, it was to include them to Piglet's Cylon transporter.
One of the main problems was that the pitch angle of the aircraft was determining a fix speed for the aircraft, rather than an acceleration.
Did you change that ?
Well, that was not so much a "problem", more a "limitation" of how I implemented it. :icon_lol:

In my new implementation it's a mixture of "pitch-determines-target-speed" and accelleration to this target speed dependant on pitch&thrust.
And inclusion of the lacking delay/lag from inertia (obviously when you pitch down, airspeed should not increase immediately, but with a certain delay).

But I must admit I'm still strugling with the "perfect" formula for speed control...
If only I could get my hands on a decent spec or, even better, finding someone who has handson flying experiance with the real thing.

The main new feature however, is that the whole "conversion" mode (nacelles/nozzles between 0 and 90 degrees) is now under gauge control, thus removing the dreaded FS-flaps drag/lift function (causing the awkward transition effects).
But it remains "educated-guess" work, since real-world spec for such (usually military) aircraft are impossible to get.

Cheers, Rob

PS: although my current (and new) implementation may be a lot better than anything achievable with the standard FS FDE model, I'm far from satisfied myself yet. Which is good news for y'all :icon_lol:

Sundog
November 10th, 2010, 15:20
This is great news, as I've really enjoyed what your gauges have brought to the VTOL/STOVL environment in FS.