PDA

View Full Version : My E-mail account was hacked

OBIO
November 8th, 2010, 16:51
I logged in to check my e-mail just a bit ago only to find that my account had been hacked. I had a lot of puzzled and/or angry e-mails from people who got e-mails "from me" that contained some weird links or some such. That account has now been deactivated. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone in my contact list who received bad e-mails from my address.

I will be setting up a new e-mail account in a day or two...want to do some checking to see which of the free e-mail services is the best.

If anyone of you get an e-mail from my old account (suicidepooper@yahoo.com) do not open it. Trash it immediately!

And as a precaution, even though my anti-virus sweeps have found nothing on my system, I am going to nuke my system and rebuild it.

Tim

johnh_049
November 8th, 2010, 16:58
Sounds like you got a trojan the took over your address book. good luck getting rid of it, they can be a real pain.

OleBoy
November 8th, 2010, 16:59
i got one this morning OBIO. In fact I still have it.
....I just checked again and another came in. There was a link attached to each

DON'T COPY AND PASTE THEM IN YOUR BROWSER!!

h@@p://goo.gl/YB9jM
h@@p://goo.gl/LEsHZ

OBIO
November 8th, 2010, 17:02
Johnh

It is for that very reason that I am going to spend the next couple days formatting, deep cleaning, reinstalling and rebuilding my system. Trojans can't hide from a 32 pass over write.

Tim

Roadburner440
November 8th, 2010, 17:05
A 32 pass overwrite is pretty intense. I would hope nothing can hide from that. Sorry to hear someone got into your mail box. I hate when stuff happens to the computer. Unfortunately that is one of the downsides to the world wide web, and also why my FSX computer is not the one I surf the web on. Is ashame have to go through such drastic measures cause of no-lifers that have nothing better to do than infect peoples computers.

Jagdflieger
November 8th, 2010, 18:37
I got two of 'em from you, but as they had no subject and only the link in the body, I deleted them without opening the link.

Glad I didn't get curious!

sky pilot
November 8th, 2010, 18:52
I logged in to check my e-mail just a bit ago only to find that my account had been hacked. I had a lot of puzzled and/or angry e-mails from people who got e-mails "from me" that contained some weird links or some such. That account has now been deactivated. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone in my contact list who received bad e-mails from my address.

I will be setting up a new e-mail account in a day or two...want to do some checking to see which of the free e-mail services is the best.

If anyone of you get an e-mail from my old account (suicidepooper@yahoo.com) do not open it. Trash it immediately!

And as a precaution, even though my anti-virus sweeps have found nothing on my system, I am going to nuke my system and rebuild it.

Tim I use thunder bird and have had no trouble with it at all,
sky pilot

sky pilot
November 8th, 2010, 18:58
A 32 pass overwrite is pretty intense. I would hope nothing can hide from that. Sorry to hear someone got into your mail box. I hate when stuff happens to the computer. Unfortunately that is one of the downsides to the world wide web, and also why my FSX computer is not the one I surf the web on. Is ashame have to go through such drastic measures cause of no-lifers that have nothing better to do than infect peoples computers.

As for me I think they should take those guys out in the street and hang them out to die so everybody can see them,
sky pilot:jump:

PeteHam
November 8th, 2010, 19:49
Hi Tim,

That's a bugga.

I got a couple of 'your' weird emails this morning but trashed them without opening.

Pete.

demorier
November 8th, 2010, 20:01
Do you have a wireless modem ?? The hackers seem to be having a field day with those things these days. Mine's all hard wired.

johnh_049
November 8th, 2010, 20:08
Johnh

It is for that very reason that I am going to spend the next couple days formatting, deep cleaning, reinstalling and rebuilding my system. Trojans can't hide from a 32 pass over write.

Tim

i use a program called spyware blaster that does a pretty good job of keeping those nasties off my computer.

hey_moe
November 9th, 2010, 01:23
Sorry to hear about all this. I have found out the best way to prevent this is on your main hard drive keep no info including documents, pictures..ect..ect. On my main hard drive all I have on it is the sites I visit and email.I have a back drive I save everything I want to save and a third drive for FSX and all other games. It is way to easy to just format the C drive when there is nothing on it to save.

stansdds
November 9th, 2010, 01:57
Sounds like a trojan, not a hack. Trojans are quite common and MicroSoft Outlook Express seems to be particularly vulnerable. Run a good anti-virus program at all times, I also recommend SpyWare Blaster, keep both up to date and don't use Outlook Express for email.

Cazzie
November 9th, 2010, 02:48
I got a mail from your Yahoo, but since it did not have a header name, I deleted it immediately as I always do.

OBIO, I cannot help you from having your email hacked, but I can give you a little tip on how to set up the account so that it does not send the Trojan spam out to others.

When a Trojan sends mail out it always sends mail to the first person in your Address Book and then to every other soul alphabetically.

Open your email Address Book and hit New Contact. For the name, type in !000 and for the address, type in !000@killspam.com.

This will put !000 at the top of your email Address book and any Trojan trying to send mail from your mail will be stopped at the first entry and not be able to carry on to others on your list.

Caz

Trans_23
November 9th, 2010, 08:59
Thanks Caz. I don't have a problem with e-mails but applied your solution just in case.

sky pilot
November 9th, 2010, 11:32
Sorry to hear about all this. I have found out the best way to prevent this is on your main hard drive keep no info including documents, pictures..ect..ect. On my main hard drive all I have on it is the sites I visit and email.I have a back drive I save everything I want to save and a third drive for FSX and all other games. It is way to easy to just format the C drive when there is nothing on it to save.
I got one that I do not have in the rig with all of the files for the whole thing on it and if it goes down I just boot from it and then move to a diff. drive llater,
sky pilot:salute:

stansdds
November 9th, 2010, 13:22
I got a mail from your Yahoo, but since it did not have a header name, I deleted it immediately as I always do.

OBIO, I cannot help you from having your email hacked, but I can give you a little tip on how to set up the account so that it does not send the Trojan spam out to others.

When a Trojan sends mail out it always sends mail to the first person in your Address Book and then to every other soul alphabetically.

Open your email Address Book and hit New Contact. For the name, type in !000 and for the address, type in !000@killspam.com.

This will put !000 at the top of your email Address book and any Trojan trying to send mail from your mail will be stopped at the first entry and not be able to carry on to others on your list.

Caz
Great tip!