PDA

View Full Version : Computers, PDA's, iPod, and technology!

Lionheart
November 24th, 2008, 23:23
You guys,

I have to tell you. I recently purchased an iPod Touch 16Gig. I was looking for a PDA to replace my antiquated old HP Jornada. I decided upon the iPod because of the many built in Apps and the ability to hold 16 gigs of data.

I have almost filled this thing up with so much incredible information that it will soon be full! LOLOLOL....

I have games, a Bible with perhaps 30 versions, 6 or 8 are in English, others in other languages. I have a flight sim, Notes, nature sounds (for falling asleep), translater (so many languages, to many to list), dictionary, and the list goes on... That is 'Apps' which is Apple/iPod lingo for programs or 'applications'.

Next, I have a ton of movies I put in it, mainly clips. One movie (A Good Year), Last Exile episodes (3), tons of fave TV evangelists like Joel Osteen, Charles Capps, Joyce Meyers, Andrew Womack, TD Jakes... Then I have audio only Podcasts, and then some fave YouTube bits I downloaded and saved.

Tonight, I found some freeware Apps. Got it all downloaded and installed or 'Synced'. One group was the 'University of North Dakota' flight school Podcasts, mini TV shows of flight training by a couple of young gentlemen that teach there. BRILLIANT! 28 in all.... (yep.. twenty eight episodes.. from 5 min's to 30 min's).

I found 2 pages (the size of my monitor screen) on the iTunes Store website (shows 'in' the iTunes program) of a post search for Pilots and Flight Apps. A huge number of programs, from a Garmin G1000 simulator, to the most coolest Pilots flight plan program that included all forms of conversions, flight computer for cross winds, downloads all weather station data (yep... movies, etc), and all the rest....

Then as I sit here checking that my episodes from UND all downloaded, I get a star by my Apps logo. Seems I have 2 updates. I click on them, and select yes, update, etc. It has just finished downloading the program updates for a couple of Apps I had got in the past.

It can go online because this darn thing has a built in WiFi! Its the thickness of regular cardboard that boxes are made of, fairly thin, about 1/3rd of my Jornada with its extended battery pack sticking out the back...

The battery lasts longer, the screen is huge and made of 'glass', the case is Aluminum not plastic, holds 16 GIGS! of data instead of 512 megs, lol..

I am just so amazed at this 'jump' in technology that I had to share it so others may know that things like this really exist...

I just wanted a PDA for holding business notes on, lol.... I have a complete computer that I can 'hide' in my hand, put in my shirt pocket. The size of a thin metal business card case.

How???? lol..

Bill

hey_moe
November 25th, 2008, 01:53
They are sweet. I brought a 32 gig for Linda so she can install her misic and pictures. Shw has used it maybe three times and it sits in her desk...lol. The screen is sweet and yes you are right...very light weight and flat...Mike

Moparmike
November 25th, 2008, 07:54
I'm still eyeballing the next replacement for my ole Palm TX. Really hate to switch platforms, but it looks like I'm gonna have to eventually since PalmOS is pretty much a dinosaur nowadays.

A co-worker just picked up an iPod Touch and it's kind of appealing but I'm still holding out. If the palmtops (like the Eee) would shrink in size just a wee bit more, I might forego the PDA altogether and go that route next time.

Lionheart
November 25th, 2008, 09:13
Hey Mike,

Roger that. I had forgotten you were a Palm OS guy. I was worried about iPod working with vista, but it does quite well. Has a built in web navigator called 'Safari' which I can use to read the posts here at SOH. Reads PDF files, etc. There are also perhaps several thousand Apps you can download now for the iPod lines, (read that last night on Yahoo).

So the iPod can offer you flexibility.

For anyone that is interested and want to see one up close and talk with someone that knows them, find an Apple store. They will usually have demos running.

Bill

bluediamond
November 27th, 2008, 07:20
Congrats on the awesome purchase.I've had my Touch for about a year and don't know how I would survive without it.Mine is also the 16GB version of which about 8GB is used up.Mostly audio books and apps.If you want a great screen protector I highly recommend the power support anti glare film.You can check it out HERE (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP871LL/A?mco=A9E8CCA8&fnode=standard%2Fhome%2Fshop_ipod%2Fipod_accessori es%2Fcases).Cuts down the glare just enough so that finger prints and smudge marks aren't noticable.You get two films per pack and they are super easy to install and can even be removed and reattached if needed.

Michael

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 09:09
Thanks Michael,

I actually had already purchased a pack of Griffin screen protectors. Held on by static, and they are 'thick'! Amazing that the screen is still super fine touch sensitive 'with' a screen protector one. Must be a new technology on the touch screens...

For an outer case cover, (back side and edges), I got a cool rubbery cover by Belkin. Fits it like a glove, comes off real easy, and you get two per a pack. The texture/grip really makes it easier to handle over the polished aluminum stock exterior. (I was always afraid I would drop it, but with the rubberised exterior, its not a fear anymore).

Bill