PDA

View Full Version : Who's cooking what for Thanks Giving??

Lionheart
November 24th, 2008, 22:17
Hey guys,

Just curious what everyone has going for Thanks Giving day dinner. :d

Regular Turkey here.

My family in the South (Louisianna) love to cook the turkey in a giant deep frier, powered by Butane! Sounds pretty wild, but its actually quite good. Cooks in like 20 or 30 min's as well. Problem though is what to do with all that oil when you are done.

Any one breaking away from tradition and making something new??

:ernae:

Bill

(Curious to know what Tom Constantine is making... He is the chef guru....)

OBIO
November 25th, 2008, 02:32
I have had Thanksgiving dinner twice already this month. On the 1st, the family got together for the big feast while my nephew was home from Iraq on leave...he is now back in Baghdad. Last Thursday, the Rehab Center had Thanksgiving dinner so that family members could come in and eat with their loved ones....6 of us ate with my wife. Come Thanksgiving Day, a few of us are going to grab a big, cheesey, topping heavy pizza and take it in to the Rehab Center and have a laid back Thanksgiving Day celebration with my wife.

With luck Deb will be home for Christmas....which will make the holiday bright in deed.

OBIO

Cazzie
November 25th, 2008, 02:59
Well, there'll be bird, but in my parts, Thanksgiving means ham, which will be served also. Pecan and brown sugar pie (for those that can't eat pecans, me). Stuffing, mashed 'taters, green beans (snaps), homemade biscuits (not those frozen or refrigerated kind), cornbread, and BEER! :d

We usually have Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house and Christmas dinner at my house. Christmas has about the same menu, save more sweets, which I avoid. Except pie, Cazzie loves pie! :d

Caz

jmig
November 25th, 2008, 03:20
I always do the turkey. Inject it 24 hours before and then roast it. On Saturday, it becomes turkey and andouille gumbo.

Lionheart, I didn't know you were from Louisiana. :jump:

cheezyflier
November 25th, 2008, 05:12
DUDE!!!!!!!! deep fried turkey is the best!!!!!!!!!! also the fastest :d

i wish i could do that here, but it's not doable in a high rise apt. :banghead:

we did canadian thanksgiving already, last month. we usually do american thanksgiving as well, but not this year. we are having pepper steak.

Snuffy
November 25th, 2008, 05:45
I'm going with something truly unique this year.

I'm going to have a couple grilled balony sandwiches, a handful of chips and a beer or two. :d

<edit> OH! It's turkey balony!! </edit>

Henry
November 25th, 2008, 06:14
Fried Turkey here
my first :redf:
H

brad kaste
November 25th, 2008, 06:17
....I'll be preparing my two annual-traditional onion pies for Turkey Day......gobble gobble........

Piglet
November 25th, 2008, 06:40
Dog, big question, which breed?:costumes:

Jagdflieger
November 25th, 2008, 07:08
Pheasant with wild rice and giblets, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, cranberry bread and whatever else the girls prepare in the kitchen. The bird dog and I bagged the pheasants a few days ago and all that's left to do is to pick up the accouterments. I'll probably open up a bottle of Spaetlesung Riesling Wine to go with the dinner and finish it off with a good coffee and perhaps a wee dram of Scotch.

lifejogger
November 25th, 2008, 07:34
Turkey what else would there be? Also stuffing, mash potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, green been casserole, cucumbers and onions, home made cranberry sauces, hot rolls and the list goes on and on. :jump:

Moparmike
November 25th, 2008, 07:49
Pheasant with wild rice and giblets, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, cranberry bread and whatever else the girls prepare in the kitchen. The bird dog and I bagged the pheasants a few days ago and all that's left to do is to pick up the accouterments. I'll probably open up a bottle of Spaetlesung Riesling Wine to go with the dinner and finish it off with a good coffee and perhaps a wee dram of Scotch.

I'm with Jagd...pheasant.
Since I'll be at work on T-Day and the plant is shut down for the holiday, the skeleton maintenance crew on night shift is gonna be doing a potluck type of thing. I'm gonna cook up a couple roosters and the other guys are bringing the rest.

hey_moe
November 25th, 2008, 07:51
Well Linda got the dirty deed on Thursday:costumes: Looks like we got stuck with 23 family members....lol. Diner will be servered at 4:00....I'll be headed down to the homeless shelter and donate some serving and cooking time for a bit...Mike

Lionheart
November 25th, 2008, 09:25
Well Linda got the dirty deed on Thursday:costumes: Looks like we got stuck with 23 family members....lol. Diner will be servered at 4:00....I'll be headed down to the homeless shelter and donate some serving and cooking time for a bit...Mike

Thats awesome Mike. Inspiring that you do that every year. I need to figure out something to do here to help out.

Jagdflieger

Goodness! Sounds like something out of a Hemmingway novel! Sounds good!

Brad Kaste,

What is in those Onion Pies? Got my curiosity going. Cajuns live on spices and 'oane - yee-ohns..' (as the great Cajun chef Justin Wilson used to say).

:d

srgalahad
November 25th, 2008, 09:36
It'll be a bit different this year... already did bird for Thanksgiving here in Canada but my wifes American so we get a second chance. Might be Turkey Enchiladas though as we'll be 'down Mexico way' come Wednesday.
Actually the place we're staying will probably have the regular turkey/ham dinner so all's safe.

GT182
November 25th, 2008, 09:43
Srgalahad, nothing is safe in Mexico.... you should know that. ;) :costumes:

Deep fried turkey here this year.

brad kaste
November 25th, 2008, 10:07
What is in those Onion Pies? Got my curiosity going. Cajuns live on spices and 'oane - yee-ohns..' (as the great Cajun chef Justin Wilson used to say).

Hi Bill,
Onion pie. Yeah,....I know it sounds strange but it works. Especially if you like onions. Some years ago I came across reading about onion pies. My first reaction was like so many other persons,.........hmmmm,.....interesting. (Not wanting to say or think it sounds bizarre or awful:d)
So I 'Googled' onion pies. Bango! There's page after page on different types of onion pies one can make. Much like chili or spaghetti sauce,....it can be messed and played with to suit one's own taste.
I wasn't pleased with my concoction from last year so I'm usin' this one. It calls for Vandalia onions. Costco sells sweet onions from Peru which I'll substitute instead.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vidalia-Onion-Pie/Detail.aspx
No,...I don't make the dough for the pie crust. Pillsbury does that. What I'll add that's not called for are some pine nuts and walnuts AND bacon bits. The only thing I wouldn't do is put a complete crust covering over the top of pie. It'll keep too much moisture in. Dough strips will work though.
Trust me,....you'll wow family and friends if you serve it. But be prepared some may not want to take even a bite.
(If you fix it,...be sure to serve it with the meal,....not as dessert afterwards)

cheezyflier
November 25th, 2008, 12:19
Pheasant with wild rice and giblets...

i remember my first pheasant to this very day. i was 14 when i got my first one. i knocked it down and it hit the ground runnin, through what seemed like a mile of stickers. once i retrieved it, i proudly took it home and cleaned it and my buddies mom cooked it. she had never cooked one before. it was like chewing on the inside of a golf ball. :costumes:

Odie
November 25th, 2008, 12:46
Traditional Turkey-in-the-oven
chicken-n-dressing
home-made gravy
english sweet peas
niblet corn
stringbean casserole
rolls
cranberry sauce
cheesecake

Willy
November 25th, 2008, 13:11
Having a big to do next door at Mrs Willy's folks. Brother in law is going to deep fry a turkey, Mrs Willy is baking a ham, I'm going to cook up some venison tenderloin and bake a couple of pecan pies. Other than that, there should be the usual trimmings of dressing, cranberry sauce, corn, etc.

Brian_Gladden
November 25th, 2008, 13:54
Doing the big turkey dinner. Fortunately, We'll be having dinner at my Girlfriends cousin's house. Her husband is a trained chef so it will be a good feed. Lots of stuffing, rolls, vegies etc.Apple and pumpkin pie for desert... Yum

Brian

Moparmike
November 25th, 2008, 13:54
Hi Bill,
Onion pie. Yeah,....I know it sounds strange but it works. Especially if you like onions. Some years ago I came across reading about onion pies. My first reaction was like so many other persons,.........hmmmm,.....interesting. (Not wanting to say or think it sounds bizarre or awful:d)

Dang Brad...now ya got me thinking. I haven't had onion pie in years. It is a unique side dish, but yep if you like onions that is good.

Good stuff!

TARPSBird
November 25th, 2008, 14:30
Standard Thanksgiving dinner at our house! :d
Turkey & Dressing
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Turnips
Homemade Chocolate Cake
(wife makes Cool Whip & Cream Cheese frosting - sounds weird, tastes great)
Bottle of Asti Spumante (the cheap stuff)

GT182
November 25th, 2008, 14:36
:173go1: Almost forgot... scalloped oysters. Gotta have them for the Holidays. :d

Trans_23
November 25th, 2008, 15:48
My daughter is dancing in the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade so we will be getting on the bus sometime early morning Thursday and getting home in the afternoon sometime. Maybe I will pick up some turkey pot pies for dinner later that day. :d I am going to miss a traditional Thanksgiving day with turkey and football but there is always next year.

rayrey10
November 25th, 2008, 16:28
Well since I'm a mutt aka "multi-ethinic" we'll be having a little bit from alot of places:

Traditional Turkey
Roast Pork
Rice & Pigeon Peas
Stuffing
Mashed green plantains
tamales
Yams (not sweet potatoes)
Bread fruit
Cheesecake
Pumpkin Pie

Can't wait. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! :applause::applause::applause:

pointy31
November 25th, 2008, 17:54
We are in Katy, Texas for Thanksgiving, visiting my daughter and family (husband and grandkids). We are having a spiral-baked ham with all the trimmings. Afterward, I'll sit on the back patio, sip a good scotch and water, and see what interesting airplanes come out of Covey Trails, the little airpark next to her neighborhood. Today, I saw a faux-Zero (T-6), who knows what else is lurking over there. I saw a real Spitfire this past summer, and a "military" Aeronca Champ/L-16...couldn't tell for sure which model it was. On Friday, I'll have left-overs, if there is any scotch left...

GT182
November 25th, 2008, 18:10
Pointy, I've never heard of "leftover" Scotch. Is that a new brand-name? ;) :costumes:

jmig
November 25th, 2008, 18:13
Pointy, I've never heard of "leftover" Scotch. Is that a new brand-name? ;) :costumes:

No, that's called too small of a bottle.

MCDesigns
November 25th, 2008, 18:13
Pheasant with wild rice and giblets, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, cranberry bread and whatever else the girls prepare in the kitchen.

Mmmmmmmmmm, man that sounds good, might have to swap out my pork tenderloin for that now.

Me and the GF are doing dinner since I work in retail mgt and never get holidays off and her family are in Hawaii

Tenderloin, rich stuffing with wild mushrooms, fresh baked sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, choc bread pudding, and LOTS of wine - yum!

Wish I had time to hit my sisters in Houston. My brother in law is hispanic and has a huge family, talk about a killer spread during the holidays (awesome tamales!!)

Hope everyone has a nice holiday and stays safe :ernae:

pointy31
November 25th, 2008, 18:31
No, that's called to small of a bottle.

They are all too small...the worst scotch I've ever had was absolutely wonderful...:costumes:

If you have any scotch left-over, I'll be right-over...

Lionheart
November 25th, 2008, 19:33
They are all too small...the worst scotch I've ever had was absolutely wonderful...:costumes:

If you have any scotch left-over, I'll be right-over...

Has anyone ever had Slivovich? (I think thats what its called). Its a Plum brandy from Yugoslovia. Very 'Scotch like'.

(Maybe spelled Slivovitz?)

Jagdflieger
November 25th, 2008, 20:18
All this talk of Scotch sent me to the liquor cabinet for a dram of Glenrothes 15 year old. It was a hard decision to make as I was staring at more than a few bottles of God's gift to man.

Overshoe
November 25th, 2008, 20:41
:ernae:

Bill

(Curious to know what Tom Constantine is making... He is the chef guru....)

Strange as it may seem, diet & exercise have made me cut back on the extravagant Italian dishes so Lasagna is not on the menu this year. I have been fooling around with North African recipes (spiced chicken and vegetables in soups & stews) I need to get a tagine to do it right.

I do have a turkey breast in the freezer. I wonder how that would be with a Moroccan spice rub :)

Overshoe
November 25th, 2008, 20:44
....I'll be preparing my two annual-traditional onion pies for Turkey Day......gobble gobble........

I'd like the onion pie recipe. That sounds great. :applause::applause::applause:

Ahhh got it a couple messages down. Thanks

FlyTexas
November 25th, 2008, 20:58
The family and friends will be served...Herb Seasoned Roast Turkey (cooked breast-side down...YUM!!), Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Gravy, Stuffing, Lemon-Roasted Green Beans with Almonds, Potato Gratin with Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone Cheese, Roasted Butternut Squash With Sage, Rolls, Pumpkin Pie, and Pecan Pie. I very much enjoy cooking but after all this I'm sure I won't want to be in the kitchen for some time to come. :costumes:

Brian

srgalahad
November 25th, 2008, 22:29
Hmmm.. that Onion pie sounds good. It'll go fine with the tortiere I have to make for Christmas but I think I'll steal a little secret I found in California and add a whole bunch of .... garlic so it would be more appropriately and onion and garlic pie [burp!]

From what I was taught you can use a whole top crust. you just punch a hole in the top about the size of a silver dollar and cook it low and slow to let the juices boil off a bit more. The linked recipe only uses one shell (two pies) so with the eggs it's more like onion quiche.

Chaq'un a son gout!

Rob

Snuffy
November 26th, 2008, 03:28
My question is ... why would you ruin good scotch with water? Or Ice for that matter?

Straight untouched is the best way to enjoy a good scotch.

Course I like my whiskey the same way ... I guess its an aquired taste.

EgoR64
November 26th, 2008, 04:02
:jump: Yes, My Fav time of year !!

Turkey, Slow Cooked in Oven in Homemade Butter Sauce.
Honey Roasted Ham
Mashed Red Patatoes Homemade Gravy
Asini Depeppi Fruit Salad, or Frog Eye Salad
Sweet Patatoes with Melted Marsh mellows on Top (Mmmmmm)
Stuffing
Deviled Eggs & Vegi Tray

Happy T-Day to All !! :ernae:

Many Cheers !!

Lionheart
November 26th, 2008, 08:30
Strange as it may seem, diet & exercise have made me cut back on the extravagant Italian dishes so Lasagna is not on the menu this year. I have been fooling around with North African recipes (spiced chicken and vegetables in soups & stews) I need to get a tagine to do it right.

I do have a turkey breast in the freezer. I wonder how that would be with a Moroccan spice rub :)

LOLOL.... I knew you would have something wild planned but not that wild, lol... Sounds good. Tom, are you still running a cooking forum over there at the hanger?

Well since I'm a mutt aka "multi-ethinic" we'll be having a little bit from alot of places:

Traditional Turkey
Roast Pork
Rice & Pigeon Peas
Stuffing
Mashed green plantains
tamales
Yams (not sweet potatoes)
Bread fruit
Cheesecake
Pumpkin Pie

Can't wait. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! :applause::applause::applause:

RayRey10

Sounds great RayRey! Can you fill us Americans in on what 'Mashed green plantains' are? and 'Bread fruit' as well? I realise some parts of the world have veggies that we dont have here in the states. Italy has some wild veggies that we dont have, for instance..

Man... Building up that hunger for tomorrow! whewwwwwwwww...... lol

Bill

pointy31
November 26th, 2008, 09:16
My question is ... why would you ruin good scotch with water? Or Ice for that matter?

Straight untouched is the best way to enjoy a good scotch.

Course I like my whiskey the same way ... I guess its an aquired taste.

Water really isn't that bad once you get used to it...:costumes:

Lionheart
November 26th, 2008, 09:17
Lolol....

CG_1976
November 26th, 2008, 09:38
Our main Thanksgiving meal consist of The turkey i raised for the last year and Lamb. Of course Fresh Door county WI cranberries and variety of Cheese and sausage. Plenty of local brewed beer. As for desert we have pumpkin cheesecake and tortes, keylime pie all homemade from scratch. I also have 10 members of our family coming in from 5 different countries and there making something from there country. So this thankgiving is going to be a house full with international flare for the 1st time in 5 years. Countrys are Cuba USN, Canada, UK, Ireland, Russia.

smilo
November 26th, 2008, 10:08
We had deep fried turkey once, loved it.

hey Bill, that oil is bio-diesel!

my contribution is the Garlic Mashed Potatoes, with extra garlic.
I use Yukon Golds.
I peel and cut em up and put em in a big pot of cold water. when they come to a boil, they're done. I drain em good, then run em through my 1/8 inch ricer, add a stick of butter and cream. Smooooth.
Friday morning, I'll take the leftover spuds, add lots of eggs and pepper, then put large spoonfuls of the batter on the grill and cook until golden brown. mmm, mmm, mm.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Henry
November 26th, 2008, 16:00

after living there for a while
the food is good and healthy
a tagine is good but a heavy cast iron pot and a wok work
just as well, just dont have sheeps eyes
while tasty they are a pain to prepare:d
LOL
Happy thanksgiving
H

Overshoe
November 26th, 2008, 16:17
after living there for a while
the food is good and healthy
a tagine is good but a heavy cast iron pot and a wok work
just as well, just dont have sheeps eyes
while tasty they are a pain to prepare:d
LOL
Happy thanksgiving
H

I use a cast iron dutch oven actually. And I avoid sheep altogether :)
As it happens, I got an invitation to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow so I made Chorba tonight.

Henry
November 26th, 2008, 16:23
I use a cast iron dutch oven actually. And I avoid sheep altogether :)
As it happens, I got an invitation to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow so I made Chorba tonight.
but lamb is good
have a good one!
cheers
H:ernae:

Snuffy
November 26th, 2008, 18:51
Water really isn't that bad once you get used to it...:costumes:

OH I know ... I just can't stand the two mixed in one glass though.

It either has to be pure water or pure scotch. :d

Willy
November 26th, 2008, 20:28
The pecan pies are in the oven... :d

Lionheart
November 26th, 2008, 21:21
Because our kitchen is small, I was not granted permission to make some onion pies...

:banghead:

Oh well.... (several passengers in our 2 passenger kitchen is already too many.. I can see their point, lol...)

Cloud9Gal
November 27th, 2008, 04:16
Going to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving Dinner. She's the "Martha Stewart" of the neighborhood. And that's a compliment :)
She's an awesome cook. Aside, plenty of hors-d'oeuvres, she will have the traditional meal:

-Roasted Turkey (she lets her turkey soak in a mixture of brine and orange juice all night)
-Smashed potatoes and homemade gravy
-Dry and wet stuffing
-Green bean casserole "au gratin"
-Roasted brussel sprouts casserole (sprouts are cooked with butter, pieces of bacon and onions)
-Candied yams
-Cranberry jelly sauce
-Homemade rolls
-Pumpkin cheesecake
-Apple pie

I noticed several will be having "fried turkey". I hear that's good stuff! Never had the opportunity to try it. All I know is that turkey cooked in peanut oil sounds wonderful! Mmmmm!

Srgalahad- I can't believe you know what "tourtiere" is?? Wow! I have such a craving for those! People from Quebec make darn good ones! Growing up in NB, Canada, tourtieres were very much part of every holiday meal. Thanks for the memories...and the cravings! :jump:

Rami
November 27th, 2008, 04:25
What...no Turducken? :d

MCDesigns
November 27th, 2008, 14:32
What...no Turducken? :d

I actually saw a special on thanksgiving on modern marvels and they did a segment on what that is and how it is prepared......on the list for next year for sure, looked yummy!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo full right now, might have to pass on seconds, LOL.
Cheers! :ernae:

Willy
November 27th, 2008, 15:28
I'm stuffed. The deep fried turkey and my pies were hits.

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 20:34
Stuffed also........... Pain is gone though. (Took a nappie, lol).

We had a 'sweet corn pudding' caserole. Mix between a pie and a caserole. AWESOME...! A recipe from Alton Brown on the cooking channel, the program 'Good Eats'. (Great show, a mix between a comedy and documentaries of history behind famous dishes).

Topped off with a good bottle of Gerwurzt Traminer by Fetzer. Good, sweet white wine.

ooooo lah lah, lol... :d