PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Disk?

Skyferret
November 24th, 2008, 18:42
I just finnished reformatting and reinstalling my OS for about the humpthteen time.:banghead::banghead::banghead: It would be nice to have a CD to recover start-up and boot files without having to go through this again. Perhaps I should have done this a long time ago. Kaspersky offers a way to do this but after reading the instructions thoroghly, some techno jargin came up during the process that was beyond me so I gave up. I know I could google this for the best website to find one but perhaps one of you would know of one that works best from past expirience.

Here's what been hapening. Norton failed me, Shaw secure failded me, Kaspersky failded me. I'm not one to download Willy-Nilly everything I run across. I am "THEE" most cautious you could imagine. No third party downloads, no taking advice from friends or co-workers about which program to download. If I do download, I scan, scan and scan the heck out of everything before launching program.

In conclusion, I'm not a careless net noobie that doesn't know what he's doing, but, instead of every 3 months of having to do this, I'm up to every 3 weeks now. I don't know if the last one was just a Windows hissy fit, or a bug, but "chkdsk /r" could not recover and it was hopeless. This has been very disheartening to the point where I might say good bye forever to the internet. I don't want to make that decision.

If any of you know of a good website to get one of these "hopefully a silver bullet disk" from, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Sky. (not to be known yet as "the sky is falling")

Johnny
November 24th, 2008, 19:42
~S~ Sky,

Is that the way they spell it in Canada. Or is it Secours. I use free AVG for my virus protection and it backups once a week. In the mean time, see if you can get a trial download of System Mechanic from iolo.

http://www.iolo.com/

"Free Resources", bottom center of page.

j