PDA

View Full Version : Window 7 64 Bit Ultimate

noddy
November 5th, 2010, 04:39
Ok, as I am still getting OOm messages I have taken the plunge and purchased 7 Ultimate 64 Bbit.

What do I need to do?

stansdds
November 6th, 2010, 05:32
I found this, it pertains to FSX and 64 bit Windows 7. You may find answers here.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistagaming/thread/14fc20fa-9dca-465b-be42-146414087ec5

Dangerousdave26
November 6th, 2010, 06:09
How much memory do you have in your system. If at all possible I would suggest maxing it out with the best ram your MB will allow.

As far as the error standds linked to I have never gotten it. Before you start delete anything I would make sure you actually get that error.

//-------------------------------------------

Another thing I found out the other day. Windows 7 Ultimate has the ability to assign permissions to folders. Much the same that Windows 2000 and XP Professional did. What that means is you can install FSX into default path and assign your log on ID as having full access to the files in the FSX folder.

This eliminates any need to dork around with shutting off UAC.

Simply right click on the FSX folder and select properties

Select the security tab

Under the Group or users names box click the edit button

Click add

Type in your log on name

click check names. It should append the computer name in front of your user name if it understood it.

Click OK

In the permission for {user name} click Full Control

Click Apply

It will then to go each file and apply these permissions.

No more need to install the program outside the default "Program Files (86)" folder to avoid UAC.

While FSX really was not designed to be an 64bit program it will benefit from running in a 64bit environment.

//----------------------------------------------

Finding out I could do this lead me to another discovery I did not think was possible.

I had originally installed FSX to C:\Flightsim\FSX (to avoid UAC)

I did not want to uninstall FSX and reinstall it because it was working so well.

So I copied it to C:\Program Files (86)\FSX

I then set the security permissions

I figured the worse that could happen is I have to delete it.

Its been running just fine and so far none of my payware aircraft have been complaining about it.

I now have two working copies of FSX on my PC.

noddy
November 6th, 2010, 07:29
I currently have 4GB of memory but plan to increase this up to the maximum of 8GB soon.

Fingers crossed for the installtion!