PDA

View Full Version : Orbx Releases NA Pacific Fjords !

JayKae
November 4th, 2010, 11:26
Orbx has released Holger Sandmann's FTX Pacific Fjords which joins the gap between FTX Pacific Northwest and Tongass Fjords X. This is a majestic wilderness region with stunning fjordlands, glaciers, mountain peaks and hundreds of quiet inlets and passages. All the airports in the region have been given the FTX upgrade treatment and includes old favourites such as Ketchikan, Bella Coola and Stewart. Featuring the same quality ground textures and hand-crafted landclass as Orbx's Pacific Northwest, the region also has accurate coastlines, rivers, marshes, glaciers and areas of photoreal imagery in certain alpine regions. Orbx has also added in many floatplane bases on ocean and lake shores where they exist in real life. Pacific Fjords now allows you to fly your favourite regional, GA or bush aircraft from south of Portland all the way into Tongass Fjords - a vast area to explore.

More information at http://fullterrain.com/product_napfj.thml (http://fullterrain.com/product_napfj.thml)

skyhawka4m
November 4th, 2010, 11:45
going now! thanks for the heads up~!

skyhawka4m
November 4th, 2010, 11:48
Does ORBX have support banners you can use on forums?

JayKae
November 4th, 2010, 11:55
We sure do skyhawk:

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=8232

whitney17
November 4th, 2010, 12:16
This looks like Misty Fjords Redux. Since I already have Ultimate Alaska (UTX) and GEX North America, why should I buy this? It looks like you're a little late to the show.

Joe

Roger
November 4th, 2010, 12:22
This looks like Misty Fjords Redux. Since I already have Ultimate Alaska (UTX) and GEX North America, why should I buy this? It looks like you're a little late to the show.

Joe

There is no scenery I know of that can better FTX. It's hard for me to fly anywhere else and when funds permit I will be buying this!

Rimshot
November 4th, 2010, 12:41

Joe

You should buy it because it's the best you can get.

Dexdoggy
November 4th, 2010, 13:03
You should buy it because it's the best you can get.

I second that!

Reddog
November 4th, 2010, 13:32
ORBX please check PAKT airport both myself and one other person have issues with it in PFJ.
Aircraft is showing up beneath the airport just the top of the a/c showing and taxiway and runway textures not showing but once in the air the do show.

Holger Sandmann
November 4th, 2010, 13:54
Hi Reddog,

that means that another add-on provides airport files for PAKT at a different elevation.

If you have UTX Alaska go into its setup tool and select Terrain > Modify Status of Repositioned Airports. Pick PAKT from the list and deactivate it.

If you have FSGenesis installed with its airport elevation pack for Alaska then go into \Scenery\World\scenery and rename PAKT_ADE_FSG_ALT.BGL to PAKT_ADE_FSG_ALT.OFF

If you don't have any of the above then do a Windows search for any .bgl files with "PAKT" as part of their names, which should lead you to the other add-on active besides PFJ.

Cheers, Holger

Reddog
November 4th, 2010, 14:45
Thanks Holger that did it and also I just disabled the whole UTX Alaska for now till i can go thru the airport list to see if there are any others.

skyhawka4m
November 4th, 2010, 14:58
Well I downloaded PFJ and its awesome. Its soo cool to be flying out of my old FS9 fav Bella Coola again! Great job folks! Off to explore. Is there a listing of airportts included?

vora
November 4th, 2010, 15:37
... Is there a listing of airportts included?

Go to [your FSX directory]/ORBX/User Documents. There you find a Google Earth file called
FTX PFJ Coverage and Features Map.kmz
If you have Google Earth installed (you should, really!) a doubleclick will get you to the right place.

Holger Sandmann
November 4th, 2010, 16:22
Hi skyhawka4m,

I've also posted the .kmz as a printable list here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=28198.0

Cheers, Holger

ShawnG
November 4th, 2010, 16:58

Joe

Nah this IS the show, the rest were opening acts. By the way I love both UTX Alaska and GEX, but there are many reasons why this is the whole package. GEX's textures are very good, but they are meant to be a package used thorughout NA so aren't as tuned to the setting as ORBX's are. where ORBX really shines is in the landclass, which there is actually none in the two products you mention. all the airports are upgraded as well as lots of photoreal features where needed. it also covers sections of coastal BC canada that aren't covered in the alaska product. As far as I'm concerned you should have it all, UTx alaska for the rest of the state GEX for NA ORBX and Tongass Fjords from FSADDON. of course that's all about 200 bucks, but hey, Ramen Noodles are very inexpensive to eat for the next few months!

Flyboy208
November 4th, 2010, 19:36
Can't wait for a Jaggyroad video of this area! Mike :jump:

whitney17
November 5th, 2010, 14:53
Nah this IS the show, the rest were opening acts. By the way I love both UTX Alaska and GEX, but there are many reasons why this is the whole package. GEX's textures are very good, but they are meant to be a package used thorughout NA so aren't as tuned to the setting as ORBX's are. where ORBX really shines is in the landclass, which there is actually none in the two products you mention. all the airports are upgraded as well as lots of photoreal features where needed. it also covers sections of coastal BC canada that aren't covered in the alaska product. As far as I'm concerned you should have it all, UTx alaska for the rest of the state GEX for NA ORBX and Tongass Fjords from FSADDON. of course that's all about 200 bucks, but hey, Ramen Noodles are very inexpensive to eat for the next few months!

ShawnG,

Just to correct the record, Ultimate Alaska (UTX) has Urban and Vegetation landclasses. ShawnG, you should do some research before you comment on a product.

By the way, I do "have it all" except for Pacific Fjords, which appears redundant based on the ORBX manual I read. It doesn't appear to have the bells and whistles Tongass Fjords has.

However, I'll buy it if someone who has "it all" plus Pacific Fjords can give me an objective comparison and a reason to do so. And I wont have to eat Ramen Noodles in order to buy it.

Mithrin
November 5th, 2010, 15:06
Pure awesomeness! Awesomely awesome!:jump:

Cockpit pic 1 (http://www.mithrin.net/FS/FTX/PFJ01.jpg)

Cockpit pic 2 (http://www.mithrin.net/FS/FTX/PFJ02.jpg)

Cockpit pic 3 (http://www.mithrin.net/FS/FTX/PFJ03.jpg)

Aviator32
November 5th, 2010, 15:11
ShawnG,

Just to correct the record, Ultimate Alaska (UTX) has Urban and Vegetation landclasses. ShawnG, you should do some research before you comment on a product.

By the way, I do "have it all" except for Pacific Fjords, which appears redundant based on the ORBX manual I read. It doesn't appear to have the bells and whistles Tongass Fjords has.

However, I'll buy it if someone who has "it all" plus Pacific Fjords can give me an objective comparison and a reason to do so. And I wont have to eat Ramen Noodles in order to buy it.

If you are happy with what you've already got then please, don't buy it. It doesn't sound like it's for you.

Personally I feel like I have hardly scratched the surface of PNW and I've had it for months and flown there nearly every day but PF is even more my sort of area so it's an absolute must have.

gera
November 5th, 2010, 15:28
Great stuff, no question about it.......but "Too Expensive"!!!!. I would pay say $25.00 Makaroos at the most.., you guys are going to buy your selfs out of the market...its not 1975!!! or even 1990!! you know...the dollar is way down there and the Euro is way up....Mundo Loco!!!!!..good luck....:wavey::wavey:

mal998
November 5th, 2010, 15:37
Considering how much area of the sim is covered by this addon and how much longer I intend to keep flying in FSX (for the forseeable future) and how much I already have invested in my computer it makes reasonable sense to spend a few bucks more to get what is in my mind is superior scenery.

Even more important is the fact that I want to continue to support those companies who are bringing first class products to FSX and thereby extending the life of this sim. Considering what Orbx has done so far, there is still the whole rest of the world to do and I would like to help insure that they'll continue to be around to finish the job.

$40 bucks, it ain't that much.

23022 23023

Roger
November 5th, 2010, 16:37
Mal I'd like to get that Canadian Blenheim repaint...can you point me to a download please?

CG_1976
November 5th, 2010, 17:01
Mal I'd like to get that Canadian Blenheim repaint...can you point me to a download please?

This CAF Vampire would like to 2nd this req please.

mal998
November 5th, 2010, 17:35
Gents,
The paints were done by Henry William and were originally on AVSIM. I did a search and I don't see them anymore.

If you PM me with your email, I'll send them, over to you.

BR's
mal

ShawnG
November 5th, 2010, 18:31
ShawnG,

UTX alaska "has" urban landclass, but only as a "not recommended" option because of all the advances that the developer made with the vectored buildings. so yes, you can have urban landclass, but only if you strip UTX Alaska of its most compelling and best feature. in addition the vegetation landclass to the best of my knowledge only really covers the built up urban areas, so that the vegetation meshes well with the buildings. not what I would consider a "real" landclass product. and again does not match the painstaking work done by ORBX and Holger (who also worked on UTX Alaska and Tongass Fjords) to manually place landclass by hand for the vast majority of the area covered. I purchased UTX Alaska the day it was released, and I consider it one of the best products that I have installed on my hard drive, but if ORBX scenery covered the whole of Alaska, I would uninstall it without a second glance.

It's kind of hard for me to fight about these addons. I have and love them all, but if you fly in southeast alaska I think the Pacific Fjords is the best option. I would even say that out of the box, the vectored buildings of UTX Alaska are better in a place like Ketchikan for example than ORBX's Ketchikan. but UTX doesn't have the upgraded airports and seaplane bases, the AI traffic, the hand placed and excellent landclass, the superior Autogen Trees and textures, and frankly the framerate performance of ORBX.

And of course research is recommended to you as well. If you liked Tongass, you'll like Pacific Fjords. the same guy was in charge of both (and had a hand in UTX Alaska as well)

cheers

skyhawka4m
November 5th, 2010, 18:34
The price of this item is well worth it to me in USD. Please keep oputting this quality out and I'll be in there buying it.

Outstanding quality as always. My low end system runs with this stuff just fine with some slider adjustments and video card adjustments.

ShawnG
November 5th, 2010, 18:42
Sorry Double post.

Roger
November 6th, 2010, 09:23
Should the FTX Central Control panel be set to Default FsX or to North America before installation?

Holger Sandmann
November 6th, 2010, 10:56
Hi Roger,

just keep it set to North America. Setting FTX Central to default is only advised when you install non-ORBX products.

Also please note this post about the scenery library position: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=28160.0

Cheers, Holger

Roger
November 6th, 2010, 11:31
Many thanks Holger.

Cheers,

Roger.

tracyq144
November 6th, 2010, 14:42
Well, based on PNW and Tongass, which I have and love, I will probably buy this. The only problem I have is that my HDD is too full, so I would have to delete a few things, including many, many family photos and movies of my children growing up and of my parent's last few years on this planet.

Still, I can probably keep most of those memories in my mind for the foreseeable future, and they're just pictures anyway, right? It's not like that stuff never happened, or anything. It's fun to look at them sometimes, and remember things, but this new scenery really looks good, too.

One just has to know one's priorities, right?

What's the URL for ordering, again?

:icon_lol:

Roger
November 6th, 2010, 15:10
Mountain textures are great and with Holger's mesh there are none of those texture stretched cliffs.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ftxpf-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ftxpf-1.jpg

JayKae
November 6th, 2010, 18:15
The URL is :

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1463

Sweet shots there of a beautiful mountain range!

FLighT01
November 8th, 2010, 03:55
Spectacular shots Roger, I'm anxiously awaiting the DVD release.