PDA

View Full Version : The Spitfire as a cold war spy

JensOle
November 3rd, 2010, 13:40
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><o:p></o:p>
The use of the reconnaissance Spitfire PR.XIX over Malaya by No 81 Sqn and the last operational RAF Spitfire flight in 1954 are well documented, but a lesser know part of No 81 Sqn history is their detachment of two Spitfires which flew out of Kai Tak, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Hong Kong</st1:place> throughout 1951. They were used for clandestine reconnaissance missions over communist <st1:country-region w:st="on">China</st1:country-region>, operating mainly over Chinese costal areas, sometimes as far as the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">island</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Hainan</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>, at the extreme range of the Mk. XIX. One of the two XIX’s was “PS852” which was flown by F/Lt Edward ‘Ted’ Powles during many daring long range missions earning him the Air Force Cross. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
During a metrological research flight out of Kai Tak in the same period Powles took PS852 to 51,000 ft when he experienced an malfunction in the cockpit pressurization and he needed to make a rather quick decent. He lost control of the Spitfire due to high subsonic Mach number and did not regain use of the flight controls before entering the denser air of lower altitude (having encountered locked controls due to compressibility near Mach 1), and did not managed to level out before close to the sea (sources say between 3000 and 1500ft). These numbers were more or less proved by the metrological flight instrumentation package which gave a top altitude of 51.550ft and a calculated true airspeed of 690 mph on the way down. The speed figure might be some off due to the fact that the instrumentation was not build to measure speeds in the near Mach 1 region, but Powles maximum altitude in Spitfire PR. XIX PS852 is still mighty impressive for a propeller aircraft. <o:p></o:p>
It should be noted that the ordinary reconnaissance altitude for the XIX was between 30.000 and 40.000ft, making it safe from most interceptor fighters of the period.<o:p></o:p>
PS852 initially carried a scheme of Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces over PRU Blue, with a black anti glare panel. D-type roundels on fuselage and top wings, with white serials on lower wing surfaces. During its stay at Kai Tak, the aircraft was later repainted in Aluminum with a red white spinner.<o:p></o:p>
There is no Spitfire XIX for FSX to my knowledge and I have opted for the Realair Spitfire XIV as a stand in. The XIV was also the starting point for the XIX mark, but wings and cockpit were taken from the PR X/XI marks. To get the impression of the left oblique camera port and the two vertical cameras ports I have reworked both the alphachannel and bump mapping textures. The result is from most viewing angles quite satisfactory. <o:p></o:p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot11132.jpg<o:p></o:p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot10952.jpg<o:p></o:p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot10882.jpg<o:p></o:p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot11282.jpg<o:p></o:p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot11012.jpg<o:p></o:p>
</o:p>

delta_lima
November 3rd, 2010, 13:49
I love it. Recce Spitfires ... all over it.

looking forward to it.

dl

rohan
November 3rd, 2010, 20:05
abso-blooming-lutely fantastic ... very interesting combination of colours. Really looking forward to this,
Ro

peter12213
November 4th, 2010, 06:35
Thats one of the nicest looking spitfires I've seen!

italoc
November 4th, 2010, 07:31
Thats one of the nicest looking spitfires I've seen!

It's true :jump:
Me too
Italo

AndyE1976
November 4th, 2010, 07:43
That is astonishingly good. Hopefully we'll be able to download this one soon :)

The RealAir spit needs some more air time!

jankees
November 4th, 2010, 08:37
very nice, well done!!

warchild
November 4th, 2010, 08:42
It's true :jump:
Me too
Italo

I'll third that ... very nice indeed :) )

Warrant
November 4th, 2010, 08:51
As an old recce puke....i like it! :salute:

huub vink
November 4th, 2010, 09:07
Interesting repaint Jens-Ole. Those reccon aircraft always have something special! And thanks for the story behind this repaint.

Cheers,
Huub

Quixoticish
November 4th, 2010, 11:55
Looking forward to downloading this one, I haven't flown the Realair Spitfire in a while so this will be a great way to enjoy it again.

JensOle
November 22nd, 2010, 10:58
With the Norwegian Spitfires released, PS852 is finally getting ready as well. Hopefully I'll have it packed and ready to go later today.

JensOle
April 26th, 2011, 13:47
I have finally uploaded this repaint. Sorry for the delay.

huub vink
April 26th, 2011, 21:29
Thanks Jens-Ole.

Huub

TARPSBird
April 26th, 2011, 23:37
Beautiful paint job. Especially good work on the camera windows, betcha that took a while to get just right. :)

Phantom88
April 27th, 2011, 05:29
I don't have the RealAir Spit.Your Beautiful repaint is making me second guess my decision, :)

delta_lima
May 2nd, 2011, 19:51
Hello Jens!

Love the repaint. I have one silly little problem: even though I copied the contents of your edits to the aircraft.cfg, the cockpit that comes up is the civilian model. Compared to the other repaints I have, which have the same "panel=" reference, they point to a military (gunsight) panel. Your repaint's texture.cfg is the same as other repaints ... so I'm confused.

I've been editing aircraft cfg's for almost decade now ... I just can't figure out why this is stumping me :kilroy:.

It's now my top repaint for this bird - simply superb!!!

thanks,

JensOle
May 2nd, 2011, 21:47
Hi,

Thank you!

That is correct, the civilian model (it is codes to this from the [fltsim.] section) without gun barrels is the model looking the closest to the PR.XIX. The little trade off with some modern gauges are in my opinion usable as the PR had another cockpit from the fighter anyway.

delta_lima
May 3rd, 2011, 07:50
Hi,

Thank you!

That is correct, the civilian model (it is codes to this from the [fltsim.] section) without gun barrels is the model looking the closest to the PR.XIX. The little trade off with some modern gauges are in my opinion usable as the PR had another cockpit from the fighter anyway.

Thanks Jens,

That's a bummer, because the modern radio is quite annoying for "period" flying. But I understand and respect the rationale. All said, I still enjoy it - many thanks!

dl

JensOle
May 8th, 2011, 14:54
Well, if you don't want the "modern" cockpit, you can just change to the XIV wartime model with 20 mm cannons in the aircraft.cfg file. The real PR XIX cockpit was nevertheless drastically different from the fighter spits cockpit.

Willy
May 8th, 2011, 17:28
A couple of other differences between a Mk XIV and a Mk XIX is the different windscreen, lots more fuel capacity and most of the XIX aircraft had a Griffon 66 with a pressurized cockpit.

Aeroplane Heaven did a XIX for FS9 and it's my favorite Spitfire.