PDA

View Full Version : Who is still using FSDS?

Brian_Gladden
November 3rd, 2010, 04:36
I'm asking because I need a little help. I've been toying with getting back into aircraft design but I need some guidance or perhaps a design partner.

I could never get FSDS 3.5's boolean cut feature to work all that well. if someone has "Mastered" that, could I perhaps send you some parts to have cut? I can do the rest of the model but the cuts always seem to come out wrong and when I try to fix it, it comes out worse.

I spent two hours this morning working on getting rid of all the screwed up polys and basically ruined my Aztec :-(

I also might need someone who can convert my source files into Native FSX models as well.

Thanks,

Brian

FSDSMAN
November 3rd, 2010, 09:43
I will try and assist when I have time but I NEVER use the bool tool. I find it simpler and quicker to do it by eye. Much faster in the long run and no mess to clean up.

hairyspin
November 3rd, 2010, 11:58
I don't use FSDS, but I know there are many users who haunt FFDS - Free Flight Design Shop - forums.

http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi (http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi)

Sid2008
November 5th, 2010, 05:21
I am an avid FSDS 3.5 user.

I use the boolean tool all the time. It works most of the time. you need tp go to Adam howe's blog and read the article on using boolean tool. Adam has also written an e-book on it available from Abacuspub.com for $15 that gives many ideas and error fixing ability.

Here is the gist of using the boolean correctly:
1) make many copies of your work just in case something bad happens
2) make sure that the tool is convex and not concave
3) make sure that the tool completely goes thru the surface you are cutting, i.e. no piece is just hanging out
4) select a few polygons on the surface you are cutting that circumscribes the cutting area, split part into a new part and cut the new part only

If you need more help, just ask and i will do my best.

I have done various FSX-ready FSDS aircraft, but I am waiting for someone kind to teacjh me how to put lights in a cockpit panel before I realease my aircraft as freeware.

Sid

Brian_Gladden
November 6th, 2010, 05:38
4) select a few polygons on the surface you are cutting that circumscribes the cutting area, split part into a new part and cut the new part only

I thought that might help....