PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

No Dice
November 2nd, 2010, 18:11
I have tried posting twice but it does not show up, Just want to know if it's worth bringing back the FREE FLIGHT SITE, all most all of ya'll will not even remember it. If this finally makes it to the forum, I will get into more detail

No Dice
November 2nd, 2010, 18:25
Hello All,
Many years ago I ran The Free Flight Site, the other day while preparing a computer for donation, I ran across my old files for CFS1 and 2 and it purked my interest again. I still have most of my Panels, a few of my Planes and from what I can tell all of my Corsica and Italy 1941 for both CFS1 and 2, along with a few never released missions and a lot more. A lot more that would not take to long to spruce up a release. I come from the Martin, Willie, Ickie, Canelo, Brufford, RAF Diablo days so most if not all will not remember the Dave aka No Nice. I have all the utilities and a few newer that make CFS1 even better than 2 in my opinion.

Anyone think they would like to see the FREE FLIGHT SITE back on the net?

Please let me know

Dave dea14u@aol.com

Ivan
November 3rd, 2010, 04:18
A good CFS Site is always welcome!

- Ivan.

hubbabubba
November 3rd, 2010, 14:35
Hi No Dice :wavey:

Go for it!:jump::jump::jump:

No Dice
November 3rd, 2010, 15:24
What the hell, this may be fun. Ya'll might even like some of my work. Give me a week to get it up and I guess we'll see ! Thanks for your replies.

Dave aka No Dice

minuteman10
November 4th, 2010, 19:22
~S~ Dave...By all means...and check out some of the recent add-ons! I look forward to your site.....MM:wavey:

No Dice
November 5th, 2010, 05:19
I reregistered the IP yesterday and should be able to start running the site up this weekend.Still waiting for ATT to confirm the domain. Should be able to find it at THeFreeFilghtSite.com early next week.It will take a week ot two to get it back fully loaded, I have a ton of stuff to sort thru. If by chance any one is looking for something that may have disappeared from the net, just let me know I may still have it.

Dave

hubbabubba
November 5th, 2010, 10:27
I reregistered the IP yesterday and should be able to start running the site up this weekend.Still waiting for ATT to confirm the domain. Should be able to find it at THeFreeFilghtSite.com early next week.It will take a week ot two to get it back fully loaded, I have a ton of stuff to sort thru. If by chance any one is looking for something that may have disappeared from the net, just let me know I may still have it.

Dave

If you don't mind, No Dice, we will let you fill the shelves, pick what we need, then ask for more!:jump:

But if you have a CFS1 1% aircraft in the lot, this should be an interesting bird to look in.:kilroy:

Anyway, thanks for that Christmas gift!:santahat:

No Dice
November 5th, 2010, 12:37
No 1% sorry, but maybe something long lost or new to the old crowd, Running up parts of the site right now, just to get a representation. I had forgotten how much work it is to get everything sorted out.

Dave

Dave Cumming
November 8th, 2010, 09:35
I've got 1% airfiles. I downloaded them years ago to use but have not looked at them yet. I think I have them all. Which ones do you want to look at or should I upload them all?

(I'm still disgusted that I have lost the article about 1% DP files!)

smilo
November 8th, 2010, 13:29
years ago, when PJ Dunbar gave me
his Updated Stock Aircraft Textures,
the file included 1% files for Stock Aircraft.
I can't remember if DP files are included.

unfortunately, each is a self installer.
Hubba, I know how much you love self installers.

No Dice, these repaints are very nice
and I am sure that PJ would not mind
if you made them available on your site.
just give him credit where credit is due.

I especially like the FW 190 skin.

No Dice
November 8th, 2010, 14:02
I just downloaded the file and will have alook.

Dave C. I may have that 1% article, I am looking fot it.

So much to go threw and sort out.

Dave

hubbabubba
November 8th, 2010, 14:07
As we say in French; À cheval donné, on ne regarde pas la bride.
(very loosely translated; You don't look at the harness when someone gives you a horse)
Pol was a master when it comes to paint jobs. I had the skins, but not the 1% aircraft.
Thanks smilo:ernae:.

No Dice; I think I like you too...:kilroy:... I hope it won't start the rumors' mill...

No Dice
November 8th, 2010, 14:29
Looks like I am going to get my missing scenery file
Your going to get your 1% and I hope to find the 1% article for Dave C.

down here in cajon country we say "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Dave

www.thefreeflightsite.com (http://www.thefreeflightsite.com)

No Dice
November 8th, 2010, 17:07
years ago, when PJ Dunbar gave me
his Updated Stock Aircraft Textures,
the file included 1% files for Stock Aircraft.
I can't remember if DP files are included.

No Dice, these repaints are very nice
and I am sure that PJ would not mind
if you made them available on your site.
just give him credit where credit is due.

I especially like the FW 190 skin.

Smilo, Can't seem to get the file to open?

hubbabubba
November 8th, 2010, 20:46
Smilo, Can't seem to get the file to open?
Same here smilo, and all this time I thought it was my crummy PC:isadizzy:!
I'm looking for the 1% aircraft mainly for the DP files, but the AIR files are not without interest.
Dave Cumming; I thereby declare you to be Dave. No Dice; you will be No Dice.
All this to preserve my sanity... and yours.:173go1:

Yes Dave, the document you gave us with all these "as you can see on figure XYZ" is a bit frustrating. I'm all for saving space, but...:kilroy:

As for "self-install" progs, I've stated my case long ago but, to resume, its basically a question of having control. I once installed an aircraft that; 1- Created a spoofy CFS1 installation (mine does not follow the usual C:/program file/... you know the rest); 2- Added a shortcut to my desk (having hundred of a/c installed, imagine the desk!); 3- Added an entry in the program list (Word, OK, FS99, OK, Joe's Spit, NOT OK); 4- Wiped some of my gauges, replacing them with older ones (here went some of my glowing gauges). All that without offering alternatives or asking for permission.

At least, I didn't had to fight a trojan, worm, virus or other "delicacies", sometime embedded in the "self-installer maker" without its good faith user knowing it when he packed his files.

Well... enough ranting.

No Dice
November 9th, 2010, 11:15
Hubba,
Found a folder on my zip drive ( do people still use those? ) have the 1% for the stock CFS1 aircraft, do you need those?

I can email them

NoDice

smilo
November 9th, 2010, 14:29
that was weird, sorry.
I have no idea why or how the file got corrupted.
it was fine before I uploaded it.
so it goes.

Ivan
November 9th, 2010, 15:08
If there is no objection, upload them here. If there IS an objection, email them to ME!!!

:jump:

Ivan1GFP@yahoo.com

No Dice
November 9th, 2010, 15:59
Ivan, still learning the rules and how to get around this place, it has changed a lot over the years. I emailed them to you.

One thing I have learned, they really want to protect your identity around here, so don't be suprized if they edit your post. Thats a good thing!

Any one else need'm

Dave

Ivan
November 9th, 2010, 17:03
Hi No Dice,
Got the email. I won't have a chance to check them out tonight though. My email isn't very private. It is included with just about every CFS plane I have ever built along with my name.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

No Dice
November 9th, 2010, 17:35
Dude, Your work with FS is outstanding, somewhere on all the files I am going thru I know I have at least most of your early work. I have been fortunate in life and met some really great people, but I think I would rather frame your email than shake the hand of the president.

Hell. I got excited the other day downloading one of your planes and found someone had added one of my panels to it.

Your up there with the best

Dave

hubbabubba
November 10th, 2010, 03:12
Hubba,
Found a folder on my zip drive ( do people still use those? ) have the 1% for the stock CFS1 aircraft, do you need those?

I can email them

NoDice

If it is over 1 Mb, please, don't! I'm on a 56Kbps dial-up line and your email will clog my PC for days! If you can send me packages of reasonable size, do it!

Yvan can relay them to me in small doses as well.

Thanks!

Ivan
November 10th, 2010, 12:56
Hi No Dice,

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like my work! I have since updated a lot of stuff even though I haven't uploaded anything recently. Been playing with AIR files recently just to see if I can create a specific effect.

I have gotten quite a few projects to the "almost ready" stage but just not quite the way I want them yet.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

No Dice
November 10th, 2010, 15:41
If it is over 1 Mb, please, don't! I'm on a 56Kbps dial-up line and your email will clog my PC for days! If you can send me packages of reasonable size, do it!

Yvan can relay them to me in small doses as well.

Thanks!
Hubbu,
Just for you, single downloads now on my site

Dave

Robert John
November 12th, 2010, 06:35
Just started to play cfs1 with my son he is 1.
He thinks cfs is better than cfs2. I think cfs has its own merits.
Robert John

hubbabubba
November 12th, 2010, 14:41
Just started to play cfs1 with my son he is 1.
He thinks cfs is better than cfs2. I think cfs has its own merits.
Robert John

Your son has taste!:applause: Aux âmes bien nées, la valeur n'attend point le nombre des années.(Corneille)

Thanks No Dice, got them all. I'm curious though; why no Spit Mk1 and why two Bf 109G?:ques:

No Dice
November 12th, 2010, 15:46
I have been sorting out what I had left and could retrieve off of my old zip files ect., most of what I had collected was lost in 2005 when Katrina paid me a very unwelcomed visit. Took me a few years to rebuild the house and business, thats why I have been gone so long. I have about 20 more files to sort ( wish I would have named them so I could remember what they are 8 years later) after that ,I start all over again.

Tried downloading your BF108B-1 in the archives, is it my computer or will it just not download.

Still looking for my Corsica and Italy 1941 Scenery and my Typhoon last parked out of Canelos cantina in 2001, only released to 3 people and then stolen off the parking lot, probably by someone in the RAF662.

DAve

smilo
November 12th, 2010, 16:00
if you left your Typhoon
in the Cantina parking lot,
then it was most likely snatched
by that Merc Air bunch.
some of them are still around flying FS9.

No Dice
November 12th, 2010, 16:52
The Merc Bunch, my memory fails me, but aren't those the guys that fly piper cubs around disneyland? What would they need a Typhoon for?

Dave

smilo
November 12th, 2010, 17:03
..."piper cubs around Disneyland?"
I'll pass that along to Willy,
I'm sure he'll get a chuckle.

hubbabubba
November 12th, 2010, 22:03
I have been sorting out what I had left and could retrieve off of my old zip files ect., most of what I had collected was lost in 2005 when Katrina paid me a very unwelcomed visit. Took me a few years to rebuild the house and business, thats why I have been gone so long. I have about 20 more files to sort ( wish I would have named them so I could remember what they are 8 years later) after that ,I start all over again.

Tried downloading your BF108B-1 in the archives, is it my computer or will it just not download.

Still looking for my Corsica and Italy 1941 Scenery and my Typhoon last parked out of Canelos cantina in 2001, only released to 3 people and then stolen off the parking lot, probably by someone in the RAF662.

DAve

Its okay No Dice, I was just curious to know.

The Taifun is there and can be downloaded with Firefox 2.0.0.20 or Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.

With Explorer 6, hold the Ctrl Key while left-clicking the download link and keep holding Ctrl down until the download window pops-up. It works for me.

Ivan
November 13th, 2010, 06:40
Hey Hubbabubba,
How many versions of that BF 108 are there? I remember you discussing one with a constant speed prop at one point. Did that one ever get built? Did any of them ever have a 3 blade prop?

- Ivan.

Ivan
November 13th, 2010, 06:42
Hi No Dice,
What flavour of Typhoon did you build? From the discussion, it was never publicly available?

- Ivan.

No Dice
November 13th, 2010, 11:20
Hi No Dice,
What flavour of Typhoon did you build? From the discussion, it was never publicly available?

- Ivan.
This is all I have to remember her by!

hubbabubba
November 14th, 2010, 05:52
Hey Hubbabubba,
How many versions of that BF 108 are there? I remember you discussing one with a constant speed prop at one point. Did that one ever get built? Did any of them ever have a 3 blade prop?

- Ivan.

It depends on what you call a "version". The prototype (D-IBUM) had "interceptors" on the wing extrados and no ailerons. It was called tentatively M-37 but was renamed Bf 108.

After a fatal crash of D-IBUM during low altitude testings of the interceptors, the five remaining Bf 108 (retroactively called Bf 108A) were build with a small aileron in addition to the interceptors.

The Bf 108A all had a VDM three blades propellers with manual adjustable pitch. They were motorized with Hirth HM 8U and Argus As 17 engines.

The next "version" was a transition suite of aircraft build, or simply modified, from the originals A to B, known as Bf 108B-0. No two were exactly the same. First, the wings were changed, then the cockpits, then the tails, then the propellers and, finally, the engines. So some Bf 108B-0 still had three-bladed props.

The Bf-108B-1, the main version, had normally a fixed wooden Schwartz or metallic Heine, but for extra money, Messerschmitt was offering its own manually controlled variable two blades Me P7 propeller.

The Bf 108B-2 was the military version and was supposed to have the Me P7 system installed "standard". The lineage is much more murkier than that; low priority and displacement of production to France forced the Luftwaffe to "draft" civilian Bf 108B-1 into military service and to "cannibalize" old aircraft to build new ones.

The Bf-108D differed from the B type by having the Argus automatic variable two blades pitch propeller, noticeable by its "orange juice maker" propeller hub. This was the only constant speed prop of the Taifun varieties.

Ivan
November 14th, 2010, 06:05
Hi Hubbabubba,

I am guessing you are discussing spoilers instead of ailerons, but really don't know what "interceptors" and "extrados" mean.

I was asking not so much about the real BF 108, but rather about which versions you had built.

- Ivan.

hubbabubba
November 14th, 2010, 06:45
:wavey:Hello Ivan,

I only build the Bf 108B-1 version but my intention is to build them all, including the remake of the B-1, with my new SCASMing method.

"Interceptors" are spoilers acting as ailerons, not air-brakes, popping out of the upper surface of the wing (called extrados). Very few a/c have them but, in the early-mid 30's, they were thought to be superior to ailerons at low and medium speeds. Some specialized a/c still have them.

An " interceptor " consists of a narrow plate which may be raised to a
position approximately normal to the upper surface of a wing. It is placed
close behind an open slot, and nullifies the effect of the slot, producing an
increase in drag and reduction in lift. The interceptor Is arranged to come
up when the aileron on that wing is raised. In the course of their experiments
Messrs. Handle?- Page found that the most effective position o( the
interceptor was very close behind the trailing edge of the slat; this necessitates
the interceptor being housed in a recess, which is covered by the slat when the
latter is lying against the wing as in normal flight. in http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1931/1931%20-%200198.html

In the original D-IBUM, the interceptors were the sole roll axis controls. It was believed that, at near stall speed, they would keep the a/c highly maneuverable. It also permitted the installation of a Fowler type flap covering the entirety of the trailing edge.

Ivan
November 14th, 2010, 10:14
I believe the B-52 has them as well. There is a You-Tube video of a B-52 crashing at an air show. The pilot tried to use the spoilers for roll control and because the plane was in a vertical bank, they did not have any effect. The regular ailerons were apparently not powerful enough to correct the bank either at that point.

It appears to me to be pretty much worthless for an aerobatic aircraft.

- Ivan.