PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun 2 on the way

XLR8
October 31st, 2010, 16:25
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tony-Scott-Says-Top-Gun-2-Won-t-Be-A-Remake-Or-A-Reinvention-21386.html

http://screencrave.com/2010-10-27/top-gun-2-will-focus-on-maverick-says-christopher-mcquarrie/

Roadburner440
October 31st, 2010, 16:49
For me it will not be Top Gun without the F-14. To me that is what made the movie. Seeing as they are focusing on the USAF you would think they would have chose the F-15 or something. Drones just do not sound exciting to me. I could be wrong, but that is just my thoughts on it. Some movies I think are just better left without sequels, but try telling that to directors these days.

CADFather
October 31st, 2010, 17:27
Some things should be left to admire, instead of bringing them back around. The F-14's were the stars of the original and how can you improve on that?

CAD

Willy
October 31st, 2010, 17:36
Why is Top Gun 2 no surprise when they are remaking True Grit with Jeff Bridges in the Rooster Cogburn role?

Odie
October 31st, 2010, 17:48
Yep....with the original TOPGUN, I was really disappointed that the F-14 didn't get Best Actor for that year...

Quick edit: For a good read, pick up TOPGUN DAYS by Dave Baranek, who flew some of the film missions. It charts his career up through the TOPGUN filming. Good stuff!

OleBoy
October 31st, 2010, 17:54
It's all about the bank roll they foresee in the future.

[rant on]Top Gun 2. That's a joke. An insult to the actors, pilots and stuntmen/women involved.
...There's a lot of history behind that movie and I don't mean in the air force, naval or whatever government role was portrayed.

I won't be wasting my money to go see it in the the theaters. Nor will I be watching it at home.
...Unless they make credible mention related to their journeys to get where they are here, I see this movie as pure insult..[/rant off]

Odie
October 31st, 2010, 17:55
Why is Top Gun 2 no surprise when they are remaking True Grit with Jeff Bridges in the Rooster Cogburn role?

Some things you just don't tinker with......

Wing_Z
October 31st, 2010, 18:07
Agreed, no F-14, I wouldn't pay money to see TG2 - I'd go get the DVD of Hot Shots again... it has a better story line than the original TG!

Meshman
October 31st, 2010, 21:27
All I know is that Tom Cruise won't be chasing Kelly McGillis any more...:bump:

Naismith
October 31st, 2010, 22:27
Who cares about the realism/story/characters yada yada yada, what matters is, it is about aircraft, and if that inspires some kids to take an interest in the subject, then job done. Even better it may drag some into our simming world, and we need new blood in an ever contracting PC market.

Piglet
November 1st, 2010, 00:33
Forget TG2!
Red Dawn2 is here... Chi-Com takeover of USA.

Quixoticish
November 1st, 2010, 01:17
I wonder if Top Gun 2 will be as homoerotic and camp as the first film?

kilo delta
November 1st, 2010, 02:35
Surely if it's focussing on the Air Force it should be an Iron Eagle remake....or perhaps call it Red Flag. Top Gun was/is the NAVAL fighter weapons school.
Storyline won't interest me if it features UAV/UCAV's....the real stars of the original Top Gun were the aircraft...Tomcats,Skyhawks and the "MiG-28"/F-5 Tiger II.

Bushpounder
November 1st, 2010, 03:29
I read the comments on the one link. If some of those are combined, TG2 COULD be a good movie. I agree with Cruise coming back, seeing the training in disarray, and volunteering to improve it. The main pilot should be Goose's son, who would now be of age to fly the F-18E, the new star of the movie.

Don

Toastmaker
November 1st, 2010, 04:02
I read the comments on the one link. If some of those are combined, TG2 COULD be a good movie. I agree with Cruise coming back, seeing the training in disarray, and volunteering to improve it. The main pilot should be Goose's son, who would now be of age to fly the F-18E, the new star of the movie.

Don

Now that sounds like a good movie script - but it must be naval aviation if they keep the name "Top Gun".

Aviator32
November 1st, 2010, 04:53

Agreed! I always wondered just what sort of people turned up on the Air Force recruiter's doorstep the day after they saw that film.
Instead of Don't ask don't tell, it should be Don't ask, I saw Top Gun :salute:

Odie
November 1st, 2010, 05:16
Tony Scott says it won't be a sequel, but a reinventing.....

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/10/29/top-gun-2-not-a-sequel-re-thinking-tony-scott/

I'll give it some leeway since he will be involved. I know I poo-poo'ed the Michael Keaton BATMAN film before it was released and it was pretty entertaining (back in the day!!!).

Wait....I feel funny...I feel...the need for speed!!! <Sorry...my 1986 self took over>

Quixoticish
November 1st, 2010, 05:40
Agreed! I always wondered just what sort of people turned up on the Air Force recruiter's doorstep the day after they saw that film.
Instead of Don't ask don't tell, it should be Don't ask, I saw Top Gun :salute:

Don't get me wrong, I've certainly no problem with the way Top Gun turned out. It just tickles me when people hold it up as a shining paradigm of machismo when it's as camp as a row of pink tents.

I'm with Quentin Tarantino on this one. ;)

Warning, colourful language:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyN8VN4BSzM

pilottj
November 1st, 2010, 08:29
would this be akin to Blues Brothers 2000 to the original? While the music in 2000 was awesome the story line wasnt that great, no where near the original. Seems that the subject matter of TG2...the airplanes will be great but will have to ignore the plot :jump:

XLR8
November 1st, 2010, 10:30
If you really think about it . The movie could be just great . There are new planes (F-18,F16,F22). New tactics and new bad guys . Plus that fake cockpit with Maverick will look more realistic . But as some have posted,this could be a blessing for the military aircraft world . Before topgun there were relatively little in the modern jet age movies or even in games .

Bjoern
November 1st, 2010, 11:54
If they drop the illogicality, why not?

Seriously, the flying scenes in part one made awfully little sense when watched in one piece, but in between the single cuts, they were aaaawesome!

Hoping for a few shots of modern DACT as well, even 'though nothing is really able to replace those sexy A-4s.

djscoo
November 1st, 2010, 12:04
ekXxi9IKZSA

Rattler
November 1st, 2010, 12:25
OK, there are a few things that I can see that will be a Problem for a Movie that Claims to Carry on the Top Gun Name, 1 No more F-14s,When the First Had all those Kool VC Scenes,I could deal with the Super Hornet... Maybe!! Check Tesco Offers (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?tesco/) and Lidl Offers (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?lidl/). that is the first Nail in the Coffin, 2nd Nail, unmanned Aircraft,Who the Hell is going to do the Flyby on the Tower? , and Third A Small Role for Tom Cruise, No Ice Man, Or any of the Others That Helped Make that movie, Strike 3 Your Out!!!!!...\\

Not Sure How This movie can ever get off the Ground But I will Wait and See.

JMHO!!!

Bone
November 1st, 2010, 12:25
Top Gun 2, with Predators??! That's absolutely ridiculous. What next, Top Gun 3 and RJ's?

Rattler
November 1st, 2010, 12:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Ws5zC6-8M&feature=related

How can you do Better than this?

I ask you!!

Odie
November 1st, 2010, 14:08
OK, there are a few things that I can see that will be a Problem for a Movie that Claims to Carry on the Top Gun Name, 1 No more F-14s,When the First Had all those Kool VC Scenes,I could deal with the Super Hornet... Maybe!! that is the first Nail in the Coffin, 2nd Nail, unmanned Aircraft,Who the Hell is going to do the Flyby on the Tower? , and Third A Small Role for Tom Cruise, No Ice Man, Or any of the Others That Helped Make that movie, Strike 3 Your Out!!!!!...\\

Not Sure How This movie can ever get off the Ground But I will Wait and See.

JMHO!!!

Don't sell Tony Scott and crew short....remember, the original TOPGUN script sprang out of a magazine article. And I sat through the original multiple, multiple times, in the theater, wore out a VHS tape, and have all the versions on DVD....don't ask...it's a TOMCAT thing.....:icon_lol:

I'll give 'em some room to plot this one out before closing the door on it....could be interesting to see what they come up with.

Roadburner440
November 1st, 2010, 14:20
I agree that the original Top Gun was an excellent recruiting tool. Heck that is how I wound up in the Navy. I wore out the VHS movie, cassette tape soundtrack, and all of that. I just do not see the same passion toward UAV aircraft. I mean I guess it can appeal to the current gamer generation to sit in a trailer in Nevada while flying a Predator in Iraq. For me if it wasn't for my vision I would be in a g-suit strapped to my rocket chair (if I made it through flight school even that is) feeling the exhileration of flight. I guess that is the wave of the future though with the F-35 possibly being the last manned fighter jet.

centuryseries
November 1st, 2010, 15:29
It ain't Topgun without Tomcats.

Drones are dull in comparison, and I would suggest that a lot of CG will be used in the making of this sequel, which ruins it for me. The greatness of the original was in real aerial footage, and real planes and plenty of G's.

Goose do you see a trailer? Yeah it's full of drone pilots.

Anytime baby.

Dangerousdave26
November 1st, 2010, 15:32
Forget TG2!
Red Dawn2 is here... Chi-Com takeover of USA.

LOL

There was a reference to Red Dawn in the movie Hot Tube Time Machine.

Man that made me laugh.

Navy Chief
November 1st, 2010, 17:18
Now that sounds like a good movie script - but it must be naval aviation if they keep the name "Top Gun".

I agree. I don't understand why even call it "Top Gun 2" if USN aviation is not the focus of the movie.

Maybe the USAF was jealous of the recruiting power of the original movie, and demanded they be given equal attention!

NC

Bjoern
November 1st, 2010, 17:29
By the way:
Whoever delivers the first realistic, not overly dramatic aviation movie with fighter jets gets a beer from me.

What next, Top Gun 3 and RJ's?

I can totally see potential for drama in that one. On time with as little fuel as possible and clocking out when your "time on duty" counter reaches 8:00:00 h; the race for seniority and the "FL 410 club"...

Ian Warren
November 1st, 2010, 17:35
Maybe 'TOPGUN' RETRO ... we,ll go back and use F4s - starring Clint Eastwood as 'Duke Mitchell' and his RIO Paul Hogan as 'Alligator':salute:.......:173go1:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Piglet
November 1st, 2010, 17:48
How about this version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKuoNhihh4

jmig
November 2nd, 2010, 03:34
I agree. I don't understand why even call it "Top Gun 2" if USN aviation is not the focus of the movie.

Maybe the USAF was jealous of the recruiting power of the original movie, and demanded they be given equal attention!

NC

USAF doesn't call their Top Gun school Top Gun. It's (or use to be) called Fighter Weapons School and was out of Nellis AFB.

Bone
November 2nd, 2010, 06:09
By the way:
Whoever delivers the first realistic, not overly dramatic aviation movie with fighter jets gets a beer from me.

I can totally see potential for drama in that one. On time with as little fuel as possible and clocking out when your "time on duty" counter reaches 8:00:00 h; the race for seniority and the "FL 410 club"...

1. It would be nice if a movie got it right for once.

2. Well, there is a good bit of drama in airline aviation, but if movie makers can't get the flying right, then they're not going to get the drama right either.

3. 8 hours of duty? Most of my duty days range from a scheduled 10 to 14 hours, and there have been many times when I've had duty days extended to between 14+ and 16 hours because of EXTREMELY bad weather. But there are some easy days thrown into the mix, here and there.

kilo delta
November 2nd, 2010, 09:21
1. It would be nice if a movie got it right for once.

2. Well, there is a good bit of drama in airline aviation, but if movie makers can't get the flying right, then they're not going to get the drama right either.

3. 8 hours of duty? Most of my duty days range from a scheduled 10 to 14 hours, and there have been many times when I've had duty days extended to between 14+ and 16 hours because of EXTREMELY bad weather. But there are some easy days thrown into the mix, here and there.

In fairness to the Movie moguls...they've portrayed airline aviation quite apt in the Airplane (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/) series!!!!! :d

j/k

robcap
November 2nd, 2010, 09:40
How about this version?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKuoNhihh4hilarious, who takes the time to make something like that.

Bjoern
November 2nd, 2010, 11:50
Maybe 'TOPGUN' RETRO ... we,ll go back and use F4s - starring Clint Eastwood as 'Duke Mitchell' and his RIO Paul Hogan as 'Alligator':salute:.......:173go1:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Not Clint and Paul, but I'd support a retro version anytime! F-4s are so much more attractive than the overrated Tomcat. :d

How about this version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKuoNhihh4

Hahahaha!

But those Fishbed-Fs gave me a serious hardon. :d

Too true.

I couldn't remember the maximum flying time per day, or wasn't sure if it was 8 or 10 hours.