PDA

View Full Version : An Afghan Halloween

Trans_23
October 31st, 2010, 08:04
My daughter sent a few photos of her and some comrades in their costumes. She is the one in the green/yellow thingy. Not sure where she got the costume. It was not what she said she was going to get. Last I heard she was not sure if the base CO was going to let them wear costumes around the base so this might have been the only time they wore them.

Panther_99FS
October 31st, 2010, 08:07
Great stuff! :jump:
We didn't do any Halloween stuff when I was deployed but we did do some Christmas stuff

Bushpounder
October 31st, 2010, 10:42
I hope she has a great time! When my daughter was in the Navy, they held Halloween on her ship. Thank your daughter for her service. :)

Don

Roadburner440
October 31st, 2010, 11:06
At least they are able to enjoy themselves while they are forward deployed. I have never been deployed during the holidays. Somehow my schedule always seems to line up where I deploy in the spring, summer, fall months. Then I am around for the holiday seasons. Quite a few times I wasn't supposed to be, but things always change. I have heard from other people though that they do hold Halloween, and X-mas stuff on the ships. Don't see why not. Get crafty when you are gone for so long.

Trans_23
October 31st, 2010, 15:32
At least they are able to enjoy themselves while they are forward deployed. I have never been deployed during the holidays. Somehow my schedule always seems to line up where I deploy in the spring, summer, fall months. Then I am around for the holiday seasons. Quite a few times I wasn't supposed to be, but things always change. I have heard from other people though that they do hold Halloween, and X-mas stuff on the ships. Don't see why not. Get crafty when you are gone for so long.

Although I don't wish anyone a trip to Afghanistan, my daughter has had it pretty good on her two middle east deployments. The first in Iraq last year, she worked out of one of Sadam's old palaces in the green zone. Relatively safe. Afghanistan is a 6 month deployment and she drew and assignment at Basra AB. Again, relatively safe. Her biggest gripe is her sleeping quarters are right along the flight line so the sounds of fighters taking off and landing is an hourly occurrence. I told her she was lucky. She works the graveyard shift so she doesn't agree. She also mentioned the last time I talked with her on Skype that an F-16 went off the end of the runway and into a mine field. The pilot yelling at everyone running toward the plane to stay away. Nothing went kaboom .
Another gripe is the stench and smoke. Seems they burn all the garbage without concern as to which way the wind is blowing.

Tom Clayton
October 31st, 2010, 16:53
Is the guy with the mowhawk in the Army??? When I was in the Air Force, if you showed up for duty with that, the first thing they'd do is haul your hiney to the base barber to shave off the rest. Then they'd give you a reprimand for shaving your head!:isadizzy:

Willy
October 31st, 2010, 17:40
That mohawk wouldn't have went when I was in the Navy either.

beana51
October 31st, 2010, 17:48
Nice to see kids being kids!!...Often we forget the other costumes they wear are far more scary!!''
God Bless them all.1% of the population doing 99% of the job....all volunters!...Brave Boys and Girls!!.......Lets all hope the sacrifice and price being paid is justified.!.......TRICK OR TREAT can be deadly there!!

Trans_23
October 31st, 2010, 20:37
Is the guy with the mowhawk in the Army??? When I was in the Air Force, if you showed up for duty with that, the first thing they'd do is haul your hiney to the base barber to shave off the rest. Then they'd give you a reprimand for shaving your head!:isadizzy:
My daughter said he just cut it that way for Halloween. I suspect he will be cutting the rest down before he reports back in for duty.