PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to NAS Jacksonville?

Helldiver
October 30th, 2010, 17:21
I put in for NAS Jax in FSX and all I get is Craig Field and Cecil Field. Cecil Field was an auxialry to NAS Jax. What happened to NAATC and Mainside? The A&R hanger?
Did the do away with it and put in a Wal-Mart? Somebody from Jacksonville tell me.

Roadburner440
October 30th, 2010, 17:27
NATTC was at NAS Jacksonville? We now have what is known as CNATTU, and that is over by hangar 1000 (the pentagon shapped hanger that houses the VR squadrons on one side, and P-3's on the other). The only thing near there is the Target Shopping center that is down from the commercial gate entrance past the Yorktown Gate. Not sure what you mean by the A&R hangar either.. FRC SE (formerly known as NADEP Jax) has a huge set of hangar fascilities that look to date back to the 40's & 50's to me right in the center of the base. Not sure when the last time you saw it was, but they tore down the old amphibious aircraft hangar's and built a brand new hangar for the HSL/HSM squadrons. Now they are in the process of tearing down, and building new hangar's for the P-3/P-8 squadrons.

Helldiver
October 30th, 2010, 19:39
I'm talking 65 years ago. NAATC ( Naval Aviation Advanced Training Center) was the first thing you saw when you came in. Then you drove about a mile and you came to Mainside. I don't know about a pentagon shaped hanger. There were two major hangers. The A&R hanger where we had one line of F4-Us, one line of F6-Fs and one line of SB2Cs. It was the biggest hanger of all.
I still don't know why when I put in NAS Jacksonville in FSX, I get these other places.

Javis
October 30th, 2010, 20:40
Put 'KNIP' in the Airport ID search window, Bob, that's Jacksonville NAS. Maybe that's what you're looking for ? KJAX is Jacksonville International..

There's a file at flightsim.com called 'jcksnvl.zip' that updates the default KNIP scenery. ( not like it was in 1945, mind you...:) ) If you search for Jacksonville NAS at flightsim.com there's a lot more to download including a repaint for Vertigo F6F in Blue Angels outfit as it was stationed at Jacksonville NAS in 1946. Atleast that's something.. :cool:

cheers,
jan

FAC257
October 31st, 2010, 02:44
The one that I'm using for KNIP is Jim's scenery that puts the seaplane ramps back in operation.

Over at Avsim:
2 knipfsx_213619.zip

Forest

Helldiver
October 31st, 2010, 03:37
Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. KNIP instead of NAS Jacksonville. In FS9 it was always identified as NAS Jacksonville.