PDA

View Full Version : Flying Stations Camberra!

peter12213
October 28th, 2010, 17:07

Well this is gorgeous and while an FS9 Native works beautifully in FSX Accel! Very happy with this addon. Thanks Skyblazer for the tip mate! :salute:

http://www.flyingstations.com/canberra-pack-b2.html

Comes highly recommended, I honestly didn't think this worked in FSX but it does!

Daube
October 28th, 2010, 23:31
Excellent news. Thanks for the info :)

James
October 29th, 2010, 04:07

Well this is gorgeous and while an FS9 Native works beautifully in FSX Accel! Very happy with this addon. Thanks Skyblazer for the tip mate! :salute:

http://www.flyingstations.com/canberra-pack-b2.html

Comes highly recommended, I honestly didn't think this worked in FSX but it does!

neither did I, but now I'm gonna have to give it a try. thanks for the HU.

ananda
October 29th, 2010, 06:01
The only problem I have is that the starter cartridge effect doesn't work in FSX.

delta_lima
October 29th, 2010, 12:42
Good reminder of that great model, Peter.

And if low-level strike is your thing, the same folks are working on a Blackburn Buccaneer ....

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Flying_Stations/index.php?showtopic=10&st=90

should be good times ahead ... :)

dl

nazca_steve
November 2nd, 2010, 14:21
The only problem I have is that the starter cartridge effect doesn't work in FSX.

I've spent some time re-working the engine start effects within FS9, and would be curious to know if they fair any better in X now. Details here:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Flying_Stations/index.php?showtopic=86&view=findpost&p=3233950

peter12213
November 2nd, 2010, 15:39
I'll give it a try and let you know the result when I get a chance!

Rich
November 2nd, 2010, 20:05
Steve, startup effects work for me.

peter12213
November 3rd, 2010, 06:32
Working fine for me too!:salute:

warchild
November 3rd, 2010, 10:29
Welll, i downloaded the b2, then went back and bought the b1.. Both planes fly wonderfully in FSX. I admit i didnt try all the bells and whistles but you guys know me.. as long as it flies I'm happy and the canberra flies beautifully.. It MIGHT be a little quick in the rolls but i cant say.. i know very little abput the real plane, and i'll never understand the british predilection for putting the pilot on the left side of the cockpit.. none the less its a beautiful plane, very nicely done and for five dollars for the b1, they're the best steal there is on the web...

MikeH
November 6th, 2010, 08:12
This is a lovely model & i'm particularly grateful for the 231 OCU paint job as I used to work on the real WE113 at RAF Wyton in the 1980's.

I have two PC's. The Canberra works fine on the old slow one but the textures are missing when trying the plane out on my new PC - I end up with a white Canberra with no markings. Tried to convert the textures to DDS but it won't let me do it with DDs Coverter 2.

Regards

Mike

kilo delta
November 6th, 2010, 08:28
but the textures are missing when trying the plane out on my new PC - I end up with a white Canberra with no markings. Tried to convert the textures to DDS but it won't let me do it with DDs Coverter 2.

Regards

Mike

Are you running in DX10 mode...if so switch to DX9 :)

MikeH
November 6th, 2010, 22:23
Yes, youv'e sorted it. I'm running in DX10.

Many thanks for the info.

Mike

ColoKent
November 6th, 2010, 22:57
...yet ANOTHER EE Canberra. Can't get too many of these, can we?

Now if someone would only do the major B-57 variants life would be great in FSX Canberra-land.

Kent

Roger
November 7th, 2010, 04:32
Very nice model:ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/canberra-1.jpg

nazca_steve
November 7th, 2010, 20:27

Now if someone would only do the major B-57 variants life would be great in FSX Canberra-land.

Kent

Lol, some could say the same thing about the various F-16s, Tornados and P-51s out there for FS!! True, the Canberra has been done before, but I am massively biased as a huge Canberra fan, and you can never have enough of the old girl in my opinion! I am doing the B-57A/RB-57A, but not the tandem canopy I'm afraid...not a big fan of it, but if the rest of the models do well and there is a lot of interest, I will probably do 'em :)

delta_lima
February 18th, 2012, 16:10
Hello,

Finally broke down and joined the Canberra Club! Very impressed. Bought the Tugs & Trainers pack. Very nice indeed.

In FSX, though, my canopy (when in VC) is black. Not in 2D. Only on the T 17, not the T4.Thinking myself clever, I subbed in another glass_T.bmp file from the T 17 - which works fine... , but of course, I've been outsmarted yet again. I think it's the size of file needed for replacement that accounted for this switch to not work - or the more likely theory, that I'm smart like a bag of hammers.

In any event, if anyone has a suitable fix, I'd be much obliged.

Cheers - and bravo Flying Stations!!

DL

greenie
February 18th, 2012, 18:31
Me too, just bought it !...but mine has a slight hitch . The windscreen is dark and cold !..black. The scenery is out there , I just know it is <LABEL for=rb_iconid_19></LABEL><LABEL for=rb_iconid_19></LABEL> . How to clean the screen ?

nazca_steve
February 19th, 2012, 08:20
Sorry to hear you are having these problems chaps. The glass texture was a known issue from an external point of view against certain cloud textures, and now I am hearing these reports of black VC glass as well. Having designed these for FS9, I can't say I have ever done much testing in FSX (limited to one B-57A spin when I bought FSX), but my beta testers had no problems with the earlier packs regarding VC glass during FSX testing.

If I recall rightly, I did make a change to the VC glass on the TT pack. Try this glass_t.bmp file from the B.2 pack and see how you get on with it. If I have a mo this weekend I will do some troubleshooting on it myself. Good of you to pick these up being FSX-users though.

newcomer
February 19th, 2012, 11:50
I own the B.2 pack and unfortunately the glass is all black from the inside ...

greenie
February 19th, 2012, 13:32
Thank you Steve but no luck so far. Being a fs9 model I guess I cant complain ! looking forward to the fix

nazca_steve
February 19th, 2012, 21:00
Sorry to hear that this is a consistent problem then. I suppose I should be pleased at the consistency part at least, lol. Yes, well, possible FSX Cans to come at some point, till then if you have FS9 installed still, boot 'er up, the sim is still a pleasure to look at and the glass is pretty see through ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/MOT_9_019.jpg

delta_lima
February 19th, 2012, 21:11
Yeah Steve - T4 still is black. I'm bummed, because I prefer the T4 to the T17 - but at least the glass is fine on that one. Why the exact same file won't work is beyond me - maybe the texture map is different between the models ... don't know.

Thanks for at least trying - I'll just stick to the T17 ...

Cheers,

DL

nazca_steve
February 19th, 2012, 21:15
Very annoying, and a head-scratcher...I will try to look at this over the coming week if poss. Before I start a new, full-blown FSX project I am going to see if I can muster a proper conversion of one of the Cans to FSX, and in this case will take the T.4 as a starting point. Yeah I have to admit the T.4 is nice, but the T.17 has lots of character with that nose. Still, no amount of VC glass should be black. Will see what I can do.

DaveQ
February 20th, 2012, 04:12

Kent

Presumably you've tried the Alphasim one?? Works OK in FSX except for the usual canopy issue. Also the B2 paint kit could make you a B-57A?

DaveQ

nazca_steve
February 20th, 2012, 07:40
Presumably you've tried the Alphasim one?? Works OK in FSX except for the usual canopy issue. Also the B2 paint kit could make you a B-57A?

DaveQ
If he is really after a B-57A then check out the flyingstations model on it. I believe it is the only dedicated version, I.e not a repainted B.2 out there. The pack includes the RB, JB and WB-57A versions as well.

delta_lima
February 20th, 2012, 07:50
Very annoying, and a head-scratcher...I will try to look at this over the coming week if poss. Before I start a new, full-blown FSX project I am going to see if I can muster a proper conversion of one of the Cans to FSX, and in this case will take the T.4 as a starting point. Yeah I have to admit the T.4 is nice, but the T.17 has lots of character with that nose. Still, no amount of VC glass should be black. Will see what I can do.

Thanks Steve - No stress - I know you're on it. It would have been more disappointing if the model had been billed a true FSX model - so in truth, there is no fault on FS's part in the least. You intended it for FS9, and so in the case of this sim, it's caveat emptor. I just saw Peter's and other's comments and assumed it would be ok. You're not at all to blame.

The T22 is nice in it's own wild-boar sort of way, and the paints are superb with the weathering. The glass is still very much half full, my friend! :icon29:

cheers,

DL

DaveQ
February 20th, 2012, 07:57
If he is really after a B-57A then check out the flyingstations model on it. I believe it is the only dedicated version, I.e not a repainted B.2 out there. The pack includes the RB, JB and WB-57A versions as well.

I thought it was a tandom cockpit one Kent was after but of course the dedicated B-57A would be best.

warchild
February 20th, 2012, 09:18
Just downloaded your b-57 pack.. already had your B2 pack :).. excellent job all the way around..
Was curious though. If you do get a successful fsx conversion, would you possibly consider adding in a Wb-57F to the family??

nazca_steve
February 20th, 2012, 19:26
I think Colo Kent was after the full range of B-57s, so logically that would start with the little-known 57A series, but the meat of the release would be the far better known tandem series. And frankly after doing the 'A's it would be nice to take that base model and build the tandem series out of it. So, to Warchild's question, if this series does happen, there is no reason at all I could not do the WB-57F model (even if this barely resembles a Canberra anymore!) And yes, Delta the T.17 (I think that's what you meant) is a wild boar looking thing, but with bags of charm. Incidentally, the T.22 is coming out in the last pack for FS9, currently in beta but should be with us soon.

Thanks very much for picking up the FS9 packs, both Delta and Warchild, and for your compliments. Indeed these were never billed as FSX but I think barring the black glass it was a pleasant suprise just how much compatibility came through in X. As I said, barring some of the custom anims timing being off or plain missing, I was amazed at taking a quick spin in the B-57A how good it looked and handled, even in bog-standard FSX (i.e. no with no addons!).

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/grab_FSX_B57_003.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/grab_FSX_B57_006.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/grab_FSX_B57_009.jpg

delta_lima
February 20th, 2012, 19:42
Yes - sorry - meant the T17. I actually was planning on holding out for the M of T pack with the T22, but figured, what the heck. I am curious, though, how Peter got it to work with no glass issues ... bizarre.

Looking forward to the T22, for sure!

DL

warchild
February 21st, 2012, 14:02
I think Colo Kent was after the full range of B-57s, so logically that would start with the little-known 57A series, but the meat of the release would be the far better known tandem series. And frankly after doing the 'A's it would be nice to take that base model and build the tandem series out of it. So, to Warchild's question, if this series does happen, there is no reason at all I could not do the WB-57F model (even if this barely resembles a Canberra anymore!) And yes, Delta the T.17 (I think that's what you meant) is a wild boar looking thing, but with bags of charm. Incidentally, the T.22 is coming out in the last pack for FS9, currently in beta but should be with us soon.

Thanks very much for picking up the FS9 packs, both Delta and Warchild, and for your compliments. Indeed these were never billed as FSX but I think barring the black glass it was a pleasant suprise just how much compatibility came through in X. As I said, barring some of the custom anims timing being off or plain missing, I was amazed at taking a quick spin in the B-57A how good it looked and handled, even in bog-standard FSX (i.e. no with no addons!).

No thanks needed.. Rather, thank you for producing these wonderful aircraft. I like them all veryy much actually, but i must admit, wit tose incredible wings, the wb-57F is a true sight to behold..

looks very ungainly on the ground, but in the air?? gotta love those wings :)
Pam

nazca_steve
February 21st, 2012, 16:02
You know as much as the sight of it bothers me at times, it is fun trying to find the 'bits' of original Canberra in there. The undercarriage looks the same, as does the tailplane. All in all, I think the WB-57F is the ultimate departure from Petter's original A.1 design, despite all the variants that have been made over the years. This is not a bad thing (even though visually it's no tmy fave), it just shows the versatility of this fantastic aircraft. When all's said and done, how many other designs have served so many air forces for so many years, in so many roles? You'd be hard pushed to find another military design with that many appearances. That NASA still uses this variant in a useful role is brilliant.

One other thing worth noting on the WB-57F - I believe this is the only Canberra to use turbofan engines. Look at the size of those things...fantastic. Do you know the thrust rating on them by chance? I'd like to compare it to the original mark Avon fitted on the A.1 at 6,000lb thrust.

delta_lima
February 22nd, 2012, 09:08
You know as much as the sight of it bothers me at times, it is fun trying to find the 'bits' of original Canberra in there. The undercarriage looks the same, as does the tailplane. All in all, I think the WB-57F is the ultimate departure from Petter's original A.1 design, despite all the variants that have been made over the years. This is not a bad thing (even though visually it's no tmy fave), it just shows the versatility of this fantastic aircraft. When all's said and done, how many other designs have served so many air forces for so many years, in so many roles? You'd be hard pushed to find another military design with that many appearances. That NASA still uses this variant in a useful role is brilliant.

One other thing worth noting on the WB-57F - I believe this is the only Canberra to use turbofan engines. Look at the size of those things...fantastic. Do you know the thrust rating on them by chance? I'd like to compare it to the original mark Avon fitted on the A.1 at 6,000lb thrust.

The WB-57 actually started as RB-57Fs, in weather reconnaissance / atmospheric sampling roles, eventually redesignated WB-57F. Some were reputed to have been deployed to bona fide strategic reconnaissance work, and I believe a few were loaned to Pakistan during the late 60s for that kind of work.

The P&W TF-33 turbofans fitted put out approx 16,000 lb thrust each, for an approx max takeoff weight of 59,000lb = t/w = .54. That's compared to the two Avons putting out 12,000 for an approx max takeoff weight of around 55,000lb = t/w = 0.22. So they, in combination with the radical change in shape and size, to say nothing of the highly advanced honeycomb sandwich construction borrowed from the B-58 Hustler, really underscored how highly evolved the platform would eventually become.

The WB-57 was flying at Edwards two of the three times I've visited, and I recall those engines being insanely loud. I understand pilots use only roughly half throttle on takeoff ... very impressive.

DL

nazca_steve
February 22nd, 2012, 20:50
Well...16,000lb per engine! And I though the Bristol Olympus 102s I've been doing in this latest pack were meaty at 12,000lb each! No one wonder they only need half throttle on take off otherwise you'd not get the u/c up in time before the 200kt mark! (assuming that has not changed). Speaking of foreign users of the RB-57F - didn't the Chinese Nationalists get some at some point?

Bone
February 24th, 2012, 08:59
<tbody>
<center>FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern Military</center><center>FS2004 General Dynamics RB\WB-57F
</center><center>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/kdl.php?fid=99311) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=99311) ] </center>
Name: rb57_pak.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/kdl.php?fid=99311) Size: 10,423,924 Date: 03-21-2006 Downloads: 3,899
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/l/rb57_pak.gif FS2004 General Dynamics RB\WB-57F high altitude recon and weather research aircraft. The ultimate version of the B-57 Canberra series of tactical bombers. General Dynamics was contracted to convert twelve B-57B's into high altitude recon planes. Featuring a wingspan twice the original B57 span, longer fuselage and enlarged tail surfaces, the B-57F also featured new TF-33 turbofan engines, removable auxiliary J60 engines, new sensors and a new fuel tank arrangement. Later designated WB-57F, they were retired, except for two still flying with NASA on atmospheric research missions. These planes can be fitted with multiple pallets containing different experiments and test gear. This aircraft pack includes USAF and NASA models, each with proper panels and other details, VC's with custom XML gauges, and full animations including flexing wings. By Tim Conrad (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/main/review/conrad.htm).

</tbody>

warchild
February 24th, 2012, 11:10
heheh.. Thanks Bone. I've got that one, and its one of my favorites. But the cockpit's not correct. I'd really like to see what these folks can do with it. :)
Pam

warchild
February 24th, 2012, 11:36
Steve.
your correct. The WB-57F was the furthest extreme that the airframe design was taken. The engines were so powerful because there isnt a lot of air at 70-90000 feet where it calls home.
As a testiment to the design, when i last looked, one WB-57F was still being flown for high altitude imagery. Three were in mothballs. That was just a year or two back so theyre still going after decades of service.
the aircraft has served many incredible roles in its lifetime. Bomber, recon, weather, spy, you name it. Most recently, it was used in 2007 to map Afghanistan
( http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1235/downloads/OF08-1235_508.pdf ).
The WB-57 and the entire canberra line may be getting too old to rock and roll, but its far too young to die.
Pam

nazca_steve
February 26th, 2012, 15:46
Amen, brother, it is/was too young to die! If only the RAF had thought the same in 2006 when we kissed goodbye to the PR.9 (actually I think the RAF was loath to retire them as at the time there was no adequate replacement. Not sure what they use now, I heard it was some crappy civvie Biz Jet or something but don't quote me on it...)

Bottom line is the Canberra is a force of nature and I will always love it...and yes I am sure I can force myself to make the 57F at some point down the line. Just the Sea Hawk HAS to come first...

nazca_steve
February 29th, 2012, 20:42
Yes - sorry - meant the T17. I actually was planning on holding out for the M of T pack with the T22, but figured, what the heck. I am curious, though, how Peter got it to work with no glass issues ... bizarre.

Looking forward to the T22, for sure!

DL

Evening all. For those that have had problems with VC glass being black in some Canberra cockpits in FSX, please read on.

Sorted! Turns out a while ago I had been messing around with an alternative texture for the VC glass, as some folk had been unhappy with the shade and reflection. In doing so, I had mapped the VC glass to a different file. For some reason FS9 did not mind this, but in FSX, without that file, it was rendering the area completely black.

The easy workaround for this, rather than me spend ages going through, re-mapping it to glass_T.bmp and re-compiling the models, is to copy the existing glass_T.bmp you have in the 'black' cockpit Canberras and rename it to: glassvc_T.bmp. Leave the old glass_T.bmp in there too. Voila, it solves the problem with the soon to be released Master of Tasks pack, and my guess is it will do the same in the other packs too.

Please let me know how you get on and thanks for your patience.

Steve

delta_lima
February 29th, 2012, 22:29
Thanks Steve ... well done.

FYI (everyone else) - M of T pack is released! http://www.flyingstations.com/canberra-pack-master-of-tasks.html :applause:

DL

hae5904
March 1st, 2012, 00:22
Thanks Daniel for the HU !

Bought it...!

Cheers,
Hank

greenie
March 1st, 2012, 08:47
Hi Steve,
Tried the mod but sadly it hasn't worked . Ive just finished a hard long day and am a bit over tired , I will double check everything after my sleep to make sure I did it correctly. Thanks .

newcomer
March 1st, 2012, 09:49
"The easy workaround for this, rather than me spend ages going through, re-mapping it to glass_T.bmp and re-compiling the models, is to copy the existing glass_T.bmp you have in the 'black' cockpit Canberras and rename it to: glassvc_T.bmp. Leave the old glass_T.bmp in there too."

Works great with the B.2 pack :jump: Thanks for solving that issue :guinness::guinness::guinness:!!

nazca_steve
March 1st, 2012, 11:36
Flipping heck, what a relief! After quoting me I thought you were going to say it was a total failiure! Lol. But yes, I did sit in FSX last night and the glass looked good enough to me - now if only I could crack (sorry, pun) the exterior model glass issues with see through clouds...oh well, perhaps not for these FS9 native packs, but rest assured anything FSX native from this point on will be sorted.Thanks all for your support so far.

Chris Sykes
March 2nd, 2012, 00:11
Flipping heck, what a relief! After quoting me I thought you were going to say it was a total failiure! Lol. But yes, I did sit in FSX last night and the glass looked good enough to me - now if only I could crack (sorry, pun) the exterior model glass issues with see through clouds...oh well, perhaps not for these FS9 native packs, but rest assured anything FSX native from this point on will be sorted.Thanks all for your support so far.

Is that a slight hint at FSX canberra's?

nazca_steve
March 2nd, 2012, 09:34
No slight hint needed - they are on the project list for 2012 at some point after the new Hawker Sea Hawk. At this point however I do not have plans to do the entire series from FS9; perhaps just a few of the most popular, but tandem seat B-57s are planned and also the fighter canopy interdictors.

Sundog
March 2nd, 2012, 16:00
No slight hint needed - they are on the project list for 2012 at some point after the new Hawker Sea Hawk. At this point however I do not have plans to do the entire series from FS9; perhaps just a few of the most popular, but tandem seat B-57s are planned and also the fighter canopy interdictors.

Awesome. As long as you're doing the fighter canopy variant, I hope that means there is a chance of the PR.9 variant sneaking in as well. You can definitely put me down for the 57's as well. :)

nazca_steve
March 2nd, 2012, 18:53
The PR.9 is a more complex build, but it could be on the cards. There's a lot of interest in this variant, I'll warrant that. But as you point out, it's not too far removed from a normal Canberra interdictor. The 57s should be interesting to build too, especially the long wing 57F. Not to mention that the bomber 57 packed some serious firepower which should be fun to model.

peter12213
March 5th, 2012, 17:09
Just noticed this thread guys, I have no idea why the canopy worked but I do assure you it was in Accel using dxt9.

And put me down for a PR9 wouldn't bother modeling a VC for the front cabin though lol.

nazca_steve
March 6th, 2012, 18:32
Lol, what, you don't want a whole decked out VC just to see out of the tiny little side windows? Agreed, a VC view for that is questionable, but I would certainly model a fair bit of detail in there for opening the nose cone on the exterior model. WHEN it comes that is ;)

Chris Sykes
March 7th, 2012, 00:36
Ah sounds great!!! A PR9 is a must, if its possible!

peter12213
March 7th, 2012, 01:51
Lol, what, you don't want a whole decked out VC just to see out of the tiny little side windows? Agreed, a VC view for that is questionable, but I would certainly model a fair bit of detail in there for opening the nose cone on the exterior model. WHEN it comes that is ;)

Sensible idea mate lol!

nazca_steve
March 12th, 2012, 20:40
Evening all,

for those FSX users that recently picked up the Master of Tasks pack, you may now be interested in picking up some repaints for it: http://www.flyingstations.com/repaints-can-mot.html

I also just uploaded a nice colourful new TT.18 for the Tugs & Trainers pack that some of you may have: http://www.flyingstations.com/repaints-can-tt.html

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/B2_paints_039.jpg

nazca_steve
March 12th, 2012, 21:38
Evening all. For those that have had problems with VC glass being black in some Canberra cockpits in FSX, please read on.

The easy workaround for this, rather than me spend ages going through, re-mapping it to glass_T.bmp and re-compiling the models, is to copy the existing glass_T.bmp you have in the 'black' cockpit Canberras and rename it to: glassvc_T.bmp. Leave the old glass_T.bmp in there too. Voila, it solves the problem with the soon to be released Master of Tasks pack, and my guess is it will do the same in the other packs too.

Steve

**UPDATE 12/3/12:

Finally realised this might be of more use than a simple text solution. So here is a the missing glass texture on here for all those FSX users having trouble with black glass. Just drop this into the texture folder of the offending a/c and you're in business.

greenie
March 13th, 2012, 19:02
Thank you Steve , up and running now .

nazca_steve
March 13th, 2012, 19:46
Good to hear, Greenie. All I ever ask is post some screens - it'd be nice to see how they look on something other than my (at present) bog-standard version of FSX!

greenie
March 14th, 2012, 19:29
Here ya go mate, some postcards from Australia , Alice Springs and Cairns...contact pionts in look out of adjustment in Alice Springs but ok elsewhere . Odd, but no problems anyway .

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/6442012_1_30_6_1_32_222.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/2212012_1_30_6_5_27_967.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/2212012_1_30_6_34_8_704.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/9662012_1_30_6_53_4_830.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/4342012_1_30_6_56_48_309.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/3012012_1_30_6_58_13_4.jpg

nazca_steve
March 15th, 2012, 09:13
Whoa. Greenie those shots look flipping fantastic! (You should be running the Aussie GAF B.Mk.20 mind you!) Ok so this is peaking my interest in how these run in FSX...which by all means does not look too shabby from an exterior standpoint. Canopy glass still an issue but I am going to sort that out at some point soon. Contact points - yeah odd but hopefully a freak occurrence there.

Next questions: What setup are you using in FSX, such as addons, light bloom etc. as those screens look the dogs.

spatialpro
March 15th, 2012, 11:30
What airfield is that??

cheers

Andy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/B2_paints_039.jpg

nazca_steve
March 15th, 2012, 12:30
Hah. Not Llanbedr as it should have been...it was Lossiemouth where I most of my testing these days. Nice and quiet up there ;)

greenie
March 15th, 2012, 17:32
Steve,
What settings am I using ? I have been playing around so much lately with my settings I'll take a guess at what it is . I use Shade and the shots may be using "ethereal sky". Im playing around with a lod of 7.5 .REX is Sparkling water and the clouds could be anything ,try Cumulous 57 and my visibility is usually at 20 miles.

The Cairns scenery has its own mods to the local ocean water.

In game .light bloom on , all aircraft shadows on , Scenery - all maxed out except mesh @5 metres

I think what really helps is my i7 2600k and a GTX580 :-)

If you want a more specific screenshot i.e. a close up or whatever, just sing out.

nazca_steve
March 15th, 2012, 19:39
Hmm, well, I may not be quite up to that setup...nevertheless, good to know what can be achieved with sliders right in FSX (apparently a heck of a lot!) If I can get half of that on my humble rig I will be happy. I have a lot of playing around to do to see what happy medium can be achieved.

**UPDATE:

I started messing around with some addons tonight. Bought Active Sky Evolution (serves both sims, so good for me) and installed some of the free REX textures. Got a fair way to go making it look pretty, although with light bloom and ASE running I noticed a decent frame rate hit :( Despite that I have to say, having hardly messed around with the Dark Side, I am impressed with what I see so far...things are far more 'alive' now with all the airport tugs etc. Pretty cool stuff.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/FSX_test_018.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/FSX_test_017.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/nazca_steve/Canberras/FSX_test_007.jpg