PDA

View Full Version : Help Please.. finding new sound card

HouseHobbit
October 28th, 2010, 09:32
Hi All,
I am in the need for a new sound card PCI..

I would like to ask If anyone knows a CHEAP spot to get them??
I would Like to stay under 70 - 75 dollars (US) if possible..
It doesn't have to be the top line of course..
I am replacing a 9 year old sound card..
And need a upgrade,

My computer is a 3.066 dual core P4
2 gig ram DDR 2
512 meg ASUS 8400 video card.. PCE slot
Thanks very much..
Hobbit

Trans_23
October 28th, 2010, 09:39
I would go to newegg.com and see what they have then order it or go to a brick and mortar store and buy it. I don't think you will have a problem staying under $70. I would think you could pick up an adequate card for $20.

OBIO
October 28th, 2010, 09:41
HH

If your system on the on-board sound chip, I would recommend giving it a try before shelling out the money for a new sound card. I installed a dedicated sound card into my system and saw my frame rates drop in both CFS2 and FS2004. Not by a huge amount, but enough that I was not happy with the drop. Yanked the card back out, went back to the on-board sound and haven't looked back since.

My system is far older than yours, and the on-board sound supports up to 5.1 channel surround and delivers a pretty impressive sound.

OBIO

Willy
October 28th, 2010, 10:44
I'll second Obio, but with me it was CFS 1, CFS 3 and FS9. I lost about 5fps from the Audigy 2 sound card over the onboard sound chip. That being said, I'm now running a used older than dirt Soundblaster PCI that my computer guy sold me for $5 installed last time my comp was in his shop. I really can't tell much difference on the frames with it and FS9.

Terry
October 28th, 2010, 10:58
What about the sales ploy used by card manufacturers that the sound card will take some of the load off the processor. Sounds like it adds to it!

Roadburner440
October 28th, 2010, 16:44
I have a sound card I could send you House Hobbit. I have to pull it out of my Alienware that is in storage.. At the time it was the top of the line Soundblaster card though. Maybe circa 2005-2006. I can echo the points in the posts above though that the sound cards usually makes FPS worse.. Is why on this latest rig I just use the onboard sound chip, and I do not notice a difference in the sound quality. Plus I saved money not adding in a sound card.

Navy Chief
October 28th, 2010, 17:20
I agree with the above comments about using your onboard MB sound, if possible. If the sound is good enough, and you can prevent a hit (however slight) on your FPS, then cool!

NC

HouseHobbit
October 28th, 2010, 19:36
I have a sound card I could send you House Hobbit. I have to pull it out of my Alienware that is in storage.. At the time it was the top of the line Soundblaster card though. Maybe circa 2005-2006. I can echo the points in the posts above though that the sound cards usually makes FPS worse.. Is why on this latest rig I just use the onboard sound chip, and I do not notice a difference in the sound quality. Plus I saved money not adding in a sound card.

Please do, I sent a PM..