PDA

View Full Version : Just received my new A2 Jacket!

Oelwanne
October 27th, 2010, 08:13
Hi Everybody,
i received my new A2 Jacket today. For me it is my first A2
ever. I wonder if some of you Guys own already a Flightjacket (maybe A2 Model?).
This one is a new A2 Rough Wear in a great Time Worn Look.
I think this replication is perfect.
Some Pics:

This Jacket was made by Eastman Leather Clothing (sorry for the advertisement).
Takes me a lot of Euros..... i was saving Money for 6 Months for this Jacket.
Guess what: It is worth every Penny:jump:
Maybe someone has also a nice Flightjacket (maybe originals?) and Pics of it??
Just post them here!

:salute:

hey_moe
October 27th, 2010, 09:22
Did ya order me one?

Oelwanne
October 27th, 2010, 09:27
Well im not Santa! :jump:
But if you give me the Money i can order for you! Youīre Welcome!:bump:

luckydog
October 27th, 2010, 11:21
Looks good !!!!

Jagdflieger
October 27th, 2010, 11:43
My wife bought me an A2 replica jacket for Christmas back in 81 or 82. I still wear it, but now I have a hard time getting it back from my son who also loves to wear it.

Toastmaker
October 27th, 2010, 12:27
Good choice. Ageless classic style. It'll last the rest of your life.

:running:

Oelwanne
October 27th, 2010, 12:27
Dedicated to Jagdflieger!
Children are a pleasure....arnīt they?
If you still wear it....it was a fine piece of Jacket!
Greetings to the Jagdflieger!

Navy Chief
October 27th, 2010, 14:11
Here's a couple pictures of the USN version. The earlier versions of this jacket were made of (I believe) a higher quality leather that would show more wear over the years, which looks better in my opinion. Unfortunately, newer ones like mine do not. Additionally, I believe the collars were higher quality. Am definitely not complaining! I love my jacket! I have not had any patches on this one yet. Can't make up my mind which ones!

NC

Meshman
October 27th, 2010, 14:43
I've got a jacket like shown in the pictures, but it carries a G-1 label, with the USN along the zipper area. What's the difference?

Noticed the bottom fabric is getting a bit worn out and it's a little stiff, but still a good coat for a cold day.

Navy Chief
October 27th, 2010, 14:50
I've got a jacket like shown in the pictures, but it carries a G-1 label, with the USN along the zipper area. What's the difference?

Noticed the bottom fabric is getting a bit worn out and it's a little stiff, but still a good coat for a cold day.

The difference being yours is a Navy version!

Panther_99FS
October 27th, 2010, 16:26
Congratulations! :salute:

(No way I could wear one though...)

Navy Chief
October 27th, 2010, 16:46
Congratulations! :salute:

(No way I could wear one though...)

Why is that?

jmig
October 27th, 2010, 17:03
I have one. Had to buy it however. :( The USAF started giving them out shortly after my time. I still have a couple of the green nylon/nomex ones, including one with the reversible orange liner.

Panther_99FS
October 27th, 2010, 17:19
Why is that?

Chief,
In the USAF, these things are earned...And since I work around quite a few aircrew members, I would definitely be looked down upon....

Navy Chief
October 27th, 2010, 17:25
Chief,
In the USAF, these things are earned...And since I work around quite a few aircrew members, I would definitely be looked down upon....

In the USN, unless things have changed (which they probably have) only aircrew were authorized to wear either the leather or nylon flight jackets. But the CPOs and Os in the squadrons wore them, regardless of flight status. But not enlisted, unless they were flight crew.

Trans_23
October 27th, 2010, 17:41
I have one. Had to buy it however. :( The USAF started giving them out shortly after my time. I still have a couple of the green nylon/nomex ones, including one with the reversible orange liner.
That was the MA-1. I had one in the service also. The cuffs always fell apart after a while. We were still authorized to wear them with BDU's later on but only when doing our job.

OBIO
October 27th, 2010, 23:56
The only "flight jacket" I ever had was many many many years ago, back when I was a pre-teen kid...maybe 11 or 12 years old. My parents bought me a "flight jacket" for Christmas. Money was always tight, so the best they could get me was a thin vinyl shelled replica with some rather cheesy patches that were glued on. The jacket lasted about 2 weeks...I bumped up against the wood burning stove on a really cold day, a day that Dad had the wood burner stoked to the gills, and melted a line across the lower edge of the back of the jacket.

OBIO

stansdds
October 28th, 2010, 02:06
Obio, I remember those. Mine did not have any cheezy patches, but it was classic pleather.

I bought a G1 when I went to college, still have it, although it seems to have shrunk... a lot!

Wittpilot
October 28th, 2010, 20:31
Great looking jacket! I am well into double-digits when it comes to leather A-2's... My father & brother paint them on the side. They have painted several for pilots and crew for Liberty Belle. I will try and snap some photos tomorrow to show you all... Some may remeber, I've posted most before.

I actually buy all of our jackets on eBay. If you hold out long enough, you are guaranteed to get a great deal eventually. And the great thing about real leather jackets, they wear great. I got one on eBay that I thought was absolutely great, but it smelled like smoke!!! Of course it didn't say it did in the auction, but it didn't say it didn't either and I obviously forgot to ask. I was piiiiiiised... BUT, I hung it outside for a whole day, and then let it han gin the closet for a week.... Now it is like brand new, no more smell!!!!!

-witt

Oelwanne
October 29th, 2010, 06:03
Here's a couple pictures of the USN version. The earlier versions of this jacket were made of (I believe) a higher quality leather that would show more wear over the years, which looks better in my opinion. Unfortunately, newer ones like mine do not. Additionally, I believe the collars were higher quality. Am definitely not complaining! I love my jacket! I have not had any patches on this one yet. Can't make up my mind which ones!

NC

Thatīs an G-1 if im right. Looks great!

@Wittpilot: That would be great! Would really like it so see some of the Painted ones!

Oelwanne
October 29th, 2010, 06:15

As far as i know the G1 (Navy Flight Jacket) was the replacement for the M422A. Introduced in 1950.

Oelwanne
October 29th, 2010, 08:34
Just forget to mention my new Desk Coasters.....
Here some Pics :kilroy: