PDA

View Full Version : Wake Isalnd - Plum Island

Helldiver
October 26th, 2010, 12:21
I just watched an old movie, "Wake Island". It had Brian Donlevy, a very young Robert Preston, Bill Bendix and filmed in 1942.
It was filled with "shipping over music" and the Marine Hymn. Loads of F4-F Wildcats and PBYs. A beautiful landing of a Catalina. However it was not filmed at a Pacific atoll. Instead of that they used Plum Island and Plum Island Airport for the background. Unfortunately, the US Marines didn't win this one.
A big difference from Bill Womacks version of Plum Island Airport.

TARPSBird
October 26th, 2010, 12:30
The Marines didn't win but they definitely made the Japanese pay for the real estate. HD, thanks for posting, I've been wanting to put this movie on my Netflix list. :)

lifejogger
October 26th, 2010, 12:39
Wake Island is a good patriotic war movies. I probably get it out once a year and watch it.

Navy Chief
October 26th, 2010, 14:03
One of the legends concerning the Marines valiant battle at Wake, was a supposed message saying, "Send Us More Japs".

But a message with that phrase was NOT transmitted. It was a great recruiting tool though!

http://books.google.com/books?id=NCOEYJ0q-DUC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=send+us+more+japs&source=bl&ots=hASBPBu_EG&sig=iWQ0lERbJe0MxKzc_qjaVS_iJQo&hl=en&ei=60_HTM7cEsb_lge12MCwAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q=send%20us%20more%20japs&f=false

Scratch
October 26th, 2010, 14:21
Thanks for the trivia HD. It's been awhile since I've seen that one. I've added it to my weekend viewing list.