PDA

View Full Version : 2 months without FSX installed....

CrazyPants
October 26th, 2010, 01:53
So it has been roughly 2 months since my raid 0 array crashed and I lost everything on my hard drives, including all my FSX addons etc.

Since then, I have yet to reinstall FSX as I find the task seemingly overwhelming. The initial install is not the problem, it is all the addons...aircraft, scenery, etc., that is keeping me away.

Does anyone know of a guide to sort through all the patches and SP1/SP2/Gold/Acceleration updates and how that coincides with current scenery/aircraft requirements? I have FSX and Acceleration if that helps.

I am completely lost as to where to begin. The absence of FSX on my PC is turning into quite the noticeable itch....:jump:s

Oelwanne
October 26th, 2010, 02:20
I had to reinstall everything after some Problems with a Shader mod. I did a complete reinstall of my OS also (was about Time for that).
If you install the Gold edition (FSX+Acceleration) you dont need any Patches.
I just installed afterwards FTX PNW and some of my favourite Airplanes.
With that fresh install and some tweaks in the fsx.cfg it runs very smooth.

Anyway maybe this could be a little help for you:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

regards

AndyE1976
October 26th, 2010, 05:21
I did a fresh install not too long ago when my graphics card died and a system restore killed W7. I took the opportunity to go to W7-64 and reinstall.

FSX itself is simple, just make sure you run it between FSX and Acceleration. The add-ons though can take some time.

I created a spreadsheet with all the add-ons listed and their registration keys if required and marked them off as they were installed. I was lucky as I have a 1tb secondary drive that had enough space to copy my whole FSX folder to, so I had that for reference for any paints that needed to be reinstalled. Even though I could have just copied aircraft back from that, I chose to do a fresh installation as I couldn't be sure there wasn't something else that the instalers would deposit on my PC that might be necessary.

Took about 4hrs in total and I have a tonne of stuff, but I was able to just link to a lot of my scenery rather than reinstalling since that lives permanently on my secondary drive.

I would recommend getting a cheap 1tb or 2tb drive to backup any future FSX installation just to make it simpler to reinstall.

Chunk
October 26th, 2010, 12:09
I had to reinstall everything after some Problems with a Shader mod. I did a complete reinstall of my OS also (was about Time for that).
If you install the Gold edition (FSX+Acceleration) you dont need any Patches.
I just installed afterwards FTX PNW and some of my favourite Airplanes.
With that fresh install and some tweaks in the fsx.cfg it runs very smooth.

Anyway maybe this could be a little help for you:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

regards

+1 on Nick's guide, it is a must use!

That being said, I'm one month with no FSX to fly around with. I just need to find the time to sit down and re-install EVERYTHING! At least I'm on Windows 7 and have IL-2 and RoF to have fun with.

CrazyPants
December 8th, 2010, 13:12
I'm back!!!! :wavey:

Well last night I finally tracked down my FSX and Acceleration discs and got FSX up and running. Now to go about recovering aircraft and scenery. I think for awhile I'll just stick with my Vertigo and A2A purchases up in PNW :)