PDA

View Full Version : Piper Cub pursued by Dangerous Sparkler!

Wing_Z
September 30th, 2008, 19:08
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=eEa2LRvI4sQ

I had a tailstrike while taking off at Vienna with the POSKY 747.
This gives rise to smoke and sparks, which is not unreasonable.
What is, is the fact that they won't go away, even if you load another aircraft!
Is there a way to stop the effect from enduring?

And, since I'm asking, how does one cure the POSKY "ploughing straight on with nosewheel turned" problem?

Tom Clayton
September 30th, 2008, 22:15
Being chased by the sparkler is a result of POSky's effect file. It keeps up even after the strike to simulate a burning piece of aircraft.

As for the plowing nosewheel, it depends on the aircraft. They have an extensive knowlege base on their forum. Search there before posting or you'll be publically caned for asking something that's already been answered. (If it's a case of the nosewheel animation not responding, try putting their original panel back in.)

Lionheart
October 1st, 2008, 00:54
You could try reloading the aircraft. You must assign a command to your keyboard controls/commands, 'reload aircraft', and use something like Control/Shift/R for the actual reload keyboard command.

Then when it happens again, reload the plane. FS pauses, reloads the aircraft, and hopefully the problem is gone.

This was the reason I quit using all Posky jets when I was in the Virtual Airlines scene. Tap the tail of that 747 on the runway and that effect just keeps going. Land it smooth as silk and it was still too hard and the gear would collapse.... Hated that after a several hour flight, several times in a row..... No more...

Bill

Wing_Z
October 1st, 2008, 12:39
...They have an extensive knowlege base on their forum. Search there before posting or you'll be publically caned...Yes I had a look there, but simply got referred to an updated FDE which does nothing to improve the situation. Not looking for a caning, I thought I'd ask here :mixedsmi:
The nose wheel ploughing is not an animation problem - it turns but the aircraft doesn't. MS stock a/c also do this. Would there be a line you could modify in the aircraft.cfg?

Wing_Z
October 1st, 2008, 12:43
You could try reloading the aircraft...This was the reason I quit using all Posky jets...BillI'm assuming <Alt>A/A<Enter>would reload the a/c. What puzzled me was that the effect persisted, even after changing planes.
I'll try changing/reloading a few times, then.
Problem is, the POSKY models are really very pretty, and every now and then one gets tempted to have a look.:costumes:
Their 777 with VC is masterful.

Lionheart
October 1st, 2008, 14:17
Problem is, the POSKY models are really very pretty, and every now and then one gets tempted to have a look.:costumes:
Their 777 with VC is masterful.

Posky is one of the best! Their models and textures are very high quality and freeware as well. I loved my Tripple Seven and Four Seven. Great planes..

By the way, they recently released a CRJ biz jet at AVSIM. Something about Vegas, (logo and paint scheme). The model is absolutely amazing, but no VC.... The interior of the door entry area, high detail sky stairs, texturing, reflections built into the graphics like on the wing roots are so well done, the thing looks photographically real. But who can fly without a VC these days.. arrgh...

fliger747
October 1st, 2008, 16:51
The real 747 (which I fly) has very light nose wheel loading. Too much of a steering angle and the nose will just skid ahead. For examle, an aircraft at an all up weight of 870,000# might only have 22000# on the nose, not a lot of traction!

T.

Lionheart
October 1st, 2008, 17:33
Yikes....!

Incredible that they can carry that much weight.

Have you had a chance to fly on board an A-380 yet? Would you welcome the opportunity to fly one of those?

Tom Clayton
October 1st, 2008, 22:04
Several months ago, I stumbled across a revised SIM1.dll with better tire/ground friction values. It makes my heavies much more well behaved when taxiing. I keep a copy here (http://www.transloadairlines.com/newweb/Toms/sim1_dll.zip) for emergencies. Just remember to back up your original in case you don't like this one.

Edit: Almost forgot, it's located in the Flight Simulator 9\Modules folder.

fliger747
October 2nd, 2008, 09:34
Yes, the reduction of surface friction helps some of the strange behavior in FS9. FSX seems to have cured much of this.

To be opinionated (I have seen the A380 on numerous ocassions) I think it is a graceless airplane. Perhaps they will get some of it's issues sorted out, perhaps not. It continues to consume much valuable engineering time that Airbus needs to apply to the (for them) vital A350 series.

I will have a chance to be one of the first operators of the 747-800. On the other end of the scale I am again owner of a Supercub, floats, wheels and skis.

As to 747 tail strikes: If this is an issue, flaps 20 is a better setting than flaps 10; As with most Boeings, rotate at 3 deg (pitch) per second to ten degrees, as the mains clear the pavement continue to thirteen degrees.

Wing_Z
October 3rd, 2008, 18:24
The real 747 (which I fly) has very light nose wheel loading. Too much of a steering angle and the nose will just skid ahead....
OK here's what I'm on about:
piWMzRv6q-M
You can see the POSKY version has about 50% more "plough" than the Overland model. Watch in particular when the POSKY 747 straightens out - it just sort of drifts forever...
Be interested to hear which you think is more realistic.

As to 747 tail strikes: If this is an issue, flaps 20 is a better setting than flaps 10; Also, checking you are not over MTOW does help...:redf:

fliger747
October 3rd, 2008, 19:58
My dialup is a bit slow to watch the U-tube, however what I saw of it shows quite a slip angle with the nose gear. Not even PMDG can get all the steering charcteristics correct. part of this is that using the tiller at low speeds the rudder is not connected and angles of up to 70 deg is possible. FS does not permit this disconnect, so a choice is made between over sensitive nose steering with rudder application or less effective nose angle. Also past 12 deg (and under 15 kts GS) body gear steering pivots the inner gear opposite to the nose steering, helping the overall turning ability a lot.

T.

fliger747
October 3rd, 2008, 19:59
At max tko, flaps 20, V2=182 knots!

T.