PDA

View Full Version : C-17 just took off from KMFD

OBIO
October 24th, 2010, 12:34
I am at my sister-in-law/brother-in-law's house working on my BIL's computer. Was here yesterday evening as well...and just happened to be outside at the end of the drive way having a smoke and looking in the direction of KMFD (Mansfield Lahm Regional) and saw a KC-135 taxiing along. That was the closest I have been to a KC-135...about .6 of a mile away. I called flight operations to confirm that it was a 135 (it was) and to ask about the C-130s as I haven't seen them in a few months (they are gone, distributed to full duty USAF units). They do have one new C-27J Spartan. The gal on the phone told me that a C-17 was due in at around 8 pm last night. I missed seeing it land...but I got to see and HEAR it take off. This was the first time I have seen a C-17 in real life....man that is one big fat plane! And this was the first time that I have heard a real large jet take off....I really need bigger speakers on my computer to do it justice. That bird was loud! From just over a half mile away, the sound was almost overwhelming...but I liked it!

OBIO

Wing_Z
October 24th, 2010, 14:22
You say "How can you have the hots for an aircraft?"
I say "How can you not?"
I love the C-17 for many reasons, but mostly because it just looks the business.
We have C-17's pass through NZ from time to time, and in company of C-5's they are at present resupplying Antarctic Operation Deep Freeze through Christchurch.

Panther_99FS
October 24th, 2010, 14:56
OBIO,
This post reminds me not to take anything for granted......What I see on a regular basis is a rarety for others....

Odie
October 24th, 2010, 15:19
OBIO,
This post reminds me not to take anything for granted......What I see on a regular basis is a rarety for others....

Amen, Panther! Rarely, I mean, rarely do I see a military a/c up here near the Wisconsin border. Having spent the first 15 years of my life about 4 miles from Barksdale's flightline, it's really a desert out here! When we go to Oceana, I'm constantly looking skyward and seeing F/A-18s overhead (dang bugs!), but it's really GREAT to see! It makes VA Beach an attractive place to retire when that time comes.

I love Jet Noise....:mixedsmi:

Daveroo
October 24th, 2010, 15:24
i get to see them (C17s) at airshows and man i just love them..tight turn radioous..back up on the runway and at the chico airshow this year the C17 that was on display started engines and then backed up and made a backing left turn of about 160 degrees and then rolled out to the taxiway...was very cool ..and i didnt even think of using my video on my camera until it was over......idiot

Bone
October 24th, 2010, 15:41
They are pretty big.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/Flying%20Pictures/CharlestonAFB086.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/Flying%20Pictures/CharlestonAFB097.jpg

Panther_99FS
October 24th, 2010, 15:46
Bone,
You show off!!!!! :bump:

Bone
October 24th, 2010, 16:49
Bone,
You show off!!!!! :bump:

Hehe. You put up pics of muscle clad women, I put up pics of aluminum clad airplanes. :salute:

traindriver98
October 24th, 2010, 21:41
Boon, what are you driving. I was a frieghter in the Air Force for 10 years and never saw a C-17. Heard about them, talked about them with the advisery team, but never saw one on the ground.

Bone
October 25th, 2010, 07:30
Boon, what are you driving.

It's a plane. Remember that line from Top Gun when Goose is standing in front of the trophy wall and he says to Iceman and Slider "hey guys, there's two 'o's in Goose."....well, I only have one. :)

HouseHobbit
October 25th, 2010, 10:57
Living Next to Wright Patterson AB, I get to see these everyday, (C-17) and many other cool birds F-22.. And many of the newest Birds here for testing.. It is GREAT to watch..:jump:

traindriver98
October 25th, 2010, 13:33
It's a plane. Remember that line from Top Gun when Goose is standing in front of the trophy wall and he says to Iceman and Slider "hey guys, there's two 'o's in Goose."....well, I only have one. :)

Sorry about that. What kind of "plane"?