PDA

View Full Version : FlightGear Forum?

mmann
October 24th, 2010, 05:53
I was wanting to see what the SOH crowd had to say about FlightGear, but I didn't see a Forum for it. Is it that bad?

Regards, Mike Mann

Bjoern
October 24th, 2010, 06:31
It's a bit hard to find on their homepage.

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/

The sim is looking better and better. With a better UI for Windows users, real world weather, ATC and better AI traffic implementation, you could consider me a convert.

And for the fighter jocks: IIRC, aerial refueling and combat ops are possible to a degree in FG.

mmann
October 24th, 2010, 06:39
Actually I was looking for a FlightGear Forum here at SOH. Sometimes I find Supplier Forum's a little too biased.

Many thanks for your take on FlightGear Bjoern. That is the type of feedback I am looking for.

Regards, Mike Mann

falcon409
October 24th, 2010, 06:57
This is the first time I've heard of FlightGear, so I took a look at the website and the "Gallery" page. Am I correct in assuming this is a free flightsim download? If so, then I would suggest that first time fliers, who aren't sure if they want to spend the money for FSX or even FS9 download this one. Even though FG has the appearance of earlier sims (FS98/FS2002) it would let novices get their feet wet on a sim to see if they really want to go any farther with it.

The modeling is pretty flat, but there seems to be an excellent variation in types of aircraft and while the landscape is pretty simple it's better than what was available in the early sims. I'm not sure what they plan to do as far as upgrades so maybe it will get better as it progresses, but for a free offering. . .what can you lose?:salute:

mmann
October 24th, 2010, 07:10
I was looking at the FlightGear Newsletter for September 2010 where they show their new Local Weather package. The clouds might not be quite as good as REX but they absolutely blow away what stock FSX provides (strictly my opinion).

Regards, Mike Mann

Bjoern
October 24th, 2010, 07:38
That is the type of feedback I am looking for.

No problem!

Another cool feature of FG is a centralaized scenery server. So whenever someone updates or adds scenery on the globe, you'll automatically have it in your sim. Isn't that awesome? :d

This is the first time I've heard of FlightGear, so I took a look at the website and the "Gallery" page. Am I correct in assuming this is a free flightsim download? If so, then I would suggest that first time fliers, who aren't sure if they want to spend the money for FSX or even FS9 download this one. Even though FG has the appearance of earlier sims (FS98/FS2002) it would let novices get their feet wet on a sim to see if they really want to go any farther with it.

NO! NONONONONO! NO!

Really, rather spend a few bucks for FS9 than try to wipe the green behind your ears off in FlightGear!

With a distinct lack of any basic tutorials about sim flight, a user friendly UI and the necessity for a huge amount of config file editing for getting your flightstick to work properly, FlightGear is clearly NOT aimed at beginners!

I'm not sure what they plan to do as far as upgrades so maybe it will get better as it progresses, but for a free offering. . .what can you lose?:salute:

Give it time, it'll get there.

I was looking at the FlightGear Newsletter for September 2010 where they show their new Local Weather package.

Have you seen the pics of the new water shader? Awesome work, I say. :d

Stratobat
October 24th, 2010, 11:16
Hi Guys,

I haven't tried FlightGear yet but it's something I'm interested in having a look at :)

Perhaps it may even foster some development from the community?

Regards,
Stratobat

falcon409
October 24th, 2010, 11:37
. . . . . .NO! NONONONONO! NO!
. . . . . .With a distinct lack of any basic tutorials about sim flight, a user friendly UI and the necessity for a huge amount of config file editing for getting your flightstick to work properly, FlightGear is clearly NOT aimed at beginners!
Did I mention I'd never heard of it before this post? After looking at the screens it seemed very basic in it's approach. nothing with any real texture or shading, poor autogen, pretty flat overall. . .it has the appearance of a beginners type flight sim. . .obviously not. I stand corrected.

mmann
October 24th, 2010, 12:02
I think that FlightGear is more concerned with authentic flying characteristics as opposed to providing a realistic visual experience. A flight simulator as opposed to a flight game.

Regards, Mike Mann

txnetcop
October 24th, 2010, 12:52
I'm afraid the aircraft don't fly that authentically in Flight Gear but it is nice effort.

mmann
October 24th, 2010, 13:09
I'm afraid the aircraft don't fly that authentically in Flight Gear but it is nice effort.

How did you find FlightGear in other respects?

Regards, Mike Mann

Bjoern
October 24th, 2010, 13:11
I haven't tried FlightGear yet but it's something I'm interested in having a look at :)

Perhaps it may even foster some development from the community?

Did I mention I'd never heard of it before this post? After looking at the screens it seemed very basic in it's approach. nothing with any real texture or shading, poor autogen, pretty flat overall. . .it has the appearance of a beginners type flight sim. . .obviously not. I stand corrected.

I think that FlightGear is more concerned with authentic flying characteristics as opposed to providing a realistic visual experience. A flight simulator as opposed to a flight game.

You guys do seem to forget that FlightGear is entirely community driven and that community is just a fraction of the size of MSFS's. So development *is* a tad slow, but as I've said, it's getting there.

The problem is, that developing for FG is an entirely different thing than developing for MSFS, which makes getting stuff from here to there a tad difficult.

Should neither Aerosoft nor Microsoft deliver a sim suitable to my taste, I'll give FlightGear a serious try.

txnetcop
October 24th, 2010, 13:17
How did you find FlightGear in other respects?

Regards, Mike Mann

I think it has a ton of potential! I love the fact that it is open source!

mmann
October 24th, 2010, 13:28
I think it has a ton of potential! I love the fact that it is open source!

The open source part was thing that got me interested in FlightGear in the first place! I use and love OpenOffice which does all I need and require in an office suite. I just wanted to see what people here (non Microsoft affiliated FSX site) thought of FlightGear in general.

Regards, Mike Mann