PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ordering Orbx Lancair?

ryanbatc
October 21st, 2010, 12:25
Did anyone preorder the upcoming Lancair from orbx? If so how long do you normally wait for the preordered product to arrive?

I'm thinking about buying it - looks very well done and fast too ;)

http://fullterrain.com/product_lancair.html

Kiwikat
October 21st, 2010, 12:33
I preordered it when I bought the IRIS A-10.

According to John, it should be released tomorrow or saturday our time. :jump:

pilottj
October 21st, 2010, 12:58
looks like a beautiful bird. its funny, I always thought Lancair was a bit prickly about having their aircraft done in FS. Looking foward to it :jump:

Alan_A
October 21st, 2010, 13:06
IIRC their policy is that they'll only open preorders when the product is four weeks out or less. But as Kiwikat notes, this one seems to be a lot closer in.

ryanbatc
October 21st, 2010, 13:23
I preordered it when I bought the IRIS A-10.

According to John, it should be released tomorrow or saturday our time. :jump:

To sound like a teenage girl:
ZOMG!!!

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 14:04
I wonder how many millions of polygons were used!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:

The curves in the cabin frame for example, are soooo smooth!

warchild
October 21st, 2010, 14:42
what was the machine configuration for the computer that made the video??? And which scenery was that??

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 14:58
The Cray Super Computer. I believe the scenery is Orbx PNW though I could be wrong.........

mmann
October 21st, 2010, 15:06
A lot of the Orbx video stuff is done by John Venema. His Computer specs are listed as follows:

i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz (Air Cooled) | EX58-EXTREME Mobo | 12GB DDR3@1600 | Galaxy 480GTX 1536MB | 2x 150GB WD Velociraptors in RAID-0 + 2x 1TB Samsung 7200's in RAID-1 on Adaptec_1430SA | Samsung 305T 30" LCD @ 2560x1600 | Thermaltake Spedo Case | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | Windows7 64-bit | nVidia Driver 257.21

Regards, Mike Mann

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 15:14
Holy C***! 12 gigs of ram! 1.5 Gig graphics card! 4.2 Ghz!

falcon409
October 21st, 2010, 15:19
Holy C***! 12 gigs of ram! 1.5 Gig graphics card! 4.2 Ghz!
Yea, no wonder my system and most others don't run PNW as it was "meant" to be run, lol. . .geeez, that's hardly a typical system. It's the way systems are going now though. . .keep up or be left behind basically.:salute:

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 16:49
Falcon, do you have PNW? If you do, what is your system and how does it run complex aircraft like the AS bush hawk in PNW?

Holger Sandmann
October 21st, 2010, 17:16
Hi guys,

if you're talking about the video on the Lancair product page that was made by Patrick and he's got a less powerful rig than John:

AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition @ 3,3GHz / Ati Radeon HD 4870 1 GB DDR 5 / Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 / 4 GB DDR2 800MHz / Windows 7 x64 Home Premium / TrackIR 5

source: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=27265.0

The scenery is a Beta of the upcoming Pacific Fjords package.

Cheers, Holger

CG_1976
October 21st, 2010, 17:39
A beta tester with a AMD Cough Cough, there is a rare one today. My hats off to this tester and very much respect. It's about darn time a company bring in a AMD tester. This lancer is on my purchase list as my specs are right with his and I have no Fps issue with FTX Products so far, just them unrealistic tree's.

falcon409
October 21st, 2010, 18:27
Falcon, do you have PNW? If you do, what is your system and how does it run complex aircraft like the AS bush hawk in PNW?
My System:
Dual Core, 3.0Ghz,
8Gig Ram
NVidia 9600GT/512Ram
Yes I do have PNW and have had to dumb it down to run. By that I mean I have had to drop the autogen setting to about half what it normally would be. I don't own the Bush Hawk, but other FSX aircraft fly relatively well. I stay away from glass cockpits in this area because they also cause a hit to the fps. I mainly stick to analog gauges anyway as I like them more than the newer glass.:salute:

mmann
October 21st, 2010, 18:36
My System:
Dual Core, 2.6Ghz,
2 Gig Ram
NVidia 9600GT/512Ram

I also run PNW with greatly reduced autogen, but didn't feel like torturing myself by trying to run my Bush Hawk XP in this environment!!!

Regards, Mike Mann

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 18:39
Thanks Falcon; in your opinion, do you think i'll be able to to run the bush hawk (frames eater, I get about 40 FPS with bush hawk, 90 with out) with PNW? My system is:

4GB DDR2 RAM, 2.5 GHz Dual core, 512mb Nvdia 9600GT, 1TB hard drive

I think that the PNW area is perfect for a bush aircraft - the bush hawk and so that is why I would consider getting PNW

ryanbatc
October 21st, 2010, 19:18
My System:
Dual Core, 3.0Ghz,
8Gig Ram
NVidia 9600GT/512Ram
Yes I do have PNW and have had to dumb it down to run.

Your system is essentially what I run minus the 4GB of ram.

PNW gives me issues hehe. I've noticed the majority of the PNW users have no problems but they all run super high end rigs (i7/Q97xx OCed to 4Ghz+)

I get nasty blurries and stutters with PNW but I still enjoy flying it, as long as I stay away from resource hungry planes like Citation Mustang or C750 etc. Heck even the Duke eats my fps a bit.

falcon409
October 21st, 2010, 19:47
Thanks Falcon; in your opinion, do you think i'll be able to to run the bush hawk (frames eater, I get about 40 FPS with bush hawk, 90 with out) with PNW? My system is:

4GB DDR2 RAM, 2.5 GHz Dual core, 512mb Nvdia 9600GT, 1TB hard drive

I think that the PNW area is perfect for a bush aircraft - the bush hawk and so that is why I would consider getting PNW
Heck, I'd just like to know how you get 90fps normally since I'm running basically the same rig with a slightly faster CPU speed. The best I can do is about 30 and that's in the desert with no autogen. My average is around 19 to 20, less in PNW but still flyable.
If the Bush Hawk knocks your fps from 90 to 40, then don't expect a whole lot by adding PNW. Depending on how you set the autogen, you could end up around the same as me.

mmann
October 21st, 2010, 19:53
Heck, I'd just like to know how you get 90fps normally since I'm running basically the same rig with a slightly faster CPU speed. The best I can do is about 30 and that's in the desert with no autogen. My average is around 19 to 20, less in PNW but still flyable.
If the Bush Hawk knocks your fps from 90 to 40, then don't expect a whole lot by adding PNW. Depending on how you set the autogen, you could end up around the same as me.

You took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard?)!!

Regards, Mike Mann

James
October 21st, 2010, 19:53
[QUOTE=falcon409;497506]Heck, I'd just like to know how you get 90fps normally since I'm running basically the same rig with a slightly faster CPU speed. The best I can do is about 30 and that's in the desert with no autogen. My average is around 19 to 20, less in PNW but still flyable. [QUOTE]

AMEN!!

lol....time to upgrade....but you've got ten more than me...:(

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 20:45
I dunno how - I have seen 90 FPS on the clock around cities using well optimized aircraft (FR CAC Booma is a good example) but the bush hawk around cities drops things to 40 FPS - I have everything turned down on low however (Though not too low), and run a game booster and defrag regularly. Though I do get stutters with a/c like the FR Booma in advanced sceneries like Marks 1943 solomon Is.

BTW - If I was to upgrade, should I first buy a good 1024 MB Graphics card (Nvidia) or a good 3.0 - 3.5 GHz CPU (Intel). I could only afford one at a time, so what in your opinions would be best option to go for first?

SADT
October 21st, 2010, 20:48
The best I can do is about 30 and that's in the desert with no autogen. My average is around 19 to 20, less in PNW but still flyable.

How on earth you get such low frames I am not sure - dont use light bloom but I do use advanced animations and special fx. My water is also High 1x.

spotlope
October 21st, 2010, 21:24
I got to test the Lancair - I've been flying it for a couple of weeks now - and this thing is a real hoot. It's sleek, the model is extremely well done, and Jared even managed to get some character into the modeling and texturing of the interior. That's not easy, 'cause like a lot of modern composite-built planes, the IV-P is all smooth curves with very few twiddly bits sticking out. Best of all though, it's a real rocket. You've got to be careful with it, and the wing design makes it a challenge to fly, but man you can really haul some butt in it. I'm normally a low-and-slow kinda guy, but it took a couple of days for the grin to wear off my face after my first full Lancair flight.

I don't get a penny from this little baby, so I can say without bias: it's one of the best of this type I've ever seen. Pre-pay with all speed. :jump:

Oh yeah, since this thread has taken on a frame-rate bias, my system is no beast, and I was very happy with the Lancair FPS. It's definitely lighter than, for example, the Carenado C208. (Not that the 208 is a poor performer, of course...)

Kiwikat
October 21st, 2010, 23:36
SHHHHH quit teasing us Bill! :173go1:

koorby
October 22nd, 2010, 02:09
Hello all,

I'm doing the RTM compile now, so once we get the ok from the testing team on this build we'll release to pre-paid customers. So that's Sat 23rd.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2010, 04:11
. . . . .BTW - If I was to upgrade, should I first buy a good 1024 MB Graphics card (Nvidia) or a good 3.0 - 3.5 GHz CPU (Intel). I could only afford one at a time, so what in your opinions would be best option to go for first?
Just my opinion, but of the two, I would go for the fastest CPU your Motherboard can handle first and then the Video Card.

txnetcop
October 22nd, 2010, 04:53
Your system is essentially what I run minus the 4GB of ram.

PNW gives me issues hehe. I've noticed the majority of the PNW users have no problems but they all run super high end rigs (i7/Q97xx OCed to 4Ghz+)

I get nasty blurries and stutters with PNW but I still enjoy flying it, as long as I stay away from resource hungry planes like Citation Mustang or C750 etc. Heck even the Duke eats my fps a bit.

If your PSU has the horsepower change out that 128 bit 9600GT for a GTX460 and you won't have any more issues in PNW if you keep your settings reasonable. That is not a guess it's a fact.

skyhawka4m
October 22nd, 2010, 07:28
I get a constant 30-33 FPS in PNW and I have nothing special here....the below plus an ATI Radeon 5500 series card. My settings are not bottomed out either.

ryanbatc
October 22nd, 2010, 07:59
How on earth you get such low frames I am not sure - dont use light bloom but I do use advanced animations and special fx. My water is also High 1x.

Ditto... maybe he has a lot of settings turned way down.

I enjoy my texture res up high and autogen at least set to normal. usually AI traffic is on excluding vehicles... around 50% for air traffic. Water 2x low, with nhancer powering AA and AF

Lewis-A2A
October 22nd, 2010, 08:04
ill go with ted on recommending 460, its a bloody good card that is not a lower spec 470-80 reverse engineered to make it slower but rather a whole new chip and able to match the 470-80, so its true budget goodness in the 1GB-2GB variants

ryanbatc
October 22nd, 2010, 08:04
Oh yeah, since this thread has taken on a frame-rate bias, my system is no beast, and I was very happy with the Lancair FPS. It's definitely lighter than, for example, the Carenado C208. (Not that the 208 is a poor performer, of course...)

I know fps aren't really important to the guys running i7's but on my humble system they are important. Can you compare it to default c172 vc? I don't have the Carenado caravan but I do have their F33 Bonanza... I lose about 25% performance vs default C172.

mmann
October 22nd, 2010, 08:13
I know fps aren't really important to the guys running i7's but on my humble system they are important. Can you compare it to default c172 vc? I don't have the Carenado caravan but I do have their F33 Bonanza... I lose about 25% performance vs default C172.

I agree! The default Cessna 172 is the best aircraft to base any comparisons; everyone has it, and it is very frame rate friendly.

Regards, Mike Mann

SADT
October 22nd, 2010, 13:13
Ryanbatc; I run my global texture res on max, and autogen is reasonably high. No AI.

Kiwikat
October 22nd, 2010, 13:16
Looks like this is the last chance to preorder. Release is s**n. :jump::jump::jump:

ryanbatc
October 22nd, 2010, 16:40
Looks like this is the last chance to preorder. Release is s**n. :jump::jump::jump:

I thought about it but then worried about my fps...

So I'll just wait for your report :wiggle:

err edit: I finally saw that preorder thread at their forums and they said the FPS were identical to default C172 VC - that's good for me.