PDA

View Full Version : The AMS mod ...

rohan
October 20th, 2010, 22:49
As a new recruit, I downloaded what I thought was the AMS mod from
http://apricotmappingservice.com/X3TCdownloads/

What I actually downloaded was the file "X3TC-Apricot-AMS-Mod-v2.14.zip" and the adjacent fix file, but the readme wasn't very informative and left me a little confused. Is this all there is to the "AMS mod" ? Or, do I need some other files before I have all of it ?

thanks in advance,
Ro

GT182
October 21st, 2010, 05:19
That will get you started.... that is the mod it's self. Open the zip file and extract the 6 folders to your main X3TC folder in the Egosoft folder in your Program Files. It will be installed.

When you start X3TC you will see the Select Mod Package is no longer grayed out. Open it and click on AMS 2.14 and click OK. Then start TC and click New Game... AMS mod will show and click that to start it. Get the Plugin Manager installed. The you can add other scripts to improve the mod. Download "scripts" for what you want to add. Once you have the manager set to find TC all you have to do is click on the script top be added and the manager will install and enable it.

I suggest you get Free Jump and Combat Mod 3 - Full v1.03 to start. There are some in posts already made you might find usefull. Mike and Bill can suggest more scripts too. I will be gone for a week or so from tomorrow morning on. On my way to El Paso, TX...... finally. But I'll check in here throughout the day today to see how you make out.

rohan
October 21st, 2010, 06:43
Great, Gary, thanks very much for that - will grab those other files when I'm back on my regular machine tomorrow. Have a safe journey,
Ro

GT182
October 21st, 2010, 12:29
I hope you get it in ok. Bill or Mike will help out too if you need them.

Thanks, I've been looking foreward to this trip for a couple of weeks now. It'll be good to get away but I'll miss my computer and X3TC/AMS. Oh well, I'll have all winter for that. LOL

Will see you all when I get back...... yeah the camera is packed.

rohan
October 22nd, 2010, 08:03
At first, I couldn't find Free Jump, but then I suddenly found Cmod3 and it all started to fall into place. Didn't take much longer to grab Free Jump, Cmod2, Cmod4 and SRM as well while I was at it. I also found the Extra Ships & Stations mod - wowee.

Two things still confuse me though. One is the difference between Plugin Manager and Plugin Manager Lite, especially when the Lite version seems to be a bigger download file !

The other thing is that I found two versions of most mods, one being a Zip (or equivalent filetype) archive and the other being an SPK file or a script file. At first, I assumed that these were simply two different ways of packaging the mod, but then I saw a comment about using one filetype to install the mod in certain circumstances, and the alternative if other circumstances apply. Sadly, I don't know enough about the game to understand why that comment might matter. For example, for starters, is there a difference between a script and an SPK package ? Please can someone enlighten me ? Does it matter which version of a mod I get (as in archive, SPK, script) when there is a choice available ?

Thanks again in advance,
Ro

GT182
October 26th, 2010, 19:38
SPK package is what you want..... Plugin Manager will install it when you click on what you downlaoded. The zipfile is what you'd use for a "false patch". Doable but the SPK is much easier.

More once I get back home... I'm still in El Paso, TX loading TU-2 parts. Should be outta here Wednesday around noon Mtn Time.

rohan
October 27th, 2010, 05:54
Gary,
appreciate you stopping by while you're in El Paso. Catch you when you're back home ...
Ro

gigabyte
October 27th, 2010, 20:48
Rohan, Plugin Mgr Lite is newer and eiser to use go with that. Gary is right about the mod/script format if you use a Plugin Mgr they are easier than using the false patch method.

I am just home from a road trip but I will send some suggestions later as soon as I get otganized, welcome to the X Universe :)

GT182
October 31st, 2010, 15:14
I'm back home too. But... I is going to get some much needed rest. Over 4,000 miles under my butt and 4 days of loading TU-2 parts has left me a wee bit pooped. LOL

Rohan, I hope all went well getting the Plugin Lite Mgr to work. It can be tricky, but well worth it once you find how to connect with TC. Just look thru the blue bar at the top and you will see how. BTW... Cmod3 for TC will install as a Fake Patch, but can be disabled with the mgr if you decide you don't want to use it. This Lite mgr version is the best installer of them all so far.

rohan
October 31st, 2010, 21:11
Gary,
after all that effort, I hope the trip proves to be as profitable as you expected.

In theory, my copy of X3 Gold should arrive by the weekend, but I seem to be staggering from problems with one supplier to even more problems with another ...
regs,
Ro