PDA

View Full Version : DC2 "Uiver" owned by Aviodome Holland takes to the sky after major maintenance

robcap
October 20th, 2010, 08:03
Hi all,

Yesterday, the Douglas DC2 "Uiver", owned by the Aviodrome museum, flew again, after 1 year of restauration.
They stripped all control surfaces, and put new canvas on them, or the modern equivalent, for that matter ;-)
Also a lot of parts were checked, new electrical wiring/installation and revised drawings, and the tail was completely removed, all corrosion restored/parts replaced, and re-riveted again.

Anyway, I was there yesterday, and had a nice chat with the pilots, amongst others.
They again comented on the nice work we do with the DC2, and the captain remarked that he particularly liked the crossswind video, made by Mark Hurst.

I thought I'd share that with you all.

The plane flew like never before, no vibration in the controls, etc. It flew like our simulation, they said, hahah!

U2gEgd2MMo8

Here's Marks vid
bN-YhiNdchs

Nevertheless, you can imagine your help is still needed, so if you want to contribute, click on the banner below, and get your own DC2 :salute:

robcap
October 20th, 2010, 08:06
few pics (click for big)
21718 21719 21720

stiz
October 20th, 2010, 08:29
nice n shiney! looks like you had good weather for it as well :applause: :applause:

pbearsailor
October 20th, 2010, 09:32
Now that is a real airplane! But yours is pretty close, Rob. :jump:

cheers,
steve :wavey:

SADT
October 20th, 2010, 12:49
The DC-2 has always had a unique place in my heart - perhaps that is because the DC-2 was never as famous as the DC-3 - Also because the DC-2 made many many amazing feats - such as flying with rice paper covering holes in fuselage!

Paul K
October 21st, 2010, 12:23
Magnificent ! When is Uiver coming over to Flying Legends at Duxford ?

roger-wilco-66
October 21st, 2010, 22:23
Good news, congratulations to the museum and the crew!
Nice video, also.

Cheers,
Mark

Ferry_vO
October 22nd, 2010, 06:56
Nice video, good to see her back in the air!

BTW For those interested in how Robcap looks like: Pause the video at 3:36; he's the guy on the left. ;)

robcap
October 22nd, 2010, 10:01
BTW For those interested in how Robcap looks likeWho would want to know what I look like??:sleep:
Anyway, I'm sure next season they will be all over Europe visiting airshows, so maybe also Flying ledgends.

Cheers, Rob

huub vink
October 23rd, 2010, 02:07
Nice videos Rob, thanks for posting.

Huub

Roger
October 23rd, 2010, 02:29
Great stuff!
Just had to recreate it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/dc2lely-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/dc2lely-2.jpg

VinFlyer
October 23rd, 2010, 03:39
Great news, she looks beautiful again. Hope to see her at airshows next year :-)

X_eidos2
October 23rd, 2010, 05:06
I'm not sure why, but the part of the video that I enjoyed most was seeing the tractor driver's hat get blown off during the engine start. One of the earliest stories that I read about DC-3 operations was that ground crew quickly learned that you don't wear a white shirt and stand behind the plane while it was starting it's engines because it'll soon be splattered with oil if you do. With all of the oil smoke that billowed out during the DC-2's start in the video, it's easy to see how this would still be true.

robcap
October 23rd, 2010, 12:02
Thanks guys,

Great recration, Roger!
Oh, and the guy with the blown-off cap is the Wright Engine Guru, an old KLM machanic, he knows his stuff!

Best, Rob

Ferry_vO
October 23rd, 2010, 15:30
Who would want to know what I look like??:sleep:

Maybe people would like to see the man behind the recreation of a legend. ;)

Thanks to Rob and the Aviodrome crew the DC-2 has a special place in my heart now and it is great to see her back in the air, but it's also good to see she's still alive in the sim community.

Your purchase helps to keep her flying! :ernae:

Javis
October 23rd, 2010, 19:23
Who would want to know what I look like??:sleep:

Yeah, and besides, we already know what you look like from the mugshot in your avatar,don't we. :costum:

Wonderful video, Rob, thanks for sharing ! Particularly nice to hear her voice again !

Really hate that the Aviodome was moved to Lelystad. When it was still situated at Schiphol and the DC-2 would be taken on a testflight i could almost be certain that i could marvel at the sight and sound of her from my backyard... Now it's only noisy air suckers on their way to 19R or the Polderbaan.... Haven't seen or heard the DDA's 3 neither for quite some....

You simply HAVE to return sometime with some recording equippement, Rob... It's possibly like if YOU don't do it nobody will....

( FYI, gents, this guy drove 500 Km just to see the DC-2 take-off and land again.... How's that for dedication ! )

Maybe people would like to see the man behind the recreation of a legend.

Good thinking, Ferry ! This guy is WAY too modest !

cheers,
jan

Ferry_vO
October 24th, 2010, 04:49
Haven't seen or heard the DDA's 3 neither for quite some....

That's because those moved to Lelystad too, after the merger with the Aviodrome.

huub vink
October 24th, 2010, 05:07
Left Jan Kees and on the right Rob. And the aircraft is the Catelina which flies from Lelystad.

Cheers,
Huub

doublecool
October 24th, 2010, 11:55
What a Fine looking restoration :applause::ernae: Well Done