PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy Corel Paintshop Pro X3?

OleBoy
October 19th, 2010, 21:11
While visiting a friend of mine today whom I haven't seen in quite a while, Harry was telling me that he bought Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 (he picked up the box and said , see) Then he told me that he bought two copies because the first one he bought he misplaced and could not find it. When he said he couldn't find it I was not surprised. His computer room is a total disaster area. It looked like a computer shop work area that had been ransacked.
....Anyway, my friend Harry told me that he would give me a good price if I wanted to have a copy. His daughter works for Frys Electronics in California and gets him all sorts of goodies at cost.

He said he'd give me his other copy of Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 for $75. That sounds like a heck of a good deal. I honestly don't know if I want to buy it because I'm use to Adobe Photoshop. It's very tempting though.

edit- After checking I don't think this is what I want for doing repaints. $75 is normal retail

gdavej
October 20th, 2010, 03:54
I have Corel Paintshop Photo Pro. Two points I want to make about it.

First, I bought the software online back in July, and that cost about $55, though that was part of a time-limited offer, so $75 "second-hand" is not a good deal.

Secondly, there's a bug with the software that I reported to Corel months ago, and they haven't done anything about it. If you paste an image into another image, this software deletes the bottom 2 pixels of the image being pasted. It's a simple bug that I'm sure could be fixed in minutes, but it seems to be taxing Corel's bunch of developers. I've actually gone back to using an earlier version of this software JASC Paintshop Pro 9, which was produced before Corel got their hands on the software.

So stay well clear of this piece of garbage.

OleBoy
October 20th, 2010, 04:15
Thanks for the response
.....I think I will stay clear of it. I was thinking it was Corel Paint when I had originally posted in reference. A bit more reading on the manufacturer website has also steered me away from it.

PutPut
October 20th, 2010, 06:56
I have used PSP since v5. When it was a Jasc product there was a new painting tool or two with every new release. Corel has made it into a photo editor and there has not been anything new of interest to flight sim painters since v9.

Best, Paul

Stratobat
October 20th, 2010, 13:15
Hey OleBoy,

If you have Photoshop, rather stick with it.

Regards,
Stratobat

huub vink
October 20th, 2010, 13:30
Well I always used PSP7, but decided to buy something more recent from Photoshop, hoping it had a few more possibilities. After a few months full of frustrations I'm still using my old PSP7 as I canīt learn how to manage the same things in Photoshop CS3.....

The message from this post; when you are using something and you are satisfied with it, just stick to it!

A frustrated Huub

OleBoy
October 20th, 2010, 15:09
I can relate to what everyone is saying.
.....Why put yourself through a whole mess of frustration, to learn how to walk around the block the other direction, to get to the same place you were when you started, when the path was already clear.

I could see myself getting so frustrated that I quit doing repaints

Stratobat
October 20th, 2010, 18:25
Hey OleBoy,

I was just thinking... As far as repainting aircraft for FS goes you probably wouldn't see any gain but if you're into digital photography, you could always purchase the program for the plugins and filters - That way you can have the best of both worlds.

Regards,
Stratobat

OleBoy
October 20th, 2010, 18:30
Hi SB,

I considered that too. It is an excellent program for digital photography

paulb
October 21st, 2010, 10:17
I bought PSP 7 and then bought PSP 8 - although I still use PSP 7 most of the time! :confused: