PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Repaint

gera
October 19th, 2010, 06:09
What program(s) do you consider the best for repaints???

Thanks

mmann
October 19th, 2010, 06:27
Hi Gera:

Larry (Tako_Kichi here at SOH) got me set up on a winning combination; Photoshop and FS Repaint. Using these two programs with DXTBmp works really good!

Regards, Mike Mann

jankees
October 19th, 2010, 06:29
The program that YOU know best.
Can be Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Gimp, Illustrator anything as long as it supports layers (and can read psd files). I used Illustrator in the past, and Photoshop CS3 at present.
You'll also need DXTbmp (freeware).
I never got FS repaint to work for some reason...

mmann
October 19th, 2010, 07:27
I never got FS repaint to work for some reason...

I use FS Repaint ONLY for quickly viewing my repaint; it loads way faster than FSX.

Regards, Mike Mann

Kiwikat
October 19th, 2010, 07:41
Photoshop for sure!

James
October 19th, 2010, 07:46
I use FS repaint to view the 3D model and Photoshop CS2 for the actual painting. You really can't go wrong there.

jankees
October 19th, 2010, 08:10
I use FS Repaint ONLY for quickly viewing my repaint; it loads way faster than FSX.

Regards, Mike Mann

I know, and I'd like to try that, but somehow it didn't work, so I gave up.

mmann
October 19th, 2010, 08:18
I know, and I'd like to try that, but somehow it didn't work, so I gave up.

Did you try with their latest version? I know I had problems with an earlier version (couldn't load up a helicopter repaint), but the latest version fixed that.

Regards, Mike Mann

skyhawka4m
October 19th, 2010, 08:48
CS3 with the Nvidia plugin.....DXTbmp is not needed......I love it.

mmann
October 19th, 2010, 09:09
CS3 with the Nvidia plugin.....DXTbmp is not needed......I love it.

Funny how some tools work for certain people but not for others. Me, I have no problems with FS Repaint but had no end of problems with the NVIDIA Plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop!!

So DXTBmp is what works best for me.

Regards, Mike Mann

gera
October 19th, 2010, 11:51
Thanks everyone......:ernae:

JoeW
October 19th, 2010, 13:22
I use an old copy of Photoshop 6.0 that I got from a friend for $50 about 4 years ago. I have the Plugins for the enhancements but don't use them. I save in native Photoshop format, psd ..... layers and all and then open in Aces ImageTool and convert to DXT5 and the save as dds. Works very well and the textures load fast. If you want to reload the texture for some mods .... you got all the layers.
In my opinion this is the best way ....... tried them all so I know.

Bjoern
October 19th, 2010, 13:41
GIMP
MDLView or ModelConverterX
ImageTool

All for free.

I'll try to get into InkScape for repaints and textures one day. Vector graphics are fairly nice!