PDA

View Full Version : IPhone goes to space...

Bjoern
October 18th, 2010, 12:25
y6ZMscMp8UM

In short: Father and son attach IPhone to a weather baloon which then climbs to more than 100000 ft and parachutes down again.

Lionheart
October 18th, 2010, 13:50
Now that is narly!

Goodness. We spend millions and billions on getting things to space, and a man and his kid send a package into space in 70 min's with a balloon....

Go figure....

Bill

AckAck
October 18th, 2010, 19:21
Nah, that's only 19 miles - space is 62 miles or so... :d

As an aside, last year a friend of mine send up a balloon with a data package and camera on it, which went up and came most of the way back down before the camera separated from the package and the parachute. The camera was set up to take pictures ever 5 seconds or so. They found the data pack, but not the camera, which had no markings or identification on it at all. Two weeks later, they get a call from a farmer about 5 miles from where the data pack was, asking if they had lost a camera. He had found a camera in his field while baling and looked at the pictures. One of the pics it snapped at launch was of my friend's name tag, so he tracked him back to the university to return the camera and its photos.

I'm trying to calculate the odds of the camera separating and surviving the fall without a parachute far enough to separate itself from the package by 5 miles, still be functional, be able to be found by a farmer in the middle of a field while baling hay, and having a picture of my friend's name tag on it legible enough to trace back to him, and having the guy who found it actually do that.

Brian

Lionheart
October 19th, 2010, 04:20
Thats pretty cool. Glad they got it back.

I still cant believe that it was at the edge of space in all those winds and still came down in the same state. I would think with Earths rotation and all, it would be 2 states away or more.

On the balloon ride to space, yes, youre right. I was thinking that if one had a solid propellant motor, from 90K feet, you are right there on the door step, lol...

I wonder how high the White Knight II goes before dropping the Virgin Galactic craft?

AckAck
October 19th, 2010, 10:25
The camera actually remained attached to the data pack during the descent until 10,000 feet or so, so that's why it was so "close", and not a pile of dust at the bottom of a smoking hole somewhere.

However, maybe I'm confused as to the "accepted" boundary of space. I thought rutans stuff was trying to get to 100 km (100,000m, 62 miles...) but in this thread and at least one other recently, two people have mentioned 100,000 feet. Anyone know?

My recollection was that White Knight gets it up to 40,000 feet or so.

Brian

Wing_Z
October 19th, 2010, 11:11
Yeah I was one of them...I meant 100,000 metres (62 miles).
Virgin Mothership Eve ;) takes it to 50,000ft before dropping it.

Bjoern
October 19th, 2010, 14:32
Goodness. We spend millions and billions on getting things to space, and a man and his kid send a package into space in 70 min's with a balloon....

A baloon ain't a rocket, an IPhone ain't a human and 100k ft ain't earth orbit. ;)

FlameOut
October 19th, 2010, 15:12
Fantastic,

What a memorable and lasting affect that will have on the children's view of their Dad! :salute: