PDA

View Full Version : A question about approaches.....

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2010, 07:08
Years ago, when I used to fly backseat in the jets at Patuxent River, I remember that ATC would be talking to the pilot during our approaches. They'd say he was "on glidepath" etc......

Is such instruction from ATC possible in FSX? I think it would really be interesting, if so.

Thanks in advance.

NC

VCN-1
October 18th, 2010, 07:15
There was a PAR addon for a previous release of flightsim but I don't know if it was ever upgraded.

VCN-1

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2010, 07:16
There was a PAR addon for a previous release of flightsim but I don't know if it was ever upgraded.

VCN-1

It would be just too cool if it would be!!!

NC

fsafranek
October 18th, 2010, 07:42
I think there might be something like that with Acceleration. The reason I say that is because something similar (in French) is shown in the carrier approach video included in the thread about the Etendard IVM.

Back in the old days (somewhere between FS5 and FS2K) we used to use such a system when making approached with old propliners. You might ask Tom Gibson at California Classic Propliners (http://www.calclassic.com) to see if something like that still exits. It was fun but the frequency of the messages from ATC got old real fact. Plus in FS9/FSX you would have to be able turn off that ATC message screen when on final as well.

And of course it would only work with an airport/air base with ILS.

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2010, 07:44
I think there might be something like that with Acceleration. The reason I say that is because something similar (in French) is shown in the carrier approach video included in the thread about the Etendard IVM.

Back in the old days (somewhere between FS5 and FS2K) we used to use such a system when making approached with old propliners. You might ask Tom Gibson at California Classic Propliners (http://www.calclassic.com) to see if something like that still exits. It was fun but the frequency of the messages from ATC got old real fact. Plus in FS9/FSX you would have to be able turn off that ATC message screen when on final as well.

And of course it would only work with an airport/air base with ILS.

Really would like to see if this is possible. I think it would add even more realism to what is already a fantastic sim.

JoeW
October 18th, 2010, 08:40
I make ILS approaches all the time in FSX. If you use the Flight Planner and choose the IFR choice then the tower will talk you in. It just might not make sense at the time but you will be vectored in to the proper runway. Just follow the instructions.

Reddog
October 18th, 2010, 08:57
Years ago, when I used to fly backseat in the jets at Patuxent River, I remember that ATC would be talking to the pilot during our approaches. They'd say he was "on glidepath" etc......

Is such instruction from ATC possible in FSX? I think it would really be interesting, if so.

Thanks in advance.

NC

NC that was called GCA(Ground Controlled Approach) used by the military before ILS came along, pretty much still used by the Navy on the carriers called CCA, the Marines still use it too.Most of my 17 years in Marine ATC was as a GCA controller.

sbp
October 18th, 2010, 09:37
Hi Chief,

Ground controlled approach (GCA) and precision approach radar (PAR) are what you where hearing during those approaches. The GCA/PAR are completly seperate from an ILS approach. When making a GCA/PAR the pilot is only guided by vectors from the GCA/PAR ground controller. The GCA controller vector's the aircraft so as to position the aircraft to a point at about 10 miles out and lined up with the extended runway centerline then handed off to the PAR controller for the precision part of the approach. The PAR scope shows both elevation and azimuth info. The PAR controller then vectors for azimuth corrections and advises the pilot of his elevation position in relation to the desired verticle glide slope. This information is provided to the pilot down to decision height (DH) at which time the pilot is instructed to take over visualy and land. Then it is up to the pilot to either land or execute a missed approach.

Hope this info is helpful.

SBP
MSgt, Retired, USAF/ATCer.

falcon409
October 18th, 2010, 09:46
It is possible, because Cloud9 had a plugin for a GCA Approach with Aviano AB. They had plans to make it a separate addon that could be used anywhere, but I don't think it ever happened. It would have been a great module to have.

Lateral-G
October 18th, 2010, 09:47
I make ILS approaches all the time in FSX. If you use the Flight Planner and choose the IFR choice then the tower will talk you in. It just might not make sense at the time but you will be vectored in to the proper runway. Just follow the instructions.

FSX "controllers" vector you to the ILS. They get you in the ballpark (usually about 10 mi out from the threshold). It's up to you to intercept the GS or acquire visual on the runway.

If you have your AP on and selected to the ILS then it will automatically capture.

I've never had FSX (or FS9) tell you that you were too high/too low, left/right of the GS. Those sort of calls are from GCA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-controlled_approach

falcon409
October 18th, 2010, 09:50
That's different from what the Chief is talking about Joe. He's looking for the ability to do GCA Approaches where the controller talks you in giving you constant updates on "On Path, On Glideslope" and would give you correction on left or right or high or low. Not the same as what limited ATC gives you in the sim. It was a mainstay on Military Bases at least up through the early 70's. I don't know how much it's used now, but back then it was used constantly.

Wings of Gold
October 18th, 2010, 11:03
The Navy continued to use GCA well after the Air Force started using ILS.

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2010, 12:19
Yep,

It's GCA I am referring to. Thanks all! Wouldn't that be a cool addon for FSX?

With all the unbelievably realistic addons available for FSX, I am surprised this hasn't been done yet!!!

It would be awesome!!

NC