PDA

View Full Version : I used to call myself a mechanic, but after this evening I'm not too sure anymore....

Willy
October 17th, 2010, 19:31
For the first time since I was a teenager, something mechanical has whipped my butt. A front wheel bearing on my 05 GMC Sierra pickup has went bad and I can't get the blasted thing off to replace it. This is one of those late model, permanently sealed, replace it when it goes bad combination bearing and hub assemblies. Both the brake rotor and the hub are stuck fast to the rest of the truck.

We've pulled all the bolts out (double checked with a repair manual), tried penetrating oil, hammers both rubber and big, heating it up with a torch, a large gear puller and anything else we can think of. I even considered putting the wheel back on and driving it around without the bolts in it. For now, I put the bolts back in and it looks like it's going to the shop and that kills my mechanical soul. (and my meager bank account and there goes what money I'd been saving for a new comp)

OBIO
October 17th, 2010, 20:40
Willy

Do you have a tractor and a strong chain? Just YANK the sucker off the truck. Of course that does risk bending or breaking other parts...but sure is satisfying knowing you got the part off that you wanted off.

OBIO

Willy
October 17th, 2010, 20:59
Don't give me crazy ideas... I do have access to several tractors and more than enough chain. :d

demorier
October 17th, 2010, 21:51
Of course you know what's coming up. Blow torch on the bearing. eerrrr.

Allen
October 17th, 2010, 22:12
Of course you know what's coming up. Blow torch on the bearing. eerrrr.

I know of this being done more than once...

Willy
October 17th, 2010, 22:30
Already tried the heating it up good with a torch. No go...

Allen
October 17th, 2010, 22:55
Already tried the heating it up good with a torch. No go...

It may be a "Cold fit bearing" IE the bearing is vary cold when put in and what it is put into is offen vary hot. When the temps even out you get a vary tight fit that is vary hard to take out....

demorier
October 18th, 2010, 00:43
Dynamite will probably work.

Allen
October 18th, 2010, 01:09
Dynamite will probably work.

I know who to call....

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/images/mythbusters.jpg
:icon_lol::jump::icon_lol::jump:

hey_moe
October 18th, 2010, 02:41
Willy I had that happen to me also. The bearning has seized onto the spindle. You can rental a spindle pulley and it will remove easy. I beat da chet out of mine and it wouldn't budge...lol. Finally I had a friend stop by and he told me about that spindle pulley. Works like a champ.

Crusader
October 18th, 2010, 04:52
Willy I had that happen to me also. The bearning has seized onto the spindle. You can rental a spindle pulley and it will remove easy. I beat da chet out of mine and it wouldn't budge...lol. Finally I had a friend stop by and he told me about that spindle pulley. Works like a champ.

Willy : I echo what hey-moe has said . My son-in-law and I (mostly him LOL) have used one of these and it worked . Those suckers are really on there , aren't they !

Rich

Willy
October 18th, 2010, 14:17
We got it off this morning. Seems we missed this little screw that holds the brake rotor to the hub. Rotor almost fell off when we took the screw out. Then some deft work with a pair of cold chisels, got the hub assembly loosened up enough where we could pry it out. $155 before taxes at NAPA for a new one. But it's all back together now and works fine.

hey_moe
October 18th, 2010, 14:40
I taught ya said ya read the manual before statring this project....LOL:ernae:

GT182
October 18th, 2010, 14:47

But that's not the manly way Mike. ;) Would John Wayne read the manual? I think not Pilgrim. LOL

I was going to tell Willy to get ahold of Panther for some C4. But seeing he's got it fixed it ruins that. I wanted to hear him say it was a "Big Bodda Boom", and pieces flew all over da place.

Allen
October 18th, 2010, 14:48
Some times you miss a small thing like that.

Willy
October 18th, 2010, 16:51
The Chilton's manual for the truck somehow neglects to mention that screw. lol

Allen
October 18th, 2010, 21:27
I seen that before too.

What month was it made? I know that the model year changes in September. So somtime you need to look at next year book to see things that were changed.

Willy
October 18th, 2010, 21:47
The truck is an 05, the manual for it covers 1999-2006. They changed the trucks again in 07. Other than not mentioning that screw, the manual had the disassembly/assembly down pat.

Allen
October 18th, 2010, 22:25
I gess you got "screw"ed. LoL