PDA

View Full Version : Ready on Arrival (1966) USS INDEPENDENCE

Z-AZ1USN
October 17th, 2010, 09:09
I thought some of you out there and especially those of you that are prior
NAVY, would like to view an excellent video of aircraft ops aboard the USS
Independence back in 1966. It's a bit of a nostalgic trip back in time. I can
almost smell the AVGAS and JP on the "Bat barge" as we called them. Turn on your
sound as you will hear a narration plus all the jet/prop sounds and the planes
launch/recover.
I think Navy Chief might enjoy this one. So, enjoy the sight and sounds of those
older Navy war birds from yesteryear. As a former member of the "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club"
I know I did!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xZXcnWTDhw&feature=player_embedded#!

robcap
October 17th, 2010, 10:05
Amazing stuff!

Prowler1111
October 17th, 2010, 10:10
That vid put me into A-4 mood!..

Prowler

Z-AZ1USN
October 17th, 2010, 10:54
That vid put me into A-4 mood!..

Prowler

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I forgot to make mention that back in 1966, we
had no email so, when that S-2 COD came aboard with the mail and "Mail Call" was
sounded on the IMC, (PA SYSTEM) we were in anticipation of those perfume scented letters
from our Wives/Girlfriends and a few of us even got some "Care Packages" from home i.e.
home make cookies and magazines etc. I'd share my home made baked goodies with some of my shipmates,
they appreciated that.

Paul K
October 17th, 2010, 11:04
Oh yes, thoroughly enjoyed that! Nice to recall the pre F-18 :sleep: days when USN aviation was varied and interesting.

A very good video and hugely impressive.

YoYo
October 17th, 2010, 12:14
Yep, nice the movie. See also here: http://www.airboyd.tv/

Jetmechanic
October 17th, 2010, 15:24
Indeed we need a A-4 for FSX with all the bells and gadgets

fsafranek
October 17th, 2010, 20:40
That was a great video. Toured the Midway Museum here in San Diego recently so have a better appreciation for living conditions on board a CV. Plus I like the variety of aircraft an the more colorful squadron colors of those days.
:ernae:

Ian Warren
October 18th, 2010, 01:18
Thanx AZ1USN , :jump: ... Hmm Prowler1111 That vid put me into A-4 mood!.. :salute:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

argo147
October 18th, 2010, 09:16
Great video! Loved seeing the A-3D and the RA-5C flying. It was also nice seeing those A-6A's too according to one of my books that was only the second year that the A-6A was in combat, and the A-6 squadron in the film the "Sunday Punchers" were the first to fly the Intruder operationally, and also the last to fly it before the USN retired it.

Z-AZ1USN
October 18th, 2010, 12:32
Great video! Loved seeing the A-3D and the RA-5C flying. It was also nice seeing those A-6A's too according to one of my books that was only the second year that the A-6A was in combat, and the A-6 squadron in the film the "Sunday Punchers" were the first to fly the Intruder operationally, and also the last to fly it before the USN retired it.

Yes, the A-6 was developed for the Viet-nam war, was an ugly baby but it got the job done.
We use to give them the nick name "trucks" because of the tremendous amount of bombs that
they would carry. Had to manually lift the bombs over your head onto the MER/TER (multiple/
triple) ejection rack. In one of my USS Ranger cruise books there is a picture of an A-6 that had
a sign sitting next to the cockpit canopy that read ......"exact change only".
Maybe I post that one some time.
:salute:

clmooring
October 18th, 2010, 17:00
great video

One of the great, fun opportunities of my life was to fly the A6 simulator at Oceana (home of the Sunday Punchers) I managed to touchdown on the carrier but didnt catch a wire (boltered). The way of moving the stick I looked like I was playing racket ball.

My friend (an A6 pilot and hero) did a night landing. He barely moved; mostly just making trim adjustments. I believe he caught the #2 or 3 wire.

What a great experience.