PDA

View Full Version : Another Arizona landmark in FSX

Cazzie
November 23rd, 2008, 15:49
Okay and thanks OZx crew for the Grand Canyon scenery, terrific. :applause:

Anyhow, I thought while I was in Arizona, why not look for the Meteor Crater since I have that wonderful FSGenesis 9.6-meter DEM mesh. So I took a flight out of Winslow and booked west toward Flagstaff heading for coordinates 35° 1.618'N, 111° 1.365W (Google Earth coordinates) looking for it. I had done this in FS9 and never found it using FSGenesis 38-meter DEM mesh.

Well, I'll be dad-gummed if I didn't find it right off the bat, FSX is simply amazing! :applause::d

Caz

war.ace
November 23rd, 2008, 16:02
you made that or it was on default scenery?

Cazzie
November 23rd, 2008, 16:09
you made that or it was on default scenery?

The scenery is GEX/USA + UTX/USA along with the aforementioned FSGenesis 9.6-meter DEM mesh war.ace. But AFAIK, none of the above programs add the crater, it's there in the default program. Naturally a 9.6-meter DEM mesh is going to show it better than the default 38-meter DEM in FSX. In using 9.6-meter mesh, one has to raise the Texture resolution in FSX Settings to 10-meters from the default 38-meters also.

Caz

Lionheart
November 23rd, 2008, 16:59
I have seen that crater and it is huge!!! You can barely see the tiny shacks down in the bottom. There are a zillion of these small round pebbles all around the area (for like a mile) that look like rusted metal flint-lock shots. (old gun shot balls or bullets).

An amazing thing 'also' to see besides the Grand Canyon.

Really wierd in that area, is that north of there is alot of dead mini-volcano's. I dont know if the techtonic plate suffered damage from the Meteor strike or if they are just part of the 'area' but man, what if they all go active again.. eeeks!

Bill