PDA

View Full Version : Pairing GPU(s) for CPU using TH2G

DB93
October 16th, 2010, 16:17
Hi all,

I've recently got some parts for an upgrade to my fsx machine that I plan on installing when my new hard drive and OS get here this coming week. The new parts are an ASUS P6T, an i7 965, and 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR-3 1600 ram, running off an Antec Tru-Power Trio 650 power supply. I'm going to be using my existing video card (9800GT) for now, but want to upgrade to something that will be able to keep up with the i7. I'm also running a TH2G, so I'm wondering if I'd benefit more from say a single GTX480, or from two GTX460's in SLI for a screen resolution of 4320x900 (3 19" monitors that are 1440x900 each). I'll be doing the video card upgrade in a month or two, and want to know which direction would be the best to go for that resolution. This is for a Win 7 Pro 64 system. I'm not looking for total overkill or anything here, just something that isn't going to be a bottleneck (which I believe the 9800GT will be on the new hardware) while being able to maintain the triple-wide screen resolution.

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions. :)
-George

stansdds
October 18th, 2010, 04:59
I have no personal experience with dual video cards or multiple monitor set ups, but I would think SLI would be the way to go with multiple monitors.

Alan_A
October 19th, 2010, 12:18
Hi all,

I've recently got some parts for an upgrade to my fsx machine that I plan on installing when my new hard drive and OS get here this coming week. The new parts are an ASUS P6T, an i7 965, and 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR-3 1600 ram, running off an Antec Tru-Power Trio 650 power supply. I'm going to be using my existing video card (9800GT) for now, but want to upgrade to something that will be able to keep up with the i7. I'm also running a TH2G, so I'm wondering if I'd benefit more from say a single GTX480, or from two GTX460's in SLI for a screen resolution of 4320x900 (3 19" monitors that are 1440x900 each). I'll be doing the video card upgrade in a month or two, and want to know which direction would be the best to go for that resolution. This is for a Win 7 Pro 64 system. I'm not looking for total overkill or anything here, just something that isn't going to be a bottleneck (which I believe the 9800GT will be on the new hardware) while being able to maintain the triple-wide screen resolution.

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions. :)
-George

Am involved in an active discussion about this right now over HERE (http://www.simforums.com/forums/from-triplehead-to-single-monitor-performance_topic36940.html).

I haven't made up my mind yet how to go forward, but for what it's worth, those running multimonitor seem to vote in favor of two NVidia cards in SLi running NVidia surround through the driver - and NOT using the TripleHead2Go.

I'm trying to track down some reports of performacne problems with NVidia surround but I think the references are to the 3D version, not the standard 2D.

If you go the SLi route, one thing to watch is your power supply. I'm not sure 650w will cut it. I'm on 750 right now and if I do that setup, I'll probably switch to a single-rail 1100w unit.

For what it's worth, we're on very similar systems, so some of the same considerations might apply.

Hope this helps.

DB93
October 19th, 2010, 14:49
Thanks for the answers. I'm going to have a peek at that other thread right now. I've already got the TH2G hardware, but if I can accomplish the same thing without it just by going SLI, then that in and of itself may be worth it. If I were to go the SLI route, I'd definitely plan on replacing my power supply, as I think the 650 would be cutting it way too close lol.

Thanks again for the responses. Going to check out that other thread now. :)
-George