PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pass Words

Pepere
October 16th, 2010, 15:47
Don't know about the rest of you but I have a million passwords for every place on the planet.

I have downloaded a free password program called "KeePass Password Safe" I have only put non-important passwords in the program so far because I don't really trust all things that are free or even purchased at times.

Have any of you used this program or heard anything about it? I've searched the Internet and it seems to be the real deal and safe?

David

Pepere
October 16th, 2010, 15:56
Here is where you can get it and see what it does:

http://keepass.info/

It's a simple program that works and seems to good to be free for no reason! Not good when we think like that is it?

David

falcon409
October 16th, 2010, 16:38
I have something similar, it's called a text file, lol. I have all my passwords saved to it and if I change a password, I just make the changes to the text file and save. I started doing that while I was in the Military. We had passwords for everything and they were complicated to the point that there was no way I could remember half of them. Some were just to log into the computer, some were for online teaching aids for our AFSC's and so on. Keeping a running text file was an excellent way to keep track of them.

Dain Arns
October 16th, 2010, 17:28
Similar thing I do, Ed.
Only difference is I create a word file that I write/store on a couple flash (thumb) drives.
With MS Word you can then password protect that file.
(Of course very important you remember that password! :icon_lol:
Oh and keep the flash drives in a safe place.)

Naismith
October 16th, 2010, 18:08
I'm old fashioned, I keep mine on paper, in pencil (remember them?) in a notebook.

Pepere
October 16th, 2010, 18:59
I'm old fashioned, I keep mine on paper, in pencil (remember them?) in a notebook.

That's what I do now. I have them in a little black book, okay it's really white. The only drawback is having to type them in all the time where as this KeepPass lets you copy them in. But the flash drive sounds like a way to go. I'll just put my Keepass program database on the flash drive and only plug it in as needed.

Now where did I put my flash drive?

David

Pepere
October 16th, 2010, 19:02
I have something similar, it's called a text file, lol. I have all my passwords saved to it and if I change a password, I just make the changes to the text file and save. I started doing that while I was in the Military. We had passwords for everything and they were complicated to the point that there was no way I could remember half of them. Some were just to log into the computer, some were for online teaching aids for our AFSC's and so on. Keeping a running text file was an excellent way to keep track of them.

You don't worry about spy ware getting your text file. That's kinda unprotected?

David

Paul K
October 17th, 2010, 01:07
I just have an Open Office document. I keep a paper copy on which I note down new passwords, then update the document when I feel like it, and print out a new paper copy. I have several back-ups, because if I lost it, I'd be well and truly sunk.

wiltzei
October 17th, 2010, 01:15
Keep your passwords easily memorable and strong enough by the following way, for example.

I was 12 years old when I got my first catch! --> 1w12y*w1gm1stc!

And donīt use the same password everywhere.

falcon409
October 17th, 2010, 05:17
Keep your passwords easily memorable and strong enough by the following way, for example.
I was 12 years old when I got my first catch! --> 1w12y*w1gm1stc!
And donīt use the same password everywhere.
Yep, that's the same basic method we were asked to use. It did make it easier to come up with passwords, especially when some sites required that your password be changed every so often.:salute: