PDA

View Full Version : goose

voyager
October 15th, 2010, 09:23
Was on Block Island birding near the airport (KBID) when I saw a goose. Look familiar?

stiz
October 15th, 2010, 09:29
does indeed! ACES did say they went to talk to real pilots and take a ganders at the planes :jump:

clmooring
October 15th, 2010, 16:19
it looks pretty low.... no gear, no flaps, an no outboard floats either. I would have expected something to be hanging out at that altitude. No?

Oh yeah. Great photo!

PRB
October 15th, 2010, 16:53
Cool pic!

voyager
October 15th, 2010, 18:30
clmooring,

When I first saw it in the distance it looked like it was lining up on the runway. As it got closer I noticed that the wheels were up and began to wonder. The pilot just made a very low pass along the runway and continued on his way.

voyager

expat
October 16th, 2010, 00:47
Great photo, aircraft and part of the world. Spent my summers growing up next door on Fishers Island. Try landing e.g. a King Air B200 at Elizabeth Field 0B8 - it is a challenge but they do it every weekend IRL.

TeaSea
October 16th, 2010, 04:26
Hmmmm.....

I notice the scale of the pilot is correct in this version.

clmooring
October 16th, 2010, 07:09
thx Voyager

that explains it. That would have been a nice pass to see!

Helldiver
October 16th, 2010, 10:57
Nice shot of a pretty looking airplane.
I just wish some one would do one before they decided to "modernize" it by putting the PBY floats on her or change the spinners. I'm used to the original one that basically was a seaplane.
Here's one taken at US Coast Guard Station at Winter Island, Salem, Massachusetts in 1946. The floats are fixed in position as God and Grumman wanted them to be.

voyager
October 16th, 2010, 13:20
clmooring

Wish that I had been at the airport itself instead in an adjacent field where I could not see the runway. Unfortunatly there was a rise between me and it. The buiding is someone's house outside the airport fence. Not quite sure how low the plane got, a couple hundred feet, maybe less. Hard to judge because the land slopes down from the house to the runway.

voyager