PDA

View Full Version : Wish "TV"

Wyld45
October 13th, 2010, 21:59
Seen the "USA" newspaper today and was reading the section with this seasons tv show ratings,and the crappy
shows,(except for a few) got me thinking how tv used to be,and all the old favorites. Shows like,"McHales Navy",
"Hogans Heroes", "Combat!" "Black Sheep Squadron" and others.

Sure would be nice to have shows like that again,but wonder if this generation would even be receptive of a television
series like one I would propose if I were director or a producer. Imagine a TV series called,"Honor and Glory",a WWII
TV show that for one, (1) would cover all 4 branches during that time, (2) Would include all major events,including BoB
as the early beginnings of WWII. (3) Would include both theaters. (4) Would have main characters cast in all four
branches and follow them from before entry,training and deployment. (5) Tom Hanks as director!!

Certainly a show like this would be well recieved and do great in ratings? Think how many seasons
you could squeeze out of it. I dont know too many people who didnt like Band of Brothers,and of
course who doesnt like Tom Hanks nowdays?

Yep,would be nice,...but doubt we'll ever see anything like that for regular TV. :wiggle:

Dave(Dangerous)Boynton
October 14th, 2010, 00:58
That sounds awesome, i saw band of brothers .... a fair few times we'll say but havent yet got round to watching pacific but looks as good as band of brothers and going on the strength of those two i'd say it should be a damn fine show. WISH i was over your side of the pond to see it :frown:

Dave

CADFather
October 14th, 2010, 04:50
You know, I've thought the same thing. I really liked the show on FX, "Over There" that was on for a short time a few years ago. But television budgets being what they are a new combat show focusing on the WWII genre would have to be out of the question, BOB, SPR set the bar too high. I absolutely cannot stand girlie TV with love interests and candle light dinners, but I would watch a show like "Army Wives" if it was set in the WWII time frame and showed what our mothers and grandmothers went through while our Paps where fighting. Maybe I need to draft a story line and pitch it to FX, that's how "The Shield" was done. Hmmm.
CAD

ndicki
October 14th, 2010, 06:36
It'd be even nicer if it was about the British, or Free Forces contribution. With all this "Band of Brothers" stuff, one does wonder sometimes if the war really did begin in 1939... (Yes, I know you mentioned the BoB - I'm only saying.)

You'd have to spell "Honour" properly, though.

alain95
October 14th, 2010, 07:13
WAR began 2 millions years ago beetween munkies that start walking on 2 feet...
...and then NEVER STOPS ! :monkies:

Wyld45
October 14th, 2010, 09:33
It'd be even nicer if it was about the British, or Free Forces contribution. With all this "Band of Brothers" stuff, one does wonder sometimes if the war really did begin in 1939... (Yes, I know you mentioned the BoB - I'm only saying.)

I like that even better Ndee, "Honour and Glory". And of course our favorite characters
would end up fighting beside other nationalities and even see Italy and Africa. Not to
forget our favorite enemy leaders like Rommel also.

Problem I find with showing the modern-model shows currently would be for one,
its too close to home and too soon right now for many that have loved ones in
Iraq and Afghanastan. Another detractant is,we're not even fighting an army or
soldiers, these guys now are just "thugs" and "Terrorists". Might as well watch
"Gangland" on History channel, its the same level of people.

Led Zeppelin
October 14th, 2010, 10:47
...and then NEVER STOPS !
And I don't think it will stop one day... so sad...

KellyB
October 15th, 2010, 05:20

Actually, many argue that WWII began in a railroad car in France in 1919.
Watching a BBC show, "Doc Martin" (which I recommend to you) on PBS last nite, that was the correct answer to the question posed to a woman to verify that she was not suffering from dementia. There'll always be an England!

ndicki
October 15th, 2010, 09:20
Actually, many argue that WWII began in a railroad car in France in 1919.

Quite agree, except the bit in the railway carriage was in 1918. 5.00AM on 11/11/1918, to be precise, and the cease-fire was to begin at 11.00AM.

The real trouble was caused essentially by the excessively harsh conditions imposed by the French in the Treaty of Versailles, which was signed in 1919.

ndicki
October 15th, 2010, 09:22
Problem I find with showing the modern-model shows currently would be for one,
its too close to home and too soon right now for many that have loved ones in
Iraq and Afghanastan. Another detractant is,we're not even fighting an army or
soldiers, these guys now are just "thugs" and "Terrorists". Might as well watch
"Gangland" on History channel, its the same level of people.

We could do one about the Falklands! that would be REALLY good stuff! (And upset a lot of people, beginning with the Argies, who are starting to get all agitated again.)

KellyB
October 15th, 2010, 10:41
Quite agree, except the bit in the railway carriage was in 1918. 5.00AM on 11/11/1918, to be precise, and the cease-fire was to begin at 11.00AM.

The real trouble was caused essentially by the excessively harsh conditions imposed by the French in the Treaty of Versailles, which was signed in 1919.

You are quite right, of course. My bad. I do actually know better, despite my error.

alain95
October 18th, 2010, 03:59
And I don't think it will stop one day... so sad...

Yes LedZ we don't know when, but there's a litlle hope in the fact that Homo sapians can learn history and escape from bad politics...sometimes.

(not any monkey was hurt in this thread)
Peace for all
:engel016: