PDA

View Full Version : Maskrider Solomons

alpha_1
October 13th, 2010, 20:03
Hi All. This has never happened to me before, but there's a first time for everything I suppose. I've always liked MR's Solomon Islands 2004 and always put that in my installs......however, lately I've decided to upgrade to one of his newer versions......next in line, SI 080512 Then I ran into problems.

In the meantime I added, removed, added other GSL's for different scenery, such as Bruno's Malta, and others......sometimes backing up, sometimes not. Everything seemed fine.

I removed the old SI from the scenery.cfg and there was no GSL to remove so that seemed fine. I then added all the files for the newer version as per the instructions. (I have to say here, that I've done this numerous times before and never had a problem.) I Loaded the scenery and GSL and then re-fired up the game. When I chose Henderson, for example, with the new install I found I had numerous big black boxes all over the place that I knew were not part of this scenery (these look like office buildings w/o windows). This happened with both his newer versions, this one and the latest version.

I've GOTTA have MR's SI in every install I do, so I removed the new, reinstalled the old, God was in his heaven, and I was a happy boy again!

I have a sneaking feeling that this might have something to do with GSL, nothing of MR's but what I've done with other scenery in the meantime. Is there a fix for this? Do I have to re-install all the existing GSL's plus the default again, or.......?

As always, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

MaskRider
October 13th, 2010, 21:49
Hows about a screen shot of the boxes. Or is it too late for that? :)

Its sounds as though you were describing missing scenery object textures- trees in particular.

alpha_1
October 13th, 2010, 22:55
Hiya Maskrider! I'm rather embarrassed to say that the problem is gonzo!! I had a feeling you'd be around, so in the meantime I thought I'd give it one more shot. Removed the old, installed the newer version and everything is 5 by 5!!

I'm thinking that there may have been some building objects that were missing but I got no error messages. Sorry, I'd taken out my previous endeavour before I made this post, without taking a screenshot.

I tried a couple of other areas, Europe, Aru Islands, Aleutians and they work fine as well. I'm sorry if I wasted anybody's time on this.....it's all good!

Thanks for your response. You are always on the ball and that is terrific!

Cheers!

MaskRider
October 13th, 2010, 23:03
Hiya Alpha_1,

FYI,

As best I understand it, black boxes and black squares always signal missing (unlocated) texture files. Black boxes show up for missing textures on 3d scenery objects- like trees and buildings. Black squares show up on the ground- when there are missing custom ground textures.

While missing objects will generate error messages, missing textures never generate error messages. CFS2 dioesn't care whether the textures are there or not. If they aren't there CFS2 shows black as a default.

MR

alpha_1
October 13th, 2010, 23:33
Thanks for explaining this. It was black cubes actually, that's why I thought they looked like black office buildings w/o windows.

I have no idea what I did wrong, but I surely did something.

Here's how it is now......poifect!!!

Thanks Maskrider
(whew!)