PDA

View Full Version : Acid Reflux nearly took me out of the game last night!

OBIO
October 12th, 2010, 11:11
I have acid reflux....it happens when you older. I have not seen a doctor about it, no need to....I just make sure not to eat within 4 or 5 hours of going to bed and everything is fine.

Well, last I was HUNGRY...had not been eating well for the last few days. I sat myself down with a bowl of BBQ tater chips and a nice glass of iced cola and watched some TV. Did a little work on a paint template and went to bed.

Woke up at some point and could not breath. The acid reflux was so bad that it had gotten into my air way. I could not breath. I jumped out of bed and headed to the bathroom....as if the bathroom holds some magical power over choking to death on partially digested BBQ tater chips and cola. DUH! Took me a few minutes to get the stuff coughed up out of my airway...hard to cough when you have almost no air in your lungs. But it came up, I could breath again. All is well.

Today Deb told me that I scared her to death last night. I scared HER...I was the one who could not breath...and she was scared!

OBIO

OleBoy
October 12th, 2010, 11:31
I know the feeling. I've had it at times where it feels as if my stomach was climbing back up my throat. Sets under the sternum pushing on the lungs. And it was hard to breath. Even for a couple days after the main blow up it would come and go. Not a good feeling.

Emil Frand
October 12th, 2010, 11:48
See a doctor, ive had it for years, sometimes so bad I couldnt move and barely could talk, once had an attack and neighbors saw me lying on the ground and called 911, ambulance guys swore I was having a heart attack which the ar has simular symptoms. made many er visits with same results, get there and they rush me in as a heart problem. prilosec works well and theres a generic version thats cheaper that works as well. I dont buy the diet thing at all or eating before bed, mine hits when it wants, I could eat chicken wings one day a week later eat chowder and it hit. The tilting the bed up trick didnt work either. Ive averaged 2 er visits a year since 2002 because of it but havent had one in 18 months,now that I said that Ill probably have attack later today.

OleBoy
October 12th, 2010, 11:53
I've gotten so cramped up from acid reflux that I've had to hit the ER myself. They gave me a cup of something the nurse referred to as "snot in a cloud". It looked like egg whites in milk. Tasted nasty!!
....but as fast as I swallowed, all the acid was gone.

Emil Frand
October 12th, 2010, 12:31
hahaha yeah that stuff is great, they usually give me a bottle to bring home. one of my er trips I was watching history channel, forget the show bUt it was a 2 parter, well went home later but next day, frikkin next day! I was back and saw part 2 of that show!!!

Dain Arns
October 12th, 2010, 14:32
I hear ya Obio... :isadizzy:
I noticed mine is back too, since Dad has been in and out of the hospital this past month, on top of all the other stuff going on.
So far all I've needed was some shots of Mylanta. (Bleah)

I need to cut down on the carbonated cola beverages intake as well.
That usually helps as well, in my case.

Dangerousdave26
October 12th, 2010, 15:01
I used to have that problem but I found when I lost weight (and kept it off) it went away.

When I was around 220 lbs I just about eat Tums all the time.

As soon as I hit 200 lbs I have no problems at all.

My ideal weight is to keep me safe is 180 and thats where I am heading next.

My suggestion if you refuse to see a doctor is lose weight.

stansdds
October 12th, 2010, 15:47
Definitely cut down or cut out the soft drinks. Soft drinks, other than root beer, contain phosphoric acid, which gives soft drinks the tingling sensation in your mouth. That acid can significantly increase the acid levels in your stomach as well as irritate the lining of the esophagus. Phosphoric acid also binds with and strips calcium from your teeth and bones. That calcium is filtered out of your blood by your kidneys and can lead to the formation of kidney stones.

Prilosec does work well to control acid production and acid reflux, but you really need a doctor make an accurate diagnosis, just to be sure it isn't something else causing your symptoms.

HighGround22
October 12th, 2010, 17:08
Well . . . my acid reflux would frequently have me leaping out of bed to get myself to a vertical position so the damn stuff would subside in my esophagus. Then I'd have to sit around for an hour and cough-up the damned stomach acid out of my bronchi. Happened often. Tried all kinds of things.

The Omeprazole (generic Prilosec) helps greatly now, but it was weight loss was helped me most of all.

And just fwiw, I now drink more diet cola than ever (my one and only vice other than FSX). Always figured the "tingle" was caused by CO2 carbonation, and it never seems to do me any harm.

OBIO
October 12th, 2010, 19:14
I hear ya guys on the weight loss tip. I need to shed some weight...and have recently...I have dropped a couple inches from my pant size in the last couple of weeks. My ideal weight is still far above what the medical charts say I should weight. I am just a heavy person...even when I am slim, I am heavy. Back in 2004 (pre-marriage days), I had a 35 inch waist and looked sick I was so lean...people told me I needed to put on some weight. I had to make a trip to the ER after work one night to have a few shards of stainless steel removed from my arm and the nurse doing my intake paper work asked me how much I weighed...I told her I had no clue. She looked at me and said that I looked like I was in the 170 to 180 range, but to be sure she had to put me on the scales. The scales showed that I weighed 245...we thought the scales were off. I ended up being weighed on 6 different scales throughout the ER department...and they all showed me at 245 pounds. I am 5 10ish, 5 11ish. I have really thick muscular legs, wide thick shoulders, a big chest and a broad back. I am built like a Dwarf...the kind you see in fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings....stocky...like a big ol tree trunk.

Not only would the weight loss help my acid reflux, it would help my sleep apnea as well.

OBIO

Lionheart
October 12th, 2010, 20:31
I had an attack like this about 12 days ago. Got into my breathing opening in the middle of the night. Burned like fire!!! I then caught a flu or cold after that, but oddly, its like it blended into an infection and that caused the flu. I dont know. Thats what it felt like. I was sore and sick for over a week. Glad its behind me now.

Horrible when it happens......

Glad you made it OBIO. Would hate to lose you to that...

Lets all lose our weight this next year!

Bill

Dain Arns
October 12th, 2010, 20:42
I had an attack like this about 12 days ago. Got into my breathing opening in the middle of the night. Burned like fire!!! I then caught a flu or cold after that, but oddly, its like it blended into an infection and that caused the flu. I dont know. Thats what it felt like. I was sore and sick for over a week. Glad its behind me now.

Horrible when it happens......

Glad you made it OBIO. Would hate to lose you to that...

Lets all lose our weight this next year!

Bill

Sounds like aspiration pneumonia, Bill.
Can happen when any type of foreign matter gets into the lungs and passageways.
Doesn't hurt to have it checked if you are still having any symptoms.
Pneumonia can be a pain to get rid of, sometimes.

Collin
October 12th, 2010, 20:43
Poor Debs.

all that worry.

regards Collin:ernae:

TomSteber
October 13th, 2010, 02:59
I've suffered from this as well. Maybe it has something to do with flight simming? :)
I remember the first time it really bothered me. I thought I was having a heart attack!
The doctor put me on Provacid for a while. That seemed to do it for me. I haven't been on that for years. I still get it from time to time. Usually if I have a glass of cold milk that helps.
Yeah, there's nothing worse that waking up to that burning back up into your throat thing. The rest of the nights sleep is usually shot. Thank God that doesn't happen to me very often.
If I were you Obio, I'd go see your doctor. The fix might be very simple.

Quixoticish
October 13th, 2010, 03:09
Start investigating it yourself.

I suffered awfully from acid reflux and was put on proton pump inhibitors. I saw various doctors and a dietician but none of them could explain why it was happening, they just treated the symptoms.

Eventually my better half suggested it could be a food allergy. I tried cutting out dairy first for a month, that did nothing. Then nuts, that did nothing. Then I tried gluten.... Problem solved. The reflux went away and I have never been happier, and these days if I "treat" myself to a pizza or something I know to pop some antacids before I go to sleep (Gaviscon is the best, I don't know if you can get them in the US).

I've also had the reflux/choke in the middle of the night thing twice in the past and it's terrifying. However the two times it has happened with me have been because of acid rebound, taking too many antacids during the day and at night it's come back with avengeance. Since I stopped popping the antacids like sweets and just reserved them for very bad patches and two before I go to sleep it's never been an issue.

Loosing weight also helps a huge amount.

brad kaste
October 13th, 2010, 07:09
Gaviscon can be purchased at any leading drug store throughout the US. I keep it at the ready if I eat too late or have a heavy meal....especially one made up of tomato paste or sauce. Yum yum,....but o'brother later.....

Daveroo
October 13th, 2010, 07:14
i agree with the poster who said it has to do with flight simming...its all to do with altititude sickness.............

ok ok..i have something wrong with me as well...the same dr has told me..i do have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux..and then the next month..he said no i dont...then he said i do...i dont know what to think..and then i just talked to my GP yesterday on the phone ( he and i are buddies in life and he called me about the A10 thats out)but he then told me that they had done a test on me and cant see any signs of a hiatal hernia or acid reflux...he said...dude just eat ya omeprozole every night and deal with it......i told him i would but next prostrate exam he has to kiss me first...................he hung up on me

Mickey D
October 13th, 2010, 07:38
Omeprozol that's the one. 1 a day, No more acid. Brilliant!
Eat what you want, curry or chilli? No problem.

HouseHobbit
October 13th, 2010, 07:47
I am very sorry to hear of the problems many seem to have with this..
I have never had this problem, Thank God..

But I do cough up fur balls..:icon_lol:
Keeping one's furry feet looking good does take some effort..:icon_lol:

Dain Arns
October 13th, 2010, 08:25
But I do cough up fur balls..:icon_lol:

TMI! :monkies:
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Quixoticish
October 13th, 2010, 08:26
Omeprozol that's the one. 1 a day, No more acid. Brilliant!
Eat what you want, curry or chilli? No problem.

It can also cause tremendous acid rebound when you come off it.

Better use it in the short term until you discover the cause or trigger, and treat the problem rather than the symptoms.

Snuffy
October 13th, 2010, 09:26
Sadly I suffer this on occasion as well. I went to a Chiropractor/Kenesiologist and he taught me the "natural" way of curing the issue, and its quite amazing actually, especially the feeling of your esophagus/stomach slipping back through the hole in your diaphragm ... you're whole body jerks in a quick response. (much like a "nap jerk", and I know you've all had one of them once or twice.)

For those who would like to know the "natural" cure, take your thumb and press in and up just below the joint of your breast bone/rib cage, as deep as you can, and then with that same pressure applied, slide your thumb slowly down your abdomen to your navel. Repeat two or three times ... give it about 10 to 15 minutes and if you did it proper your problems will disappear, and if your stomach penetrated your diaphragm, that same exercise should snap your stomach back into its proper location.

With regard to:

...But I do cough up fur balls..:icon_lol:

Are ye sure its just yer feet yer grooming? Not double jointed or anything eh?
:icon_lol:

Mickey D
October 13th, 2010, 10:45
It can also cause tremendous acid rebound when you come off it.

Better use it in the short term until you discover the cause or trigger, and treat the problem rather than the symptoms.

Then don't come off it. Simples. Tch!
But mine's prescribed because the other pills I take cause the acid in the first place. Mainly the aspirin.

Quixoticish
October 13th, 2010, 12:07
Then don't come off it. Simples. Tch!
But mine's prescribed because the other pills I take cause the acid in the first place. Mainly the aspirin.

Don't come off it? There are side effects with PPI's, and it can have some nasty effects cumulatively taken over a long period. I think if anyone had the choice they'd be far happier if they could solve the problem once and for all rather than popping pills for the rest of their life. At least that's my 2p on the subject.

muletrain
October 13th, 2010, 18:52
Obio...
It is quite frightening to wake up already hypoxic and then be unable to breath! Weight, reflux, and sleep apnea were likely all factors in aspirating some of the reflux. As was noted one of the results can be aspiration pneumonia which isn't much fun either and can be serious.
The older we get the more our infirmities sneak up on us and our bodies talk to us about them. I'm thinkin' your experience was a "wake up call" from yourself to yourself. This business can get dangerous if it isn't tended to. Please consider having a visit with your physician.

I did and I sleep much better now!!:sleep:

Navy Chief
October 14th, 2010, 03:46
Have been on Nexium (40mg) for yrs. It has really helped my G.E.R.D., and reflux.

NC

Mickey D
October 14th, 2010, 04:52
Don't come off it? There are side effects with PPI's, and it can have some nasty effects cumulatively taken over a long period. I think if anyone had the choice they'd be far happier if they could solve the problem once and for all rather than popping pills for the rest of their life. At least that's my 2p on the subject.

The choice would be nice Chris but since the other pills keep the pump going the choices are few. :)

Dain Arns
October 14th, 2010, 05:21
Couple articles from Health.com this morning in my mailbox.
Guess someone is looking out for me...

"5 Health Conditions That Can Cause Heartburn":
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20389438,00.html

"7 Daily Habits That Can Halt Heartburn":
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307299,00.html

"9 Medications That Can Cause Heartburn":
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20400680,00.html