PDA

View Full Version : A Pre-Novice FSX Question

T Square
October 11th, 2010, 12:05
I am thinking about loading up FSX on my rig and got some questions. The most important one being can my rig handle it ? I've got an HP w/AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800+ 1.99 Ghz, with 3.18 GB of Ram, integrated ATI Radeon xpress 200 series graphics w/256 MB adapter ram, and 2 500GB harddrives. Next question would be: What kind of performance can I expect and at what settings ?

Smokey Joe
October 11th, 2010, 13:20
I am thinking about loading up FSX on my rig and got some questions. The most important one being can my rig handle it ? I've got an HP w/AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800+ 1.99 Ghz, with 3.18 GB of Ram, integrated ATI Radeon xpress 200 series graphics w/256 MB adapter ram, and 2 500GB harddrives. Next question would be: What kind of performance can I expect and at what settings ?

Honestly, I think that rig would frustrate you, even at low scenery settings. A quad running around 3 gigahertz and a 1 gig video card is really the area you want to be in for FSX.

Meshman
October 11th, 2010, 13:21
Based upon my past hardware and being a FSX convert since day one, I would not recommend the time or effort to install FSX. Your system is similar to my previous-previous system, an AMD 3700 and an ATi dedicated graphics card. Even at very modest settings FSX struggled to get 20fps. Start trying to add anything to FSX and the performance will plumett.

FS9 still has life left in it and your system would run it fairly well, even after adding stuff in.

Daube
October 11th, 2010, 16:28
I confirm all of the above. This rig is not good for FSX. The integrated graphic card is too weak, and the CPU seems too slow.

txnetcop
October 11th, 2010, 16:39
If you are not running a laptop you may have a desktop with an AM2+ motherboard. In that case you can always upgrade the CPU to AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCJ4DGI - OEM for less than $100 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103644)

If you don't have a PCI-Express 2.0 slot it would be a waste of your time but if you do have one upgrade to an ATI HD4850 512 mb 256 bit interface and for about $200 you will be able to run FSX fairly well...at least medium to low high.

T Square
October 12th, 2010, 06:10
This is about what I figured. My FS2004 went south on me the other day, so I've got to reinstall thought I might update to FSX if rig could handle it, but it's pretty dated and I ain't got the funds to get a new one so I guess it's back to FS9 for a while. I think I get as much enjoyment out of reinstalling as I do flying, every time I find something new or something I missed. What a great hobby for an old retired Air Force Fart like me. OH and thanks for the advice all !!!!!

:salute: