PDA

View Full Version : The first legitimate Bearcat

Helldiver
October 11th, 2010, 11:27
Here's a picture of a legitimate Bearcat. The Pilot is the right size, the canopy is in the right shape, the paint has the right shine, the tailhook is wide enough and it doesn't have that stupid frame in the back of the canopy.
This is a real airplane 63 years ago.

Rezabrya
October 11th, 2010, 15:05
This may be the first "legitimate" Bearcat, but this is certainly not the first time you have complained. Vertigo Studios has put out a very fine product and if it doesn't live up to your standards, then there is a simple solution... Don't buy it!

c87
October 11th, 2010, 15:30
So what's your point Helldiver? If you don't like the products that are out there, don't buy it/them. If your point is to just "point out" what a real Bearcat looks like, thanks, but I have plenty of other sources available to me to sort that out. I bought the Vertigo Bearcat, I like it and I don't care if this or that piece isn't perfect.

I for one am glad and thankful for developers that offer these additional products that don't come with the original sim. If it wasn't for them, warts and all, I wouldn't be able to simulate flying some of what I consider to be the greatest aircraft that were produced.

luftwulf
October 11th, 2010, 15:34
ZZZZ

To take a quote out of Steve Job's book "what have you done that's so great? Do you create anything, or just criticize others work....?"

LW

txnetcop
October 11th, 2010, 15:43
PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS THREAD STAYS CIVIL GUYS...THANKS

falcon409
October 11th, 2010, 15:47
Helldiver, who made that one? If it's perfect, I'd like to take a close up look myself.

N2056
October 11th, 2010, 15:56
Somehow I find it disappointing that Helldiver seems to get this response to many of his posts. He was there! You were not. Personally that merits respect to the man even if you do not agree with what he has to say in his posts.

heywooood
October 11th, 2010, 15:57
Grumman made that one, falcon...

Helldiver - it is impossible to please everyone all the time

and to all - its just not a big enough rail to cause any more reply than "sorry you don't like it"

to Vertigo - I think the positives far outweigh the negatives so please continue on course and speed

edit : I see the pic now - was a red X before - and it IS the Vertigo model - so this tongue in cheek rant got me

jp
Did you guys even look at his attached pic? It's the vertigo studios bearcat... I'm thinking you may need to reconsider how this came across... Mabye he was complimenting it.... That damn sure isn't a real bird (look at the scenery) but i am fairly certian it's the V Studios one. Also v studios is releasing a patch. So let's reexamine and think through all possibilities before we gang up on someone. Just my $0.02

I could be wrong, and if I have offended you, I apologize in advance.

Jp

peter12213
What ever happened to the saying "if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right" I for one am not an expert on this aircraft but I do expect it to be the best it can be especially when we pay for it, and I'm not satisfied with the end result of this one, never before has vertigo studios released a model in the state this one has been and I know it's being fixed but still it just feels half finished to me! This is in no way a dig at anyone just my personal opinion! AnyWay Haywoods right the positives by far outweigh the negatives!

Rezabrya
October 11th, 2010, 16:04
I am just trying to say that he is repeating himself way too much. Vertigo has heard his complaints on the matter and either they are choosing to ignore them, or they are fixing them behind the scenes. They have already said that they won't be posting as much on SOH because of people who like to constantly put down their work.

And to the people who are insinuating that I have less respect for the guy because I posted that... grow up. At no point in my post did I say I didn't have respect for him. I love Helldiver for what he did for his country and for us. I am merely saying that he has made his point heard. Whether or not Vertigo chooses to act on that, is not up to him.

bmd
October 11th, 2010, 16:17
Hello,

For me it is a wonderful repaint for the Vertigo Bearcat. We can find it on the Avsim library under the name f8f-1_vf-72.zip (texture only for Vertigo payware package). Inside this repaint archive file we can find the image used by helldiver.( If you look at the prop disk on this image you will discover it is a screenshot.)

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=273689

This wonderful repaint was done by Russel R. Smith. Thanks

Have a good day

Benoit

warchild
October 11th, 2010, 16:20
Ummm, did i miss something here?? Thats vertigo studios bear and from what i can see HD was complimenting them.. I'm quite confused from the out of left field comments which appeared to me to be defensive and aggressive slams..
Warchild..

clmooring
October 11th, 2010, 16:20
Thats what I think too. I think Helldiver is messing with our heads..... pointing out that the final product incorporated many adjustments.

txnetcop
October 11th, 2010, 16:22
Ummm, did i miss something here?? Thats vertigo studios bear and from what i can see HD was complimenting them.. I'm quite confused from the out of left field comments which appeared to me to be defensive and aggressive slams..
Warchild..

You didn't miss it...they did! That is the Vertigo Bearcat he posted

N2056
October 11th, 2010, 16:22
And to the people who are insinuating that I have less respect for the guy because I posted that... grow up. At no point in my post did I say I didn't have respect for him. I love Helldiver for what he did for his country and for us. I am merely saying that he has made his point heard. Whether or not Vertigo chooses to act on that, is not up to him.

That would be aimed at me.

I agree that you did not directly do that. My point was that in some cases it is okay to not reply to every thing you read. You learn that when you "grow up".

txnetcop
October 11th, 2010, 16:26
Poor ol' Helldiver can't post anything without somebody jumping in his arse! LOL I'm glad he is thick-skinned!

Daveroo
October 11th, 2010, 16:39
personally??? i like and respect Mr Helldiver..the man is a Vetran (even though i cant spell it) and i respect him for it and im not gonna pick on nuffin he says......

for that mater i respect all our vets here..USA and other countries since we are a world wide forum...thank you ALL for what youve done for your respective countries and peoples....i stayed home and did my bit as a fire fighter (yes ive meantioned this before) but its all i could do...sooooo

falcon409
October 11th, 2010, 17:12
Did you guys even look at his attached pic? It's the vertigo studios bearcat... I'm thinking you may need to reconsider how this came across... Mabye he was complimenting it.... That damn sure isn't a real bird (look at the scenery) but i am fairly certian it's the V Studios one. Also v studios is releasing a patch. So let's reexamine and think through all possibilities before we gang up on someone. Just my $0.02

I could be wrong, and if I have offended you, I apologize in advance.
Jp
Yea, that's why I asked who made the airplane. You can look at his pic and see it's a screenshot from the sim. I just didn't know who the developer was and if HD says it's perfect, I want a closer look.

I did know that Grumman made the original airplane, lol:wavey:

ColoKent
October 11th, 2010, 17:45
...it's a GAME, people.

...and Helldiver was simply screwing with our heads-- good on ya, sir!

Kent

Naki
October 11th, 2010, 17:53
Haha it must be a good model if some have mistaken it for the real thing!:wiggle:

OleBoy
October 11th, 2010, 18:24
I saw the repaint over at Avsim earlier. A class act for an already great looking model. Though I didn't catch on when I first saw his post here. And I do think he is posting in admiration.

Who lit the fire!!

ColoKent
October 11th, 2010, 18:53
...it was freaking me out because I kept looking at the pic saying to myself: Nah...that's got to be FSX...but I have to admit-- it is DARN good looking.

I think I will end up buying this one-- and I absolutely will buy the F9F...

Kent

Cees Donker
October 11th, 2010, 22:05
This may be the first "legitimate" Bearcat, but this is certainly not the first time you have complained. Vertigo Studios has put out a very fine product and if it doesn't live up to your standards, then there is a simple solution... Don't buy it!

It's obvious to me at first glance that this is a screenshot from a sim. Look at the trees. Look at the total picture. I think you misinterpreted HD's post and you jump to the gun too easy. Even sadder that knowing you're wrong (and you're not the only one) you didn't come back on your earlier rant. Excuses to HD would be in place. Just my two cents.

Cees

Helldiver
October 12th, 2010, 00:56
Of course it's the Vertigo's Bearcat in all it's glory. It's the first time I ever saw a US Navy World War II plane shown so perfectly. This repaint was nicely done for me by Russel R. Smith. It shows the airplane as I remember it. We had two squadrons of F8-Fs and one squardron of F6-F (N) aboard the USS Leyte CV-32..
With the exception of the brace in the back of the canopy, The plane is perfect.

expat
October 12th, 2010, 02:33
All I can say is how great it is to have someone here who saw it all and can remember and articulate it so very clearly for the rest of us. Invaluable.:salute:

falcon409
October 12th, 2010, 03:29
It's obvious to me at first glance that this is a screenshot from a sim. Look at the trees. Look at the total picture. I think you misinterpreted HD's post and you jump to the gun too easy. Even sadder that knowing you're wrong (and you're not the only one) you didn't come back on your earlier rant. Excuses to HD would be in place. Just my two cents.

Cees
Same here Cees. I never thought it was an actual period photo, you can tell that by looking at the screenshot. I knew that Vertigo had done the Bearcat, but I was thinking HD had found another model somewhere, lol.:salute:

italoc
October 12th, 2010, 06:45
...it's a GAME, people.

...and Helldiver was simply screwing with our heads-- good on ya, sir!

Kent

I agree 100%: it's only a GAME, so relax guys and enjoy :applause:
Italo

luftwulf
October 12th, 2010, 07:59
I mistook your post, apologies all around.

Cheers,

LW

Rezabrya
October 12th, 2010, 09:05
Same here, my bad HD.

fliger747
October 12th, 2010, 12:42
Gotta love the net....

BTW the "stupid frame" was a removable item and was to provide some rollover protection. Even if a Naval Aviator was only worth 5 gal of Icecream on the open market, it could be inconvinent to train a new one.

T

calypsos
October 12th, 2010, 13:25
Going back to 'that shot', has the roll-over assembly been photoshopped out?? as far as I have ascertained, that is only a re-paint, not a modified model.

Developers often have many reasons for ignoring advice. It has happened to me a couple of times when adding my real world memories to a product I was beta testing. Sometimes they prefer drawings and photos to suggestions.

Gibbage
October 12th, 2010, 13:28
Nothing too see here, move on. Simple misunderstanding. To me it sounded like HD was being sarcastic and not liking the product.

c87
October 12th, 2010, 17:03
OK, just came back to this thread and saw Helldiver's other post. My bad, sorry Helldiver.

jp
October 12th, 2010, 18:11
Did anyone even bother to read my first post... I reached the same conclusions everyone else is reaching in bits at the same time, lol. Argument resolved, I cast the verdict of misunderstanding, and determine HD was making a backhanded compliment...

Helldiver
October 13th, 2010, 05:15
Sorry for the confusion. I was merely trying to say this is the very best portrayal of a Bearcat that has ever been done. It was a fight to get Vertigo to make the changes, but when they did, they ended up with truly a masterpiece.
I know that some people were sick of my harping on the changes but the results are worth it.
As far as a frame in the back of the canopy, in spite of seeing 100s of F8-Fs flying, I never saw any of them with a frame back there. I removed it in Paint Shop Pro. I only wish Vertigo would offer the option, with or without a frame.

David_L6
October 13th, 2010, 06:46
SOH sure is lucky to have a member that actually saw these planes in person when they were new.

mfitch
October 13th, 2010, 12:56
...this is the very best portrayal of a Bearcat that has ever been done. It was a fight to get Vertigo to make the changes, but when they did, they ended up with truly a masterpiece.

Okay, now I want this plane even more. Too bad there are so many toys and so little money.

Paul K
October 13th, 2010, 14:16
SOH sure is lucky to have a member that actually saw these planes in person when they were new.

What about those who see a Bearcat regularly today ? They are exactly the same.

What a bizarre thread this has turned into.