PDA

View Full Version : An invalid arguement was encountered - help!!

centuryseries
October 10th, 2010, 01:52
For reasons I'm yet to wotk out, my FSX won't load and comes up with the error message:

"An invalid arguement was encountered"

It then loads up the menu in the right, lower part of my screen and you can't do anything!

I've tried renaming the fsx.cfg but that made no difference!

Has anyone had this error before?!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David.

PRB
October 10th, 2010, 05:57
I've never seen that one before. Have you recenently installed something? I would try uninstalling it as a first step. Are there any other indications, file names, error codes? Also, check the system logs. Sometimes you can get clues from there. Sometimes. And google the error message you recieved with "FSX". Is there anything about the message that indicates who is reporting the message, meaning FSX, Windows, or the graphics card?

centuryseries
October 11th, 2010, 10:44
Have tried google. Only recent installation was DCS A-10C, error message only appears when trying to run fsx but doesn't mention any files or anything other than that message!!

Will check eventvwr tonight, see if it can give any other info.

Cheers,

David.

falcon409
October 11th, 2010, 11:24
I'm sure you've already tried this and it's a long shot I know, but I'd uninstall the A-10, completely.

Alan_A
October 11th, 2010, 12:28
For what it's worth - I started getting that menu-in-the-lower-right-corner thing when I installed Cumulus X. The startup splash screen is normal. Then, during the Cumulus X load sequence, the startup menu suddenly appears at lower right. Then, after a few seconds, it snaps back to its normal position. Makes me wonder if your problem is caused by some other sort of add-on program running or at least loading in the background. However, I've never gotten the "invalid argument" prompt so this may be off-base. Use or discard, as needed.

centuryseries
October 11th, 2010, 14:32
Thanks for the suggestions, I've done some delving and it would appear that I can get into everything except the free flight menu and that is where the error appears.

I can even fly a mission!

What I don't get is that if I delete the fsx.cfg I still can't get into freeflight - perhaps one of my addon aircraft has gone bonkers and broken itself lol

Will try moving all but the default planes from the airplanes folder see if that works.....

centuryseries
October 12th, 2010, 12:11
Tried moving every aircraft out of the simobjects airplanes folder leaving just one default aircaft in there, and I still get the error so it looks like either DCS A-10C has broken it or its broken itself......will try uninstalling DCS A-10C since that installs quicker than FSX lol :jump:

Still open to suggestion.....?!

ananda
October 12th, 2010, 13:37
Still open to suggestion.....?!

It seems likely you have an addon which is trying to run a program, check dll.xml.

If all else fails:

If you have Acceleration installed, insert the Acceleration DVD and select "Repair".

If you have the RTM version, insert the FSX DVD and select "Repair".

papab
October 12th, 2010, 16:53
System restore?

centuryseries
October 15th, 2010, 10:35
It seems likely you have an addon which is trying to run a program, check dll.xml.

If all else fails:

If you have Acceleration installed, insert the Acceleration DVD and select "Repair".

If you have the RTM version, insert the FSX DVD and select "Repair".

Will try a repair first. Thanks for the idea. :wiggle:

centuryseries
October 16th, 2010, 10:59
Tried repairing it, no joy. Uninstalled it then reinstalled the whole lot and it now works. Still have no idea what happened to it though....!