PDA

View Full Version : Do-217

tommieboy
October 9th, 2010, 10:09
If you like vintage WWII props and sightseeing from within the cockpit, then the Do-217 is probably the best in this category.

Good News! I just stumbled across this on the ALS-SIM website:

The Dornier 217 - K1 (BMW Engine) and the 217 -M1
is now being completely re-worked for FSX

Although probably not a popular model and also very little know regarding WW2 aircraft I have had a few requests to re-work this aircraft and I also regard it as one of my favourite Luftwaffe aircraft of that era along with the HE 177

No surviving Dornier's exist to this date in any museum although it was one of the most numerous bomber/night fighter variants built during the WW2 period for the Luftwaffe.

The 217 version had an "all glazed" nose and revised crew stations that proved popular with the aircrew that flew them. Also I believe that because of this it makes them one of the more aesthetically appealing aircraft of that type although the VC is going to be a nightmare to complete.

dswo
October 9th, 2010, 10:37
This is good news. The original was one of my earliest* reviews -- http://www.avsim.com/pages/1106/Do217/Do217.htm -- and I've often wished for a native-model version.

* earliest = thinking it was smart to compare FS engine sounds with IL-2 "equivalents."

tommieboy
October 9th, 2010, 12:11
This is good news. The original was one of my earliest* reviews -- http://www.avsim.com/pages/1106/Do217/Do217.htm -- and I've often wished for a native-model version.

* earliest = thinking it was smart to compare FS engine sounds with IL-2 "equivalents."

I remember that review; I bought the aircraft because of that exact review.

Tommy

txnetcop
October 9th, 2010, 12:15
Ditto David I bought that baby based on your excellent review

Lionheart
October 10th, 2010, 00:35
That is one awesome, detailed, thorough review David! Well done...

Awesome plane. You look at what the Americans and British were building and then look at the German counterparts and its so amazingly different.

Roger
October 10th, 2010, 03:01
I've had it ported from Fs9 since I got FsX. Frame rates are down from a native aircraft so it will be great to see it made native!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/217-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/217-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/217-1.jpg

tommieboy
October 10th, 2010, 10:00
I've had it ported from Fs9 since I got FsX. Frame rates are down from a native aircraft so it will be great to see it made native!

Me too! I had to turn off "light bloom" to get the aircraft to show up in the sim. I'm using SP2.

Tommy

Cirrus N210MS
October 10th, 2010, 17:17
where can i find the fsx model? your talking about? :salute:

do i have to pay for it again? :jump:

tommieboy
October 10th, 2010, 18:56
where can i find the fsx model? your talking about? :salute:

do i have to pay for it again? :jump:

http://mark-harper.co.uk/

There is a tab on the left side of the page; there is no more info available than what I already posted.

Tommy

FSDSMAN
October 10th, 2010, 23:38
I am afraid that the FSX model when done will be a NEW product.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Because of the work involved it will mean basically a complete re-build and texture setup.<o:p></o:p>
The VC will also be completely re-built and as usual with my future released almost no gauge will be used. Also it is envisaged that it will be "super detailed" as I do not have any constraints when modelling for FSX regarding file size and vertex limits. A lot was left out of the old version like fully detailed BMW engines and mixed payloads because of the constraints in FS9. <o:p></o:p>
Those people that originally purchased it can of course "port" the FS9 version over but if you wish a native "all new" FSX version then I am afraid you will need to purchase the new version. Also I will be releasing my stuff through myself (ALS-SIM) via Flight1 rather than a publisher as this means that more of the revenue is returned and the beta testers and other people get paid if it sells rather that a promise. <o:p></o:p>
If anybody knows a bit about modelling then they will appreciate the amount of time required to make an aircraft for FSX as apposed to FS9 and simply up-dating FS9 models is not really suitable. <o:p></o:p>

calypsos
October 11th, 2010, 00:16
Hi Mark, it was great to see that you now have a new (to me) website, the Victor and Sea Hawk projects look exciting too, if they even come close to the Mirage, they will be awsome!
Cheers,
Trev

Daveroo
October 11th, 2010, 09:33
I am afraid that the FSX model when done will be a NEW product.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Because of the work involved it will mean basically a complete re-build and texture setup.<o:p></o:p>
The VC will also be completely re-built and as usual with my future released almost no gauge will be used. Also it is envisaged that it will be "super detailed" as I do not have any constraints when modelling for FSX regarding file size and vertex limits. A lot was left out of the old version like fully detailed BMW engines and mixed payloads because of the constraints in FS9. <o:p></o:p>
Those people that originally purchased it can of course "port" the FS9 version over but if you wish a native "all new" FSX version then I am afraid you will need to purchase the new version. Also I will be releasing my stuff through myself (ALS-SIM) via Flight1 rather than a publisher as this means that more of the revenue is returned and the beta testers and other people get paid if it sells rather that a promise. <o:p></o:p>
If anybody knows a bit about modelling then they will appreciate the amount of time required to make an aircraft for FSX as apposed to FS9 and simply up-dating FS9 models is not really suitable. <o:p></o:p>

just keep us posted as to when its ready...im waitin for it

OleBoy
October 11th, 2010, 09:41
I just might have to look into this one when it gets completed. I remember a CFS2 Beaufighter converted for FS2004 that I really liked. Even for being converted and lacking a lot of things I liked the old looks and style. The DO217 looks to be on the same lines and era.
......I look forward to seeing this one progress.

tommieboy
October 11th, 2010, 17:41
....but if you wish a native "all new" FSX version then I am afraid you will need to purchase the new version..... <o:p></o:p>

Judging from the crop of FSX aircraft that have been recently released, It'll be worth the wait and price, as a lot of the new FSX builds are really top shelf stuff.

Tommy

P38man
November 16th, 2011, 21:38
Is this still ongoing ?

I am really interested.

OleBoy
November 16th, 2011, 23:35
Is this still ongoing ?

I am really interested.

+1. I completely forgot about this one!