PDA

View Full Version : AH Seafire works in FSX - Acceleration ... sort of

delta_lima
October 8th, 2010, 22:37
Hoping to drown my scenery design headaches and Sea Fury blues in a bit of Seafire fun, I dropped in the AH Seafire ... held my breath, and yes - she looks good! Especially in Morton's repaints.

Prop looks good, canopy is good. Gauges -don't know - I plan to use a good 2D pit - not worried about that.

But again - no hook. I tried Rich's hydraulic pressure entry - no can do. Any ideas?

thanks!

dl

Rich
October 8th, 2010, 23:07
I have the AH Seafires working ok both Mks with arrested landing and cat take off with no problems, where did you get them ?

Rich
October 8th, 2010, 23:15
Just checked mine and it seems to have the hydraulic settings as standard not something I put in.

Is the hook not extending on the ground only, have you tried it in flight ? very often because of the setup = length and position it will not extend on the ground but works ok in the air.

You will probably find your self tipping on the nose when you catch a wire which means the hook location needs moving, the cat launch is my addition.

Rich

falcon409
October 8th, 2010, 23:31
Hoping to drown my scenery design headaches and Sea Fury blues in a bit of Seafire fun. . . . . . .
dl
I've actually pieced together (from various threads and suggestions) a Sea Fury that has one problem, rather than being a total problem, lol. The problem is the prop, which even with an FSX prop still makes anything behind it disappear.

Maybe a SeaFire would be a good alternative while I try to figure the other out.

Rich
October 8th, 2010, 23:38
The Sea fury prop can only be fixed in the model.

Rich
October 8th, 2010, 23:44
delta_lima, if you added a hydraulic entry check the aircraft.cfg for another entry it should be there with a pressure of 6.something, if you find that entry leave it there and delete what you put in or you will confuse the poor thing.

If your wing fold worked you have hydraulics and the hook thing is probably as I said it will work in flight but not on the ground

dhasdell
October 9th, 2010, 05:04
Slightly OT but maybe related, as there is a connexion between AH and Just Flight: even with the JF patch, the JF FS9 Spitfires have prop and canopy problems in FSX Acceleration but are ok with SP1, according to the JF support page.

delta_lima
October 9th, 2010, 08:08
delta_lima, if you added a hydraulic entry check the aircraft.cfg for another entry it should be there with a pressure of 6.something, if you find that entry leave it there and delete what you put in or you will confuse the poor thing.

If your wing fold worked you have hydraulics and the hook thing is probably as I said it will work in flight but not on the ground

Yes, fine in the air ...

http://overpixelated.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/picard-facepalm2.jpg?w=450&h=302

Just to round out the Spitfire discussion, has anyone managed to fix the canopy issue for the Plane Design LF 16 model? It too, looks and flies well in FSX A - save of course, for a darkened canopy.

Thanks Rich et al for your help.

dl

Rich
October 9th, 2010, 16:32
AH has the 2 Seafire models FSX converted in the freeware part of their site which work ok no problems that I had to struggle with, do'nt know about the Spitfires though as I am on carrier work only.

Slightly OT but maybe related, as there is a connexion between AH and Just Flight: even with the JF patch, the JF FS9 Spitfires have prop and canopy problems in FSX Acceleration but are ok with SP1, according to the JF support page.

delta_lima, in reality when the hook is extended it locks down and can not be retracted in flight, when the hook catches a wire the lock is pulled off then it will retract hopefully after a safe landing, thats what I understand from various pilots notes

delta_lima
October 9th, 2010, 18:56
AH has the 2 Seafire models FSX converted in the freeware part of their site which work ok no problems that I had to struggle with, do'nt know about the Spitfires though as I am on carrier work only.

delta_lima, in reality when the hook is extended it locks down and can not be retracted in flight, when the hook catches a wire the lock is pulled off then it will retract hopefully after a safe landing, thats what I understand from various pilots notes

Indeed - it's all good. I was just expressing my "I can't believe I didn't think of that" sentiment. It works great now. Extends/retracts perfectly. I have a few gauge issues - didn't know about the FSX version - am trying to get in now, but that part of the site is down.

Many thanks - I'd say my Seafire situation is under control. That is, until a native FSX Mk 47 comes out ... :running:

dl

peter12213
October 9th, 2010, 19:00
No need for Jean-Luc at all hahahhaah!!

delta_lima
October 9th, 2010, 21:51
Rich or anyone else,

What settings do you have for your tailhook? I almos always get a nose-over. I know it's common with a lot of FS taildragger aircraft, but I've managed to get the Corsair and Skyraiders to behave. The Seafire is a bit trickier .....

Here's what I have ...

tailhook_length=4
tailhook_position=-15, 0.0, -2
cable_force_adjust=1.0

any suggestions to better that?

Rich
October 10th, 2010, 15:16
This is what I have for the Seafires.

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=4.3 ;(feet)
tailhook_position=-18.0, 0, 0 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust=4.0

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 5.433, 0.0, -2.522
launch_bar_lug = 10.423, 0.0, -7.42

delta_lima
October 11th, 2010, 07:42
Those work way better than mine - many thanks!!

Rich
October 11th, 2010, 16:52
delta_lima, they should, all my hook and cat settings are done for individual aircraft and not copy paste from another as it rarely works properly. The only taildragger that I can think of that has cat settings is the Wyvern, the only ones I have without cat settings are the Swordfish and Sea Gladiator, in the case of the Swordfish Accel launches it way past it's max speed, Sea Gladiator as far as I can tell was not cat launched anyway

Those work way better than mine - many thanks!!

delta_lima
October 11th, 2010, 20:38
Yes, I can see the virtue of adapting to each plane.

Speaking of the Wyvern, I've been blowing a bit of steam in that too, and have a perfect carrier landing record ... every single carrier landing resulted in a prop strike.

I read it in the notes, but hoped that my technique could prove them wrong, but alas, no can do. I'd love to find out if someone has ever got that issue resolved. It's such a lovely model, but landing that plane is always a trainwreck for me. Even with 15% fuel aboard, proper headwind AND moving carrier, I'm coming aboard no slower than 115 kts, dropping like a rock, can't see squat, and always get a prop strike.

Purposeful, unique, and (coming from the guy who thinks the Tempest II and Sea Fury are sheer magic) - a lovely plane.

Will work on that one later....

thanks again for the Seafire fix - she traps very nicely. I added the RealFlight Spitfire's .air, and find she flies a bit nicer. The glass is definately more than half full, all things considered....

:)

dl

Rich
October 11th, 2010, 22:09
Wyvern hook settings, this will remove prop strikes.

Leave the [launch_assistance] alone it's ok

[tailhook]
tailhook_length = 5.0
tailhook_position = -21.0, 0.0, -1.0
cable_force_adjust=6.0

delta_lima
October 12th, 2010, 08:00
http://rlv.zcache.com/you_da_man_tshirt-p235236063792285256q6xn_400.jpg

:)

that's excellent - many thanks!

robcap
October 14th, 2010, 09:30
[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_lug = 10.423, 0.0, -7.42Can you give me some info on what these numbers represent? I can find info on the tailhook in the SDK, but not on the launch_assistance.
Any help, or link, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Rich
October 14th, 2010, 16:01
robcap, as far as I can tell launch assistance is not documented.

I worked launch assist and tailhook settings by trial and error using 2 lights to position each of them, basically launch_bar_pivot is the position of the attachment on the aircraft and is the same as for contact points and tailhook ie location fore and aft of CoG - left or right of CoG = always 0.0 in this case last set is above or bellow CoG.

launch_bar_lug = 10.423, 0.0, -7.42 is the position of the cat shuttle on the deck and is read the same way, not sure which aircraft settings you quoted but with those figures it looks like it could be one I did for a British style of launch with a strop rather than the close coupled US tow bar thing.

It is very much a trial and error, apply your setting get on the cat launch loc on your carrier in spot view, launch and watch how it behaves sometimes it will be somewhere near ok but very often some or all of the gear disappears through the deck or some other strange happening occurs.

Make your start with a set off a similar aircraft and work from there, sometimes it will work but not that often, if you are not bothered about watching in spot view it does not matter.

We did not put launch assist on the Swordfish as FSX launches it way past its max speed

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_lug = 10.423, 0.0, -7.42

Can you give me some info on what these numbers represent? I can find info on the tailhook in the SDK, but not on the launch_assistance.
Any help, or link, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

robcap
October 15th, 2010, 08:07
Thanks Rich!

I'll give it a go, meanwhile downloaded your carrier to give it a try! Nice job!

Rob.

Rich
October 15th, 2010, 17:22
robcap, If you downloaded HMS Victorious you may find the deck is not level across it's width forward of the crash barriers, Skippy modeled it from plans of when it was built, the port/left side where the cat was is a bit higher to house the cat, for free take off follow the centre line and you will be ok.

delta_lima
February 11th, 2011, 22:40
I never did find a 2D panel that worked for me on this plane - so I'm planning on going back to the stock AH VC. Which is fine, having installed the gauges in fsx pack off their site ... strange thing is, I have no gauges in the VC - or 2D.

Rich, did you get the gauges to show up ok?

thanks,