PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Help With CAB File

HighGround22
October 8th, 2010, 19:00
Hi Folks:

I have a .CAB file that I need to tweak a little bit. Y'know, add a few files, delete a few.

Trouble is, I've never gotten around to learning how to modify .CAB's, but the pigeons have come home to roost, and it's "time". Can anyone give me a steer as to how I might learn how to edit a .CAB?

Many thanks.

piperarcherpilot
October 8th, 2010, 19:08
Dont have a clue what the proper way to modify a .cab file, however, I do know if you extract all the files into a folder and name it the same as the .cab, you should be able to modify the components of it and it should still work just as a folder, and not as a self-contained .cab.

Wozza
October 8th, 2010, 19:42
Hi
I use http://www.izarc.org/download.html its freeware and has a nice interface,it will unzip/make cab files.If the cab file is small you can use the above program to recompress the changed files into a new cab BUT if the cab is a few megs in size you should use the command line Cabdir.exe that comes with the sdk,Ive found that if the cab is large 3rd party cab compression can cause long pause in sim when switching views.There is something in the saved cab file that Msoft sdk Cabdir.exe does differently.
Cheers
Wozza

anthony31
October 9th, 2010, 01:55
I use 7-zip. It adds a menu item to my right click so all I need to do is right click on the .cab file and select 7-zip > Extract Files. Works great for FSX .cab gauge files.

Making cab files though I use the SDK cabdir.exe command which is in the FSX SDK/Simobject Creation Kit/Cabdir SDK.

Bjoern
October 9th, 2010, 04:57
Making cab files though I use the SDK cabdir.exe command which is in the FSX SDK/Simobject Creation Kit/Cabdir SDK.

Just dragging the folder containing the gauges on the Cabdir.exe does the trick as well.

dswo
October 9th, 2010, 05:02
Just dragging the folder containing the gauges on the Cabdir.exe does the trick as well.

That was easy: thank you!

Bjoern
October 9th, 2010, 05:23
That was easy: thank you!

No problem, that's what I'm here for. :d

HighGround22
October 9th, 2010, 05:35
Gee, I came online this morning expecting *maybe* a response to my query. And lo: Wonderful information, guys, and it'll all come in very handy.

Typically (I have a short memory), I'm copying all of the info above into a Word doc which I'll save under FSX/Technical. Works for me.

Many sincere thanks gentlemen! Greatly appreciated!