PDA

View Full Version : ORBX PNW - Grouse Mountain Helipad

mmann
October 7th, 2010, 10:16
Grouse Mountain is the site of an alpine ski area in the winter season and overlooks Greater Vancouver.

Helijet operates from the helipad shown here, offering scenic tours of the area. In the background is the Flight Center building. The landing pad is just 25 feet square, so take care!

Custom 3ds Max objects were created for this scenery to match the real world. I did simplify the Flight Center to keep the poly count low.

OleBoy
October 7th, 2010, 10:24
Nice modeling. It looks great!

mmann
October 7th, 2010, 10:30
Nice modeling. It looks great!

Thanks for the comment!

Actually the modeling is simple but the textures were very time consuming. I try to keep the poly count extremely low to keep the scenery very frame rate friendly. This is best accomplished by including as much detail in the textures and not in the modeling.

OleBoy
October 7th, 2010, 10:35
Very nice.
...One of these days I might get lucky enough to enjoy all this great stuff.

delta_lima
October 7th, 2010, 10:39
Ahhh ... the Grouse Grind ...

My wife and I used to do it all the time before the kids came along - not much of a view, but it's nice once you get to the top!

You've done a great job of capturing the feel of it. Of the three ways of getting there (hiking, cable car, and helo), you've made me want to try flying that route!

cheers,

dl

Lotus
October 7th, 2010, 13:57
I can see that building out my window... well... when the clouds aren't obscuring it, which is 95% of the time hehe. Great job, it's spot on. :)

-Mike

mmann
October 7th, 2010, 14:12
I can see that building out my window... well... when the clouds aren't obscuring it, which is 95% of the time hehe. Great job, it's spot on. :)

-Mike

The clouds obscuring it must be the reason for the dearth of good photos available. Consequently I am basing it on a fair amount of guesswork. Needless to say, I had so little to go on, that I had to quit after doing just the Flight Center and the helipad!

BeaverDriver
October 10th, 2010, 14:05
Fantastic looking project Mike. Please see the PM's that were sent your way. Beautiful work!