PDA

View Full Version : Will the Saitek X-65F work with single engine birds, and multi-like the B-17G?

Roadburner440
October 7th, 2010, 09:01
I have been pondering this question, and looking across the net and have not found a good answer. So maybe fellow members who own the stick here can help. I love my Saitek X-52 stick, unfortunately with the realism that Accu-sim has brought in with the B-17G I have found a need for thrust vectoring in order to help me steer with the weak brakes. I know with Accu-sim I have the engine manager where I can selectiveley control engines (this is a pain in the rear while taxiing), so I imagine having a duel throttle where the left side controls 1&2, and the right side controls 3&4 would be awesome. While the stick obviously would be capable of that I wonder how it affects aircraft with single engines? Or my favorite aircraft of all time my PMDG MD-11X (3 engine). I assume that by linking the 2 throttles together it would work like my X-52 single throttle. You know what they say about assuming though, and I would hate to spend $300+ to find out I have a metal paperweight. Thanks in advance.

glennc
October 7th, 2010, 16:30
Steve,

There is a controller configurator that comes with the Accusim B-17 that will do what you want. I have my Logitech G940 set up that way - works well. Not so much on any other four or more engine airplanes. You can have engines 1 and 2 on their own throttles, but on four or more, that's left side only. About all you can do is use a single throttle. On most turbines I've seen, steering is OK without needing differential thrust. On twins, it works very well. For singles, I assume the Saitek allows latching the throttles into a single throttle, so that's not an issue.

Hope that helps

Glenn

Roadburner440
October 7th, 2010, 17:40
Thanks Glenn.. How is that Logitech stick? My problem is with the X-52 for my Accu-sim birds I have all the turbo's linked to the slider that is near my thumb on the thottle. I like this setup. I also use the switches on the joystick for the flaps, mixture control, prop RPM.. Was looking for someone who actually had a X-65 cause I was wondering what they used for those settings? I am just going to have to dig around the internet some more and look at reviews and see if I can make out all the buttons that are there to see... Like usual just over thinking stuff. The $99 I though was a lot for my original X-52 though. The $300+ is what is making me seek opinions and get thoughts since that is a lot to plunk and find out you messed up.

glennc
October 7th, 2010, 18:40
I like the G940 - a lot. The three pieces work together well. Not all the buttons, sliders and so on work in FSX but there are more than enough to do almost anything you can think of. The Logitech Profiler handles most of the key assignments. The force feedback I think adds a lot to the experience for things like elevator loads. Matched to the Accusim B-17 and its controller configurator, its as close to ideal as I can dream. I had a Saitek X-52 with pedals set before the G940. It was OK - this is better.

Glenn

Roadburner440
October 7th, 2010, 18:46
Well that is good. At least you upgraded from what I have so you would know. How good is it at flying helicopters? That is the only gripe I have with the X-52 is that spring detent thing on the cyclic makes it almost impossible to precisely control helicopters in a hover. After that thread a month or so back people were saying to zip tie the spring (which I did) and that was a massive improvement. The touch sensing thing seemed like plus for that... I will do some research on this Logitech stick though. I haven't had a force feedback one since my original Sidewinder Force Feedback II.