PDA

View Full Version : Will this Work

dandog
October 5th, 2010, 20:27
Hello All,

I stubled upon an Intel 775 motherboard with a Core 2 Duo, 2.00 GHz cpu, 1000 FSB. Will this and a 1 GB Video card let me run FSX? Thinking of dabbling in the "Dark Side"!

Meshman
October 5th, 2010, 20:55
With "modest" settings, you could get FSX to work. My initial computer for FSX was a C2D 2.66 and an ATi 512mb video card. As long as I didn't get crazy I would see mid-20s for FPS. Fine for a low and slow type flight.

Get crazy with the sliders and you'll see single digits...

Greets from KRIR country! :wavey:

Daube
October 6th, 2010, 01:51
2GHz is too slow, you will end up with a lot of frustration only :/
Save your money ;)

txnetcop
October 6th, 2010, 03:12
I have to agree with both the above answers...huh? Yep you can do it and with some low to medium settings you can avg 20-25fps but you won't be satisfied there and you might end up frustrated. Tell me what your drop dead budget and I will give you some info on what will work. I test hardware for a living at TechCorp.
Ted

dandog
October 6th, 2010, 18:40
Thanks All,

I do not have a budget. I do have a wife and 2 kids, 2 dogs, an other extraneous pets. Plus, I am in real estate. Getting by, but not ahead. I shall see what providence provides. It is amazing what people abandon when their house gets repo'd (talk about the dark side). I found the C2D, mobos, 4 80 gig sata HD's (2 with Win WP Pro, lots of different RAM, brand new towers (with wimpy 350 watt PSU's, and all kinds of other related items. Maybe something else will show up.

Just curious though, what IS an entry level CPU/graphics card combo for FSX? Midway on sliders and some AI. I'd be happy with 25 FPS.

Thanks again.

Daube
October 7th, 2010, 01:25
I was having happy times with my Q6600 2,4GHz that was overclocked to 2,75GHz, with 3 Gb of RAM and a 8800GTX with 768 Mb of RAM on it. I had a good visual quality and a stable performance as long as I was staying away from the major airports like JFK or Paris.

Nevertheless, I could make IFR flights to medium airports without any problems, and I had some WOAI packages installed. Not 100's of them of course, but some of the major internationnal companies in order to get AI aircrafts a little bit everywhere on the globe.

Don't get me wrong, I could land in major airports with a perfectly flyable sim, but the FPS would get around the 15-17 only in those case, which was not as fluid as the normal areas. In those normal areas, I was maintaining a stable 25 locked FPS limit. With unlimited FPS, it would vary between 25 and 40, depending on what was on the screen.

When limiting the visual settings in order to mach the level of detail of the FS9 world, My FPS were fluctuating between 40 and 70 FPS with a default aircraft over Seattle.

The Q6600 is a cheap quadcore computer. 2,4GHz is quite slow, but 2,75 was better, so if you can find somewhere a CPU that is faster, it would be a better choice. The 4 cores were very helpfull with photosceneries, too.