PDA

View Full Version : DCS A-10C Prerelease Beta.........RELEASED!!!!

BOOM
October 5th, 2010, 13:32
Prepay for Final Download version........and get beta for immediate download!!!:jump:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

YoYo
October 5th, 2010, 13:43
Is it an FSX subject? Im not sure ... ;)

empeck
October 5th, 2010, 13:49
There are many off topic threads here ;) Sometimes you have to take a break from FSX :wavey:

Can't wait to buy new DCS, but I have to wait few months.

BOOM
October 5th, 2010, 13:54
Is it an FSX subject? Im not sure ... ;)

Yes You are correct YoYo,but lots of Simmers here GA/Combat are waiting to hear some news on this.
Cheers

SADT
October 5th, 2010, 14:04
I wonder if DCS: A-10 will have a training/free flight mode where you can fly around the various maps to get the feel for the plane and scenery. (I know that it is primarily a combat sim)

BOOM
October 5th, 2010, 14:12
It's Predecessor The DCS Black Shark does,I'm sure The A-10C will as well.:salute:

Bone
October 5th, 2010, 14:28
Do you have to already have DCS:Blackshark installed to run this? I'm not really clear if it's an addon or a stand-alone sim by itself?

Scratch
October 5th, 2010, 14:31
It is a standalone sim even more complex than Black Shark. I have it installed, but haven't had the chance to fly it yet.

Bone
October 5th, 2010, 14:37
Thanks.

BOOM
October 5th, 2010, 14:54
It is a standalone sim even more complex than Black Shark. I have it installed, but haven't had the chance to fly it yet.

Oh,Oh, You Sneaky SOB!!!! You were smart and downloaded BEFORE you leaked the news!!! I'm looking at anther 2hrs D/L time because of my Big Mouth!!!:jump: lol!!!

Here's a Beta user's vid of a training mission for those wondering How it looks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3a6olrb10

ryanbatc
October 5th, 2010, 16:11
$60 for a beta? icky!

Do they include the full version once it's released for free?

empeck
October 5th, 2010, 16:16
$60 for a beta? icky!

Do they include the full version once it's released for free?

It's not $60 for beta. It's a $60 for pre-order with access to beta. You'll get constant beta updates, and full version version after release.

Gibbage
October 6th, 2010, 12:02
Very impressive! Just one question. Is there selectable levels of difficulty? I am a simmer, but nothing bores me more then 15 mins of startup and flipping switches. I wanna get up in the air, and splode stuff!!! :salute:

Kiwikat
October 6th, 2010, 12:13
Is it just me or do those beta videos not look as good as the IRIS A-10 in FSX? :kilroy:

Maybe my expectations are a bit too high?

SADT
October 6th, 2010, 12:48
Kiwikat: I agree, the Iris A-10 does look slightly higher def, but then again, it may just be the video.

Gdavis101
October 6th, 2010, 14:19
Does it make use of multi-core computers? Or is it the same engine that Blackshark used?

forgeknight
October 6th, 2010, 14:33
This is by far the best flight sim game I have ever played. Puts FSX to shame. For those on the fence, my computer is by far from being top notch, if you can run Blackshark you can run A10 and you will be in awe. It is worth every bit of the $60.

Scratch
October 6th, 2010, 14:47
Is it just me or do those beta videos not look as good as the IRIS A-10 in FSX? :kilroy:

Maybe my expectations are a bit too high?

It looks much better on my computer than on any video I have seen so far.

BOOM
October 6th, 2010, 15:20
Does it make use of multi-core computers? Or is it the same engine that Blackshark used?

No, The beta is single core right now,But it should be optimized in final release.

ps BlackShark after a recent patch has {some} multicore capability,it sets sounds to 1 core and sets Affinity for Multicores.

@Gibbage There is a "Game" mode for the A-10C but it looks REAL ARCADISH!! You can start engines w/t simple key commands simular to CTL/E.Also you can start on ramp w/t engines running.

The biggest problem is setting/Programing a profile for your Hotas/Fighter stick,Lots-n-Lots of buttons!!

It took me 5hrs to download and some directX trouble, plus some throttle teething pains but I did get some stick time in late last night and I can tell you the feeling of flight from the flight model is beyond anything I've felt in any simulation.I'd love to hear from Real GA Pilots to hear their thoughts?

As soon as I can get my Kid off the Gaming PC I'll post some screenshots!:jump:
Cheers!

jetstreamsky
October 6th, 2010, 18:23
It looks much better on my computer than on any video I have seen so far.

The in cockpit fidelity is stunning, I hadn't realised how old FSX is getting.

empeck
October 7th, 2010, 00:04
There is another thing - it's the first simulator (and one of the first games) that runs as 64bit application. Of course it works on 32bit XP/Vista/7 too. If you run 64bit Windows, remember to install optional 32bit binaries if you're TIR user. Track IR doesn't work with 64bit binaries yet.

BOOM
October 7th, 2010, 02:57
A few screens............

centuryseries
October 7th, 2010, 04:50
Sitting here waiting for it to finish downloading, been checking out the screenshots over at the DCS forums and I must say the detail looks incredible - not only is it the closest I think we will see a combat sim be to real life on a PC, but the graphics are looking amazing - the shadows are proper shadows ie not pixelated like FSX, they have soft edges, the paint work seems to even have scratches and scuffs that get picked up in the light, all the rivets seem to be there!

Turn inverted, the engines fail like in real life, you can start with a cold cockpit, apparently it even has transparent water - never seen that done before in a PC sim.

Only 2 hours to go................. :salute:

strykerpsg
October 7th, 2010, 05:40
I flew this for a few hours last night and all I can say is Wow! I actually held off buying Iris A-10 in lieu of this behemoth. It was a few more dollars, but I also get an environment that is hostilely trying to shoot me down. The graphics are indeed stunning and with TIR5, it is truely immersive. However, I think I have to turn off the G induced head movement, sorta screws me up with the TIR5 movement too. Anyone on the fence will truely love the attention to detail and hi fidelity systems installed with this plane. Since it is a beta, know there are still some graphical anomallies, such as shadows of planes on the ground you can see and hear, but the physical plane is missing.

Matt

flaviossa
October 7th, 2010, 05:51
empeck,
Do you know if in the final version TIR will function with 64 bits binaries?
Thanks!

Ps1: Donīt worry, i saw it in np forum ... at least they say that they are working on it!

Ps2: Can you point where are the a10 32bits version? I cant find them... (I didnīt download it yet)

empeck
October 7th, 2010, 06:15
According to what I saw on ED forums, you have to tick 32bit binaries during installation, and then you'll have four desktop icons - 32bit and 64bit for single and multiplayer.

I haven't bought Warthog yet, and I'd love to fly both Iris and DCS :frown:

JIMJAM
October 7th, 2010, 07:04
Couple quick questions from a owner of all their previos releases.

Is this beta complete enough to learn the systems? Is there a manual,pdf ect? The full releases are tough enough to absorb and I do not want to torture myself with bits and pieces.
And the million $$ question. About how far is the full release out? Weeks, months.... Thanks

BOOM
October 7th, 2010, 07:32
JimJam,Release for Final Download version is slated before the end of the yr,There are training missions[guided voice in cockpit w/t you to teach different aircraft systems.

The Manual is very in depth 600+ pgs and is available for download here.......
http://www.mediafire.com/?yfilpl8nt0cve90

Also,a sample of training Engine Start from the Sim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MDnglKtcSA&feature=related

strykerpsg
October 7th, 2010, 07:39
I have noticed during the training missions, that there are times the voice over hasn't finished the previous statement before moving onto the next. I think I am clicking the highlighted switches too fast. Having said that though, I really like the highlighted switches for the tutorials, instead of hunting for them.

JIMJAM
October 7th, 2010, 07:46
The headache has begun.

I bought the beta and now trying to download the parts.
A window pops up asking for my username and password. Nothing seems to make it happy.
Ive tried my username and for the password my,,uummm password, Ive tried my serial and order number.

What is entered in the username and password blanks? The ones I created to open the account and pay for the beta?

BOOM
October 7th, 2010, 07:55
The headache has begun.

I bought the beta and now trying to download the parts.
A window pops up asking for my username and password. Nothing seems to make it happy.
Ive tried my username and for the password my,,uummm password, Ive tried my serial and order number.

What is entered in the username and password blanks? The ones I created to open the account and pay for the beta?
This happens when the server is Overloaded[Happened to me Aswell] You won't have to enter anything once you get a connection,People have said they get better results using the torrent option.
It took me over 5hr w/t broadband connection,It's over 4Gigs.

centuryseries
October 7th, 2010, 08:12
I know the idea is you're not meant to crash the plane, but I just ejected at 50 feet as i was certain the aircraft was about to hit terra firma, and the aircraft touched the ground skidded bounced back into the air and then pitched up and then plummted straight into the ground.

I've never seen flight modelling fidelity like that in a game before!!

Plus the shrapnel and close promity bomb blast peppers your fuselage with bump mapped holes!!

FPS is fantastic on my Win7 64 bit system.

This is the future of Combat sims!

JIMJAM
October 7th, 2010, 08:12
Ok so you enter your username and password you created when you registered?

ps

Ok got it going. If you are easily frustrated this is just a test for the sim to see if you can cut it!!!!!!
In my case I use DAP a download accelerator and I got 2 files dling at once. But it alway dropped one incomplete and when I try to resume it I get the enter password popup. I have 2 complete and best I can tell you can only download one at a time. My avg speed is around 600 kb or so.

stiz
October 7th, 2010, 16:56
some brilliant screenshots ere http://www.dalsgaard.eu/2010-10-07.Screenshots.DCS.A-10C.Sim.Beta.build/

ryanbatc
October 7th, 2010, 18:29
By the way the graphics look pretty good.

What sort of system does one need to run this baby?

Will my aging AMD6000/8800GT 4GB ram run this thing well? Or are we talking core i7 930 overclocked to 4Ghz + GTX480 style?

centuryseries
October 8th, 2010, 00:50
I use an i7 920 2.67Ghz with 6Gb RAM. Windows Vista 64. It seems so far to have very very few stutters - and apparently the sim is yet to be optimized.

BOOM
October 8th, 2010, 03:06
Quad 9650@3Ghz 8gigs ram GTX260,Vista 64, I'm using Medium/High settings and it's very,very smooth,but I haven't got into intense combat yet.

centuryseries
October 8th, 2010, 12:24
but I haven't got into intense combat yet.

Me neither, too scared!

Like the tooltips! Today I learned that you can nearly float on the water, I managed to rip the nosewheel tire off during fast runway manuevering - like the spark effects.

Got the new AI F-15E up into the air in the editor, she looks great, love the spec effects on the paint jobs!

Lotus
October 8th, 2010, 13:40
I'm really enjoying it so far, though it's more than a bit daunting in the complexity department. It definitely gives a new spin on the term "study sim", which in my case seems to mean a lot more studying than simming, haha. The in-game tutorials are really well done, though sadly unfinished at this point. I'm sure they'll be a big help in the end product.

The FPS is generally pretty good but strangely variable. At times it seems to dive a bit low for no obvious reason, but as they've said the engine is far from optimized at this point.

The gunnery is really really satisfying and a good challenge. Achieving lock-on with mavericks, however, feels like threading a needle with 10 gauge steel cable at the moment, and I have yet to hit anything but earth with a GBU, but it's still good fun! :)

The flight model is particularly good, heavy and with a nice organic feel, and with very realistic stall behaviour. It's not at all stiff feeling like Lomac was. The stick is pretty sensitive with default settings but that's easily cured with some fiddling in the calibration options.

-Mike

centuryseries
October 9th, 2010, 02:00
I think this simulation is probably going to drag me away from FSX - it's so much more pleasing on the eye, and so much more realistic - it's quite amazing how dated FSX was even when it was released, let alone now when we can feast our eyes on this!

Akatsuki
October 9th, 2010, 06:55
I think this simulation is probably going to drag me away from FSX - it's so much more pleasing on the eye, and so much more realistic - it's quite amazing how dated FSX was even when it was released, let alone now when we can feast our eyes on this!

Exactly my thoughts.

ryanbatc
October 9th, 2010, 07:56
I use an i7 920 2.67Ghz with 6Gb RAM. Windows Vista 64. It seems so far to have very very few stutters - and apparently the sim is yet to be optimized.

And what video card? You guys with i7's and GTX260 are running on medium - I'm guessing my system won't run it.

Maybe my dad's will though...

Ive been trying lomac again -it has waaay too many bugs on vista x64. Sigh

Scratch
October 9th, 2010, 13:06
The FPS is generally pretty good but strangely variable. At times it seems to dive a bit low for no obvious reason, but as they've said the engine is far from optimized at this point

-Mike

I've noticed this too. I still can't figure out why it drops to single digits sometimes with nothing really going on.

centuryseries
October 10th, 2010, 01:43
And what video card? You guys with i7's and GTX260 are running on medium - I'm guessing my system won't run it.

Maybe my dad's will though...

Ive been trying lomac again -it has waaay too many bugs on vista x64. Sigh

Sorry GTX 285 card.

Has anyone tried creating a quick mission in mission editor and set the time of day to 18.00 hrs with some cloud - talk about atmospheric!!

Still struggling to work out how to target things for precision weapons though lol

Gibbage
October 11th, 2010, 10:58
@Gibbage There is a "Game" mode for the A-10C but it looks REAL ARCADISH!! You can start engines w/t simple key commands simular to CTL/E.Also you can start on ramp w/t engines running.

Thanks. Thats one of the biggest problems I have with almost any flight sim, in that there is NO middle ground. Its full real, or arcade! IL2 was like that alot in that there is a huge leap from arcade into full with no real buffer zone to ease you into it. People who are not totally stubbern like me tend to get scared off when they try to make that jump. WWII aircraft are a LOT less complex then a modern jet!!!! The MFD alone takes more time to learn then proper pitch/mixture controle on a P-51. Then you have the weapons system, and keeping an eye on all those gauges in combat? Makes my head dizzy. I just wish there was a semi-sim mode that took care of the little things, but kept the flight model and weapons model realistic. That way I can have fun, be challanged, and not need to learn a new vocation!

empeck
October 14th, 2010, 15:14
JTAC in DCS:

VySAvTZOVUI

wow.

MenendezDiego
October 15th, 2010, 00:28
Exactly my thoughts.

I havn't flown flight sim since this came out...except tonight when I tried the new Iris update for their A-10A...it's just not the same anymore

DCS has raised the bar

Diego

BOOM
October 15th, 2010, 12:02
I haven't touched FSX since this hit my PC,I probably won't until FTX Pacific Fjords or Vertigo Studios F9F Panther come out.I'm amazed how smooth and stutter free it is now in Beta!!!
Just imagine how it will run when optimized!!!!!!!!:jump:

hews500d
October 15th, 2010, 13:24
Ok. That does it!!! Somehow I gotta figure out a way to buy this thing this weekend :)

Darrell

centuryseries
October 15th, 2010, 14:13
I really think this game is revolutionary, for me the start up procedure (its about as far as I've got with learning anything) is just an incredible experience - hearing the APU fire up, the little dip in the APU noise as you start an engine spooling.

The sun is incredibly realistic, the water is the best I've seen, the cities are great, the power cables - well you can fly through them or slice them with your wings and get sparked. For the switch junkies out there, this will definately satisfy your needs!! :jump: