PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Operating System

hey_moe
October 5th, 2010, 03:11
Has anyone downloaded and installed Googles Chrome OS yet? I don't mean just Chrome for surfing but their OS. I been reading about it and I was wonder if anyone has done this and what did they think of it....Mike

Mathias
October 5th, 2010, 03:36
I would rather give all my sensitive data to Bill Gates than installing a Google OS.:a1089:

James
October 5th, 2010, 03:57
I would rather give all my sensitive data to Bill Gates than installing a Google OS.

AMEN!:applause::applause:

Daveroo
October 5th, 2010, 05:12
whats so awfull wrong with google?

kilo delta
October 5th, 2010, 08:40
whats so awfull wrong with google?

Nothing as far as I'm concerned....they're no worse than MS or Apple.

Bjoern
October 5th, 2010, 09:22
If can handle DirectX applications, I might try it once it's out.

Lionheart
October 5th, 2010, 10:24
Im curious myself Mike. I have been trying to catch any info I can on it. I didnt know they released a version to the public already.

The odd thing is that the prez of Google has been on the board at Apple for years and now he is coming out with his own OS, which is kind of 'competing' with Apple. Wether Steve see's it that way is a factor.

I am into the whole OS thing and it would be interesting if Chrome became a major player in the years to come, like in Asia where Linux has really taken off.

Also, Google tend to do things right. They have held their ground in the web search business. Try to buy stock in that company, lol.. Difficult as its always peaked in value.

Bill

OleBoy
October 5th, 2010, 10:25
I would rather give all my sensitive data to Bill Gates than installing a Google OS.:a1089:

+1

I'm not too far away. Atleast the drive to incrimination will be relaxing :rocket:

hey_moe
October 5th, 2010, 14:36
I got a couple of drives in my pooter and I tink I am gonna give it a try.To me Google by far has the best search engine out there. They also did a nice job on viewing around the world and also flying around the world.Matter of fact just about everything Google has done has been nice and I don't think they have charged anything. So they will always have my vote on something to try...Mike

Lionheart
October 5th, 2010, 15:42
I got a couple of drives in my pooter and I tink I am gonna give it a try.To me Google by far has the best search engine out there. They also did a nice job on viewing around the world and also flying around the world.Matter of fact just about everything Google has done has been nice and I don't think they have charged anything. So they will always have my vote on something to try...Mike

I agree. Let us not forget, they have a free flight simulator with photo real scenery! lol...

I read up a little earlier today on the OS. Its said to be very basic and based on, designed for web browsing and playing media, movies and music, etc. Sounds like it would be great in a tablet device. That is essentially what Apple OS and iOS4 is.

I also read its basically Linux based, so perhaps it will run some Linux programs?

Bill

hey_moe
October 5th, 2010, 15:57
I am downloading it now, it looks like it takes about an hour and ya have to burn the ISO on a disk/ reboot it on the drive you want and go from there.....what else ya got to do...Mike

Lionheart
October 5th, 2010, 17:21
Man.. I wish I had a empty mini Laptop drive. I would burn it to that, lol.. arrgh.

Ickie
October 6th, 2010, 03:22
8 PM last night and hey moe is awol, hummm, must have been googled

Ickie
October 6th, 2010, 12:04
Yep, he googled it up :icon_lol:

Lionheart
October 6th, 2010, 12:35
lolol...

That or he was so entranced on it, that he's in there checking out how everything works.

Hopefully it didnt take out his other drives.

demorier
October 6th, 2010, 16:08
I haven't got a spare drive these days...but would be very interested to here a users results...so far I like google stuff.

hey_moe
October 6th, 2010, 16:40
It seems just about all the downloads are done in ISO format. It installs just like a regular operation system. Ickie for you >> http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/19/guide-install-google-chrome-os/

Ickie
October 7th, 2010, 05:32
I have been using linux for 11 years on my servers and a few times at home, I have had my belly full of linux, no thanks for every day use, windows is all I need.

txnetcop
October 7th, 2010, 05:47
I like the security of Linux but Ickie you nailed it...long live Windows! I'm testing out Windows Server 2008 as the Medisoft folks demand it for version 17 of their clinical software and so far it is very impressive. Excellent security and power, however a little complex. I would like to see a dashboard for easier use.
Ted

Ickie
October 7th, 2010, 05:58
We use windows 2008 on our other server and it looks like windows 7, lol and works just like windows.
Ask gigabyte to give you special permission for a day to look it over

Lionheart
October 7th, 2010, 13:28
So Mike, what do you think? Is it cool? Is it smooth?

hey_moe
October 7th, 2010, 15:12
So far each time I have tried to download it something has got corrupted...story of my life...lol...Mike
So Mike, what do you think? Is it cool? Is it smooth?

Lionheart
October 8th, 2010, 00:51
arrgh...

I hope you get it working.

I wonder if we can order it on CD..

hey_moe
October 8th, 2010, 03:16
I finally got a good DL this morning and burnt it to a DVD. I don't have time to install it this morning. I also found if you don't have a spare hard drive you can install it on a blank USB 1 gig or more. If you can't afford 5 bucks I'll mail one to ya...lol. Google how to install Google OS on a usd drive...Mike
arrgh...

I hope you get it working.

I wonder if we can order it on CD..

Lionheart
October 8th, 2010, 11:36
I have a little collection of Flash Drives. I would like to place this on its own HD though and try it out.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of this.

Bill

stuartcox
October 8th, 2010, 20:52
What are you actually expecting from this?
Established OS's do everything.

hey_moe
October 9th, 2010, 04:56
Bill I finally got it installed....yepeeeee! Get this I had a old WD36 GIG 10,000 rpm HD in the closet...lol.One of the things I noticed is I am having a hard time finding drivers. One thing I did find out is this OS doesn't support a triple monitor system. It does support wireless hardware...ect..ect. I am using it now and it is faster on the surfing part and boot up. Ickie has more training and experience on this OS than I do...this is all new to me...MIke

Lionheart
October 9th, 2010, 09:32
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to get a little HD and check it out. Sounds pretty cool.

So, I guess drivers are for Linux then. Just have to go to them to find all the drivers.

Who in the heck has drivers for a tri-screen???? lol...

GT182
October 9th, 2010, 09:50
I take it it also means no drivers for joysticks for flying sims. No gaming with Chrome?

What would kill M$ is a new OS that all of our present gaming would work on and also have better security.

hey_moe
October 10th, 2010, 02:01
Well understanding this OS is the fun part. It uploaded and updated the drivers once ya figured out how to do it. According to Goggle and the blogs it is more set up for researching and surfing and it is faster on the searching and speed of downloading web pages. It does have most of the programs you need for documenting, printing, ect...ect.I also noticed it boots up and shuts down really fast. I feel if Goggle sticks to their plan they might give MS a run for their money. I guess it is still so new to get a full understanding on what Goggle is trying to do. It's just another challenge to look forward too...Mike