PDA

View Full Version : To paint, or not to paint. That IS the question.

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 07:10
I've thought about this several times since getting into this flight simulator stuff. I see where some people paint what they please and release it to the rest of the members. Almost like there are no concerns regarding what they paint.
.....I also notice that military flying craft in general get painted by the masses of about everything there is under the sun.

My question. Are these aircraft paint schemes not falling under copyright, or is this not a concern due to the aircraft being bought and paid for by the people of the country it represents?

Some are consumed by copyright. They paint schemes to flaunt in front of us and never share them.
.......My thoughts, don't show me what I can't enjoy too.

My ways of thinking are, if there are pictures found freely on the internet, it's open for use. Not the picture itself, but what it represents in that picture. If someone is displaying something they are doing so because they are proud of what they have and want to share with everyone else. When they fly their craft in airshows, park it at the airport, or wherever that may be, it is on display. Pictures will happen.

I'm not going anywhere with this topic. I just wanted to get other peoples views.

falcon409
October 3rd, 2010, 07:24
I have two thoughts about doing repaints. One is, if I see a livery for an airplane I enjoy flying and feel I can do it justice in FSX or FS9 I go to work and paint it. I'm not concerned at all with copyrights. If some aircraft owner in Norway or Texas wants to sue me because I used his livery on an airplane for FSX. . .feel free. I don't have anything, so suing me would cost him/them far more than they would ever get out of me.

My second thought is this. . .when I post an image of a livery I've done or a panel I've redesigned and I get one response and 375 views. . . .it's not getting uploaded for use by anyone else. If people can take the time to view, but don't feel the need to post a comment. . .then the interest isn't there and I see no reason to upload it.

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 07:32
wellllllllll, this is the way i see it, and i believe that in this country its also the law.. BUT, I'm an american. My taxes i paid all my life went and paid for that F-18 you see on the deck of the boat that my taxes also paid for ( well, mine and a few million other people ). By Law, that plane and that boat is the property of the United States of America, and by decree of the Continental Congress and the Declaration of Independence, We the people, ARE the United States of America, so by default, that plane belongs to me and everyone else here. There is no copyright. If you want to paint, you may do so without concern. Besides, the American Military has always been very big on PR. Thats what the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds are all about.. They like it when they are represented in a positive light..

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 07:41
I appreciate the responses thus far. I've a feeling this topic is going to get very in depth and interesting.

Warrant
October 3rd, 2010, 07:41
My two cents; If the stuff you get from the internet for free, as an example for or to be used in a repaint that's ok. If you release that repaint for free (and state in the readme file attached it must be kept free), and you do not mock or harm anyone with it, no harm is done and that is ok as well.
The true question is, is someones copyright violated by gaining profit or not.

huub vink
October 3rd, 2010, 08:21
As I have said before, I just paint what I personally like. I think making repaints is quite relaxing as it makes you focus on something completely loose from daily life. Occasionally I do a request and I have done textures for several freeware projects which I thought were interesting.

In most cases I upload the repaints I make, as there might be somebody who wants it. I don't have the feeling I "give" something. For me it is sharing a thing I personally wanted or wanted to make. In the early CFS day this was a quite common thing to do.....

I never worry about copyright issues. I don't have a clue what might be copyrighted, but when I am allowed to take an picture from a real aircraft and sell this picture via sites like Airliners.net, I don't think a company of Air Force will bring me to court for a repaint, which is made available for free.

Cheers,
Huub

modelr
October 3rd, 2010, 08:53
As a downloader, becuse I haven't been able to perfect any building/painting skills, yet, I highly appreciate any and all uploads of paints/models/panels/airfiles, etc. While I don't download everything, I do a lot, especially if it is interesting to me. Since my interests are very far reaching, that's a lot of downloads.

To falcon409: Let me put my thanks to what you have put up, and will in the future. I don't post a comment on everything I see or would like, because I have limited time in R/L. I may, and usually do, download something as soon as it is released, but usually don't get to install it, let alone tryi it out, for months, strictly due to R/L time constraints. Believe me, I would love to have the time to perfect my skills to anywhere close to what yours are, but the time I spend behind the wheel of a big rig makes that impossible. (Not whining, just stating fact.) So count me as one of those views, who actually do want what you post. Or I wouldn't have viewed it in the first place. Thanks.

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 11:57
No, I wasn't creating a poll. I find it odd that there has been 143 views and little comment. I realize the question has only been here for a short time, but I actually was expecting more input. Oh well.
.....I appreciate feedback received thus far. And I tend to agree with everyone and their way of thinking.

italoc
October 3rd, 2010, 12:20
Aren't we too much concerned about copyright ???
After all painting textures (almost always free) for a "virtual" aircraft does not enter in the
activities that are covered by copyright regulations, I guess !!!
It's like taking pictures at airshows !!!! (I've got hundreds of aircrafts photos taken at various locations and never thought of breaking some copyright reg)
That's my view: please get on uploading repaints we all enjoy !!!
Italo

jankees
October 3rd, 2010, 12:29
my 2 cents: I've never worried much about copyright.
I fail to see how my painting a virtual aircraft is going to infringe some aircraft owner's copyrights?

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 12:35
Aren't we too much concerned about copyright ???
After all painting textures (almost always free) for a "virtual" aircraft does not enter in the
activities that are covered by copyright regulations, I guess !!!
It's like taking pictures at airshows !!!! (I've got hundreds of aircrafts photos taken at various locations and never thought of breaking some copyright reg)
That's my view: please get on uploading repaints we all enjoy !!!
Italo

That's the way I was thinking. I repaint because I can. And do enjoy it and sharing my abilities.
......And, I'll do just that. The uploading part. I don't see any harm.
I never thought you were watching what I paint. Betcha can't guess what I'm going to upload next :D

my 2 cents: I've never worried much about copyright.
I fail to see how my painting a virtual aircraft is going to infringe some aircraft owner's copyrights?

Thanks for the input Jankees :salute:

djscoo
October 3rd, 2010, 12:44
Taking a picture of an aircraft is not the same as reproducing someone else's work and putting your own name on it. If the aircraft is publicly owned, then there shouldn't be an issue with copyright, but private aircraft paint schemes are designed by artists who deserve to be credited for their work.

GrinningJester
October 3rd, 2010, 13:35
Taking a picture of an aircraft is not the same as reproducing someone else's work and putting your own name on it. If the aircraft is publicly owned, then there shouldn't be an issue with copyright, but private aircraft paint schemes are designed by artists who deserve being credited for their work.

Very very doubtful that you are violating any copyright law by creating a virtual replica of a particular paintscheme.

The copyright law is probably very weak on a situation like this though.

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 14:08
Thanks to everyone who's responded to my question. It was interesting to read your comments and I can't agree with all of you more.
.....Some of you likely know where I was headed and why I was asking. That question is derived from my latest paint scheme for the Pitts S1 based in (was) in Great Britain, depicting G-REAP. Now posted in the sticky topics at the top of the forum here.

Enjoy Folks

Stratobat
October 3rd, 2010, 16:45
My feeling on this is that it is a hobby and as long as you are keeping it freeware then there shouldn't be any issues. That being said, it doesn't take much to send an e-mail to someone requesting permission to create a virtual repaint of their aircraft.

In fact, you may just find that they are ardent flight simmers themselves.

Regards,
Stratobat